Thinking about upgrading my phone's

w6pea

"Old Jarhead"
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 21, 2011
Mexifornia aka San Diego, Ca.
I have to basic service cellphones. My wife and I share 700mins. We never use even half of that between the two of use.:coffee

My wife has a business....she wants to be able to accept credit cards when we are out in the field. We deal with Equestrian people and events. (Endurance Rides) We have a credit card machine. We can use a Square to accept CC's out in the field, for a minimal % fee, with no monthly fee. Our credit card company says they are un safe to use. (I think they are blowing smoke and just want us to use their CC Reader for an additional fee plus % of the sale) :rant: :mad: :censored:

Any way if I add or upgrade to a Smart Phone our carrier wants me to go into another 2 year contract and add a data plan. For and additional 30 bucks for 2gb of usage. That would be over and above the what I am paying them now.:mad: :rant::censored:

Also would it be better to get a android based or an i-Phone?
I can basically get a Droid Phone for free but get stuck in another 2yr, Or pay a rip-off amount for an i-Phone. both os have an app for the Square type device's. :facepalm

If you are only going to use it for a credit card reader why not just spend the money for a tablet that has 3G/4G and use that. This way you only have to get the data plan on a month to month basis. You wouldn't have to worry about the extra costs unless you planned on using it that month.

Now if you are really want a smart phone then both iPhone and Android would be good choices. The only problem is you will be stuck in a new 2 year contract and also have to maintain the data plan on the phone every month. Also remember that Android has a short life cycle for updates to their devices and iOS is normally supported on the older iPhones for much longer.

no contract, pay as you go plans

You didn't mention your current monthly cost.
We've had this discussion before, so I won't beat it to death, but...
Straight Talk is unlimited talk/text/411/& a lot of data (2gb?) for $45
They're a reseller, in some places of AT&T.

....[removed distracting talk of T-mobile plans]...

As for handsets, I'd suggest a used AT&T iPhone 4S, around $250-350.
I'm currently helping two friends find some right now.
(that's last years model, & many users are getting new iPhone 5)

Not as familiar with used Android prices, but there are always users looking for their next toy.
Perhaps an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3?
Yes, a very desirable phone, but the spoiled don't even have a 6 month attention span! ;)

Why this works best on Straight Talk over AT&T ...
phones locked to AT&T work just fine, as is! ;)

Last edited:
Anole

Right now I am paying just shy of about $90.00 bucks for the two phones. If I get a new smartphone I can keep my same minutes fee's but need to add an additional $30. bucks for data plan.:rant:

hidden fees & taxes

I was grandfathered into a sweet little $30/month talk-only plan for about 8 years.
Trouble was, once the City, State, & Fed were through with me every month, I paid $35.

Right now I am paying just shy of about $90.00 bucks for the two phones. If I get a new smartphone I can keep my same minutes fee's but need to add an additional $30. bucks for data plan.:rant:

I see we've hit a nerve! ;)
Two smart phones would be $45 + $45 = $90/month, and not a penny more.
The savings add up, year after year.

Often, the savings over 10..12..14 months will pay for a well-shopped smartphone, out right.
But to be fair, you must consider all the fees 'n charges.
And shop for deals on the new (or used) handsets.
(that $650-700 phone can be had new for $500-550! & hundreds less, used!)

Lastly, you must operate in an area with good AT&T service.
I live and travel within the 100 mile radius of Los Angeles, and spent the 10+ years on AT&T, so not a risk for me. :)

Only want one smartphone, not two?
...or a way to test the service?
Did I mention they have a $30/mo plan: 1000 min, 1000 text, free 411, & 30mb data?
If you paid $45 + $30 = $70, instead of $90 + $30 = $120, how many months would it take to pay off some handsets? ;)

Well, I think I've beat this horse to death.
Just one question: what carrier are you with now?

I was grandfathered into a sweet little $30/month talk-only plan for about 8 years.
Trouble was, once the City, State, & Fed were through with me every month, I paid $35.

I see we've hit a nerve! ;)
Two smart phones would be $45 + $45 = $90/month, and not a penny more.
The savings add up, year after year.

Often, the savings over 10..12..14 months will pay for a well-shopped smartphone, out right.
But to be fair, you must consider all the fees 'n charges.
And shop for deals on the new (or used) handsets.
(that $650-700 phone can be had new for $500-550! & hundreds less, used!)

Lastly, you must operate in an area with good AT&T service.
I live and travel within the 100 mile radius of Los Angeles, and spent the 10+ years on AT&T, so not a risk for me. :)

Only want one smartphone, not two?
...or a way to test the service?
Did I mention they have a $30/mo plan: 1000 min, 1000 text, free 411, & 30mb data?
If you paid $45 + $30 = $70, instead of $90 + $30 = $120, how many months would it take to pay off some handsets? ;)

Well, I think I've beat this horse to death.
Just one question: what carrier are you with now?

I had Verizon, a plan they no longer have the 700 talk America plan. Tried to save a few bucks and went to Tracfone (what a fiasco that was) was able to get back on my plan with Verizon or so the said. Before I switched and then switched back I was only paying $56.35 a month for two telephones, with free internet access! I should have stayed with them, so you live and learn. Might look into
straight Talk Consumer Cellular is another joke...even with AARP miscount and or OOIDA discount. I really need to have good coverage being as we go out in the boondocks and need the cellphone for using a Square Credit
Card reader. It's almost cheaper to call the credit card company for pre authorization, than use one of the Square CC readers.:eek: :coffee

By the way who has this plan "Did I mention they have a $30/mo plan: 1000 min, 1000 text, free 411, & 30mb data?"

Also I am in about the same traveling areas as you are, but when we had AT&T aka Cingular we had very poor service area. and got stuck paying for using Mexico Cell Towers. We are about 3 miles from the border. I call my house once from the Wal-Mart and talked to my wife about 15mins and it cost me an arm and a leg and I think they would have taken my first born also. I had to fight wit them for about 5 months before they credited our bill. I have not had any problems with Verizon, I have been with them for about 12 years now.

Last edited:
hit up craigs list, get a used phone, android or apple, your call
this will keep you out of contract.
an android will most likely be cheaper then an apple, i got my thunderbolt for $60 off cl.
remeber the only 4g apple is the iphone 5

if you decide you like it and it works like you want, then you can go the full upgrade route.

for coverage i would stick with verizon

You didn't mention your current monthly cost.
We've had this discussion before, so I won't beat it to death, but...
Straight Talk is unlimited talk/text/411/& a lot of data (2gb?) for $45
They're a reseller, in some places of AT&T.

....[removed distracting talk of T-mobile plans]...

As for handsets, I'd suggest a used AT&T iPhone 4S, around $250-350.
I'm currently helping two friends find some right now.
(that's last years model, & many users are getting new iPhone 5)

Not as familiar with used Android prices, but there are always users looking for their next toy.
Perhaps an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3?
Yes, a very desirable phone, but the spoiled don't even have a 6 month attention span! ;)

Why this works best on Straight Talk over AT&T ...
phones locked to AT&T work just fine, as is! ;)

Anole
Well I finally pulled the pin and went with Straight Talk on the Net10 my two phones are on the Verizon Network. I got the Samsung Proclaim Phones. Straight Talk unlimited talk/text/411/& a lot of data (2gb?) for $45 Also I signed up for the Auto-Pay so I get $5.00 off the price for the 2nd phone. So it's costing me about $87.00 for the plan above. The same plan with Verizon would have been $158.00 a month for 2 phones and be stuck in a contract.
Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya.

I've been on StraightTalk/AT&T for about 18 months or so, with a used iPhone 4, after repairing it.
A buddy in St Louis got a used iPhone 4 for about $200, and he's been on ST for six months.
The friend in Louisana who got me onto ST has two Samsung Galaxy Note Android handsets.
He bought those new and has been on ST/AT&T @ $45/mo now about 18 months.

We're all very satisfied.
Hope your experience is as rewarding. :up ;)

Not to try to hijack this thread but is it possible to bring a Verizon iPhone 4S over to Straight Talk?

Probably. I'd ask StraightTalk to be sure.
There are always gotchas.
Ask how to set up MMS (picture messaging).
If they can tell you, then go for it.

I was more interested in staying on the proven AT&T network and using sim cards.
(and I had info on making MMS work)
Of course, Verizon network is fine, too.

edit: but if you mean a Verizon 4S onto ST/AT&T, then I don't think so.
ST has contracts with most carriers, so they can keep your handset on the original carrier.
That's handy when the phone is locked to a carrier.

Last edited:
Google searches seem to indicate that it will work. Smartest thing to do is call Straight Talk and tell them what you want to do, i.e. bring a VZW iPhone to their network, and see what you need to do on your end to make it work.

I sure wish MetroPCS had service in my area but it looks like their coverage stops about 10-15 miles from the city we live in. I believe they use Sprint's network which makes sense as we had Sprint when we moved out here and we had to switch as Sprint was unreliable here.

Straight Talk uses AT&T and Verizon's towers right? Do they have a family plan?