This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Thinking About Upgrading Subwoofer

Well, the STF-2 is out for delivery today. Crossing my fingers the Fed-Ex guy doesn't come until I'm home from work though. (Sig required).....

Be glad it ain't UPS. They delivered my Velodyne (about 18 yrs. ago) all busted up. And it was packed beautifully, yet they still managed to break it.

Be glad it ain't UPS. They delivered my Velodyne (about 18 yrs. ago) all busted up. And it was packed beautifully, yet they still managed to break it.

Well, the damn thing is still with Fed-Ex. They tried to deliver yesterday, but I was still at work. I requested to pick it up at their distribution center, but it's about 45 miles away from my home and we just got hit with 8" of snow and more coming down by the minute.

I'm still debating on taking the voyage after work or just waiting until tomorrow. Decisions, decisions.....

8" of snow? Let them deliver it. You ain't going to get no rebate for going yourself. Relax it will be there today, and then the fun begins.

8" of snow? Let them deliver it. You ain't going to get no rebate for going yourself. Relax it will be there today, and then the fun begins.

They held it at the distribution center. We ended up getting 10.5" in total today. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Gawd, I don't know if I can sleep tonight! This is like Christmas Eve!!!!

BTW, I ended up getting War of the Worlds from Blockbuster Online. I plan on testing this sucker out with all the force of the alien tripod robots!

I built my own sub using two 10" Sony Xpload car woofers wired in series to present an 8 ohm load on a 2000watt monaural Carver amp Crossover at 50 Hz. I did the crossover so low because my FL and FR are bi amped containing a 15" woofer from JBL with a 20 lb magnet and I drive these with a Carver 500watt stereo amp. This uses a 200 Hz crossover and the Mid freq's are JBL Horn Lens assembly + SHF Ring Radiator for 10Khz and up.

Update HSU STF-2:

Ok, just made it back from Fed-Ex's distribution center.

The box looks decent given the amount of wet and miserable weather it has been subjected to the last few days while in transit. It is sitting in the back of my SUV as we speak. I can't wait to get home and unpackage this wonderful thing! I'll report back tonight/tomorrow morning after I get it setup and calibrated through Audyssey.

Introducing the HSU STF-2

Out with the old, in with the new.

The STF-2 will be replacing the Polk PSW-10.

I can't believe both of these have matching 10" drivers. The HSU is so much more efficient.

Polk PSW-10... meh....

STF-2.... Yowzers!!!

HSU STF-2 Review

Ok, I finally got the STF-2 home, unpackaged and setup.....

Initial impressions: Well packaged. Instructions were excellent and easy to follow. The sub is pretty massive compared to my old Polk. It also seemed rock solid. I got the impression right away that this was a well made product and nothing was sacrificed in the build. I could tell this was going to be something special.

Setup: Setup was a breeze. Plugged in my existing coaxial audio cable, the detachable power cord and turned it on. I set the crossover switch to "out" so my receiver can handle the crossover tuning. Regardless, I set the crossover frequency on the subwoofer itself to 90 Hz, just in case. My receiver is the Denon 1909 and is equipped with Audyssey. I let the auto calibration run it's course and 15 minutes later, I was in business.

Testing: After the calibration was complete, I proceeded to put my new toy to the test. I gathered all of the movies in my possession with good bass including War of the Worlds, Transformers and Hot Fuzz. I then tried out CD's that tend to emphasize bass from various Metal/Hard Rock selections that had plenty of double bass drums and bass guitar. I also tested some good ol' heart pounding beats from some old Hip Hop/Rap CD's.

Results: I bought this as a blind buy and never demoed before. Essentially I trusted the stellar online reviews. Needless to say, I was expecting big things from this sub and following the rigorous test I put it through, I was more than impressed with it! If anything, my expectations were exceeded. It's amazing how efficient this sub is. At no point during all of the lows I put it through did I ever hear this sub struggle one bit. It handled everything like a champ. My room is apx. 1500 cubic feet and it is honestly more than enough. I'm not sure how any sub in this price range can compete in performance. From everything I've heard, I am completely satisfied and couldn't imagine needing anything more.

Final remarks: I built my HT in the summer of 2007 with a budget of $5k. Build thread HERE. Since then, I've upgraded two key components. A new lossless capable AVR (Denon 1909) and the new subwoofer. With these two additions, I think it's safe to say the HT is sounding the best it ever has. The wife and I watch a ton of flicks down there and this will only make the experience more enjoyable. As a matter of fact, with the whole setup and quality I was able to reproduce, I don't see any point in going to a public cinema again.

Here's to a happy 2009 of film watching...

HD, one of the reasons for the price is that the cone for the woofer is treated paper. this is cost effective. the other type of cones make it a little more expensive. i have personally had better lower frequency response with treated paper cones than with DPC (damped polymer composite) cones. :up the regular paper cones work well too as long as it's surrounded with Butyl. a foam surround is ok as long as the paper cone is treated.your cone looks like chemically treated paper with a rubber surround.

So I was downstairs watching scenes from 300 last night and the wife came down saying it sounded like there was an earthquake throughout the house! Damn this sub goes LOW!!!!!

I will have to remember to sound proof the HT in the next home I build.

MY kids often think there is distant thunder from my one, when i am just watching something with a good rumble in it. Also had to tear apart the projector TV to find the metal plate inside that seemed to resonate quite freely whenever i watched a movie LOL