CSW Powered SW1 Subwoofer issues

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
My trusty Cambridge Soundworks SW1 powered sub may finally be on it's way out. Been great since I purchased in the late 90s. When watching a movie during some loud bass scenes, I can hear a "clunk" sound coming from the 12" woofer. Doesn't happen all the time. Just during extra loud scenes. Nothing's loose inside. I suspect the woofer is on it's way out. Even worth trying to repair? I've had it so long, I don't even know where to start looking for a comparible one to replace it.

Sounds like the voice coil in the woofer is going. You might be able to get a replacement from CSW.

That mean I have to replace the entire woofer? CSW doesn't make speakers anymore. I may have to look on parts-express, If I decide to try and fix. Started looking into a replacement. Don't want to spend more than $500. SVS looks like it may do the job.

If the voice coil is shot, then yes you have to replace the entire speaker. You could get it repaired I suppose, but it's likely cost prohibitive. Gently push in on the speaker in the middle a 1/2" or so. If it makes rubbing or gritty noises, it's toast.

I am leary of replacement drivers for fixing good quality speakers. I located what I thought would be equivalent 5" woofers for my Pinnacle ported bookshelf speakers and the resultant speakers are thin and weak. $50 wasted. Unless you can get OEM drivers, I'd avoid any of the "speakers@a-discount" sites. So many variables that you won't be able to get from the manufacturer, and even if you could, the odds of finding a speaker on the Internet that would be a match are slim.

As much as I hate to say it, if you have a speaker or powered subwoofer that is more than six years out of production, start shopping for a replacement. I hate saying that as I love to fix existing equipment, but as my hunt for the Toshiba power transistors for my Sunfire sub showed, you can throw money into a pit and get nada out of the endeavor.

I tend to agree. There are some well known upgrades out there for some speaker systems, and I would be willing to take a chance on those. But in general a generic driver replacement is to be avoided.

We have a couple of guys in our area who run what is best described as electronic junkyards. They constantly have ads on craigslist. You might want to check out your area and see if you could pick up a new driver that way.

If you do decide to go for a new sub, try to pick one that has a long reputation for service, such as Velodyne or Hsu. I have had very good luck on mail in service on the amplifier board on my Velodyne. It is 15 years old, but they still service everything they have ever sold.

Thanks everyone. I gently pushed in on the center of the speaker. It sounds okay, but by the sound of it sometimes when watching a movie, it's certainly on it's way out. It served me well. Hsu and SVS were the 2 I was looking at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts