Thinking about upgrading to a VIP922

jahost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 2, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I currently have a VIP622 and aVIP722 running 4 tv's. what is the approximate cost of upgrading the 622 to a 922 and is it worth it? I guess I would also have to add another HD receiver for the 4th tv. I can't find anything about pricing on Dishnetwork.com. I hate to call as I am easily persuaded and my wife might kill me. "John"

Not at this time. It is still very buggy , the internet connection for remote access ,sometimes works , sometimes not. I have lost ALL of my timers three times in over a month of owning this receiver. I have had to recreate them from the remote control. NO archiving to external hard drive yet. No manual timers or dishpass timers. In short it is not as good as 622/722/722k as far as full established features. Now the channel logos are nice , but I would not recommend that alone for a reason to upgrade to. Also haven't received any new software updates since I got it on May 6th. They seem to be moving at a glacial pace on upgrades , because of fear that it will crash the unit's stability.

My 922 works just fine and so do all my timers. If you are going to upgrade now I would get the 922. If you don't think you can trust the 922 yet I would wait a little bit. If you upgrade to a 722 now(which is a great receiver) you will not be able to upgrade again for another 12 months and you will have to pay another upgrade fee.

I think the 922 is worth it just for the large hard drive and the features it will have. I have about 15 HD movies, every World Cup soccer game in HD, the whole season of Deadliest Catch in HD, the season of The Office in HD, and various other HD programs saved on my DVR and I still have 20% space left.

There are a couple threads in the 922 forum about this issue. I would not upgrade unless you have a backup receiver (which it appears you do in this case). Also note that the 922 cannot run 2 TVs, you can feed two TVs from the 922 (one component one HDMI) but of course they show the same thing all the time.

I have not lost my timers yet. The unit works most the time. I would estimate it for some reason or other will not record a show 3-5% of the time. It is not a bug that shows up often, but when TV season was in full swing it would seem to lose about one of my shows a week. I do not know what causes the bug since it is rare, I have not figured out the pattern, just I would notice my 622 would have the show where the 922 would not (I just delete the shows on the 622 after watching on 922).

One day they may get around to releasing the second TV solution for the 922 where you have a sling receiver that works for the second TV in HD. I do not know what the hold up on the box is.

I forgot to mention that. If you need a 2 room hook-up the 922 may not be the best receiver for you.

I was thinking about upgrading my 622, as well. However, I even split TV2 into my exercise and guest room.

I guess I should just go for the 722k?

Thanks to all for the info.

If you are not in a hurry to upgrade you might see what happens with the 922. Eventually it is supposed to be able to do sling HD to a TV2. But, then it may never work right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)