Thinking cutting the cord

rstark18

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I’ve been a dish customer since the late 80’s and have been very satisfied. I just ended a two year customer loyalty contract (and auto pay and a hopper discount) that had me at $87 total for top 200 and a H3.

I haven’t called yet but I doubt they will match that again. Last few times I got this price I did it through the DIRT team but I don’t see them active on here anymore.

If they don’t offer that again I was thinking of switching over to YouTube TV.
The few channels I do watch (that only come in the AT200 package) are offered on YouTube. Their DVR is unlimited so that’s not an issue. I already have an Apple TV so hardware isn’t an issue.

Anyone see a reason not to switch?

I've been considering it for years. The problem has always been that no one streaming service has all the channels I want and usable DVR functionality at a price that is significantly cheaper than Dish. And I still have to pay for a bunch of crap channels I don't care about. Philo and SlingTV don't have any of my locals or even a national feed of ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox, and are missing several other channels I want, so they're out. Hulu is missing the AMC channels. YouTube TV is missing A&E, History and Science. Fubo is missing TBS and TNT. AT&T TV is the only one I've found that has all my channels, but I have to go up to the Ultimate package ($95/month) and then add another $10/month to get more than 20 hours of DVR storage, but you still can't save more than 30 episodes of a TV series and you can't save anything for more than 90 days, which still sounds pretty useless. But I would get back my RSN and Altitude, which Dish hasn't had for over a year now, and would at least have the option of adding HBO and Cinemax if I want...

Reactions: TomT127
I've had Dish for about 4 years and decided to switch to YouTube TV. Right after I made the switch, YTTV doubled its price so the savings dropped to only about $20 a month. YTTV was okay but keeping track of DVR recordings was difficult. My wife in particular had trouble getting used to the user interface. About a month after we dropped Dish, she got a Dish offer as a new customer for the 2 year contract price plus a $300 gift card so we switched back.

My advice would be to give YouTube TV a try. Your first week or two are free and there is no contract. If you don't like it, maybe Dish will make you an offer to come back. At the very least, give Dish a call and tell them you are switching if they can't give you a better deal.

Go through Chat first to try and quickly ascertain your available discount options. Of the benefits cost wise for Dish, I have found the discounts on premiums (the one's left) are a decent carrot.

Reactions: dishdude
I didn't think that Dish started operations until the mid-90's.

Hmmm maybe it was mid 90’s I know I got it when it was first available for sale.

I’ve been trying out YoutubeTV for the last few days. It’s not bad but it’s not great. The interface as has been mentioned isn’t the best. I guess I can live with it. I’ll try it for another week before making a final decision.
If I like it enough to live with it then I’ll give Dish the chance to match my old deal or cancel.

I always find these "cut the cord" statement ironic. In reality, you are moving from one chord to another. Truth be told when people moved from Cable to Sat there was more truth to cutting the cord than moving to streaming from Sat.

I always find these "cut the cord" statement ironic. In reality, you are moving from one chord to another. Truth be told when people moved from Cable to Sat there was more truth to cutting the cord than moving to streaming from Sat.

You really shouldn’t take statements like this literally. It’s an easy way to describe going to internet based tv that everyone understands.

Reactions: ncted
You really shouldn’t take statements like this literally. It’s an easy way to describe going to internet based tv that everyone understands.
The debate over the term "cut the cord" is an old one on this site, going all the way back to when that term was first coined. Another similar term is "over the top" (OTT). That one never made any sense to me. Over the top of what? Also, the acronym OTT looks too similar to OTA if you just glance at it. Being slightly dyslexic doesn't help, so maybe this is something that wouldn't confuse most people.

Cutting the cord started out meaning "cutting" the cable cord and getting TV over the air (OTA). In my mind it also was a metaphor for cutting the umbilical cord, but that is just me. It has since morphed into meaning getting rid of traditional cable/satellite linear TV subscriptions in favor of other things, including OTA, OnDemand streaming, Live Streaming, etc. Of course, the cable and satellite companies have changed their offerings to be similar to Live Streaming services in many ways, so I am not sure how applicable the term "cutting the cord" really is any more.

Isn't it ironic?
Don't you think?
A little too ironic
And yet I really do think
It's like rain
On your wedding day
It's a free ride
When you've already paid
It's the good advice
That you just didn't take
And who would've thought
It'd figure?

This caused me to do a little checking up on A.M. Did you ever hear this version?

first off, i wish DIRT would contact me regarding some savings….17+year customer needing a package increase and som sort of savings…

ok…. i have tried every streaming service and i tried, i really wanted to leave dish. but there is absolutely no comparison in features compared to the others….
the hopper 3 and joey 4k is that good, so good it is literally keeping me with dish. beautiful picture quality and ease of dvr and guide. you will be sorry if you leave

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: dgcarver
Let me start with this: Satellite tv is quickly dying out- except in rural areas . DISH is down to just 8.5 million satellite customers and that is dropping each quarter.

I have been using the Sling tv app and the Airtv Anywhere model that allows 4 tuners and 4 recordings at a time on the built in hard drive. So the only problem was my old Terk 44 clip on antenna was hooked through my dish for the Wally. After replacing this clip on antenna back in the late 2000s after the hurricanes we had then, they have discontinued the antenna. It was slowly crapping out causing pixelation on the Uhf stations. So I looked on the Airtv website and it shows that if you want them to install a stand alone antenna they will and they use the Televes Digi Nova Boss antenna . So I bought the antenna off of Amazon and It works for 65miles out but it is directional not omni directional like the Terk 44 was. Luckily all my broadcast towers are in the same direction for the networks.

I took off the old DISH satellite dish for the Wally and used the same cable to run the new antenna. It was easy to install on the same pole I had the satellite dish on and it took maybe 5 minutes to get the best signal. I used the Digital antenna app on my phone that has a compass and locks and vibrates when you find your affiliate and it was easy. Hooked up the inside switch that powers the antenna and I'm getting all my locals at 100%.-using the DISH hopper ota usb device. No more pixelation!

So I am thinking of cutting off DISH sometime between now and the end of the year. Or I might just go ahead and pay the $60.00 break up fee and be done with it. Coming up on 25 years with DISH come 1/18/22. Sling tv is cheaper than satellite and no equipment fees. I pay 60.00 for all programming: $35.00 blue pack + $21.00 best of tv pack= $56.00. I am getting the same channels I had with Flex and then some. Never could get BBC America with the flex pack or MTV . I have over 200 hours of hard drive in the cloud for the Sling channels and a built in hard drive allows like 160 hours of recordings. But I will keep my Hopper 3 setup and it's separate satellite dish and it's connections to the other rooms in case we ever want to go back or we lose our 200mpbs internet from Spectrum Cable. With hurricanes coming so frequently now , you never know when you might need to use satellite again till the internet is back .