Thinking of bundling Dish internet (DSL) and TV

Joe Satellite Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Palisade, Colorado
I've had Dish for TV service for many years (1997 or so). Considering the new DSL service, but there are too many unknowns for me to just jump right in:

1. If my modem can't be used, they lease me one ... can't find anywhere what that cost will be.

2. Has anybody gotten hooked up and was able to use their modem. If so, who was your internet carrier before? I currently have Century Link.

3. I saw that the Dish modem is wireless only, so my desktop would have to have a wireless adapter, anybody know if that is actually the case?

Thanks in advance!

Their dishnet wireline is centurylink. FYI. It's what used to be qwest. Dish made a partnership with qwest, and then qwest was bought by centurylink.

I was thinking about switching but I could not find what it would run after the promo.

Tour century link modem will work with dish.

Honestly, not sure about all that. Just know that the wireline is what was qwest previously, and is now CL. I hve no idea what their policy's and procedures are.

Dishnet resells Exede or Hughsnet depending on your location. They have their own modems you will need to use. You should be able to use ethernet from modem to desktop, of course depending on where connection comes in your house. Beware of the caps involved with Satellite internet! Changes, it is said, are coming, but low caps and high ping rates are part of the deal.

http://wildblueworld.com/forum/
is one place to investigate, at least the Exeed/Wildblue side of things.http://wildblueworld.com/forum/

Dishnet resells Exede or Hughsnet depending on your location. They have their own modems you will need to use. You should be able to use ethernet from modem to desktop, of course depending on where connection comes in your house. Beware of the caps involved with Satellite internet! Changes, it is said, are coming, but low caps and high ping rates are part of the deal.

is one place to investigate, at least the Exeed/Wildblue side of things.
That's DishNet. He is asking about DishNet Wireline. Two seperate things. I will say this, unless changed, even the broadband teams does not handle wireline accounts. It is all transferred over to CL agents trained in these specific bundled accounts.

Yup. Two completely services with very similar names. You would be surprised how often the frontline phone reps confuse those two. Ask any broadband agent, and they will tell you they don't know anything about that service.

is one place to investigate, at least the Exeed/Wildblue side of things.
Hughsnet is owned by Dish now.

I looked into the service last year. I had CenturyLink at the time, and was informed that my modem would be compatible with Dish's service. I had 12mb service with CenturyLink and wanted the same with Dish.

I almost went with Dish for internet, but what stopped me was I couldn't get a definitive answer to one question: Would my account number remain the same once I bundled the service, or would it change and thereby cause me to lose access to programming stored on my external drives? NO ONE could answer that question.

The account number would change, but in the case of bundles, your EHDs should move with it. That is the one exception to the rule. The catch, there was a known issue that prevented that awhile back, and was an extremely short lived known issue.

The account number would change, but in the case of bundles, your EHDs should move with it. That is the one exception to the rule. The catch, there was a known issue that prevented that awhile back, and was an extremely short lived known issue.

Good to know. On two separate calls I got two conflicting answers. The one that said my EHDs would still work was of the tone "we've never been told they would be lost, so you should be fine." I wasn't going to put my recordings in jeopardy on such flimsy assurances. Therefore Dish is not my internet supplier.

It's minor savings at best. I would just keep the CL. It's the same service with more barriers and gotcha's. TBH

Being a tech I can say Dishnet has it's place an it's only in areas where that is the only high speed internet available. Satellite internet is only suitable for rural areas. If you live in an area with DSL or Cable internet you are just throwing your money away going too Sat for internet.

Beware, they will not give you credit for referrals if you go through Frontier. We tried contacting Frontier and Dish several times to get the problem resolved after referring two customers and even have a third and maybe fourth referral but have held off due to not getting our credits. We were hoping to get the free PS4 by the end of the year and getting this resolved. Maybe DIRT can help?

Beware, they will not give you credit for referrals if you go through Frontier. We tried contacting Frontier and Dish several times to get the problem resolved after referring two customers and even have a third and maybe fourth referral but have held off due to not getting our credits. We were hoping to get the free PS4 by the end of the year and getting this resolved. Maybe DIRT can help?
A work around... Have them sign up for dish directly through dish, once installed, call about bundling with Windstream. You will get both your referal, and they will get a bundled account. Used to have customers call in all the time doing that.

Thats what I thought about doing although they will lose the $10 off for 6 months going that route but they are losing the $50 since they did not get the credit either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts