Thinking of going from a 622 to a Hopper - Worth doing?

fredp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Williston, Vermont
So my third 622 is showing signs of failing. Not enough though to make this a critical decision at this time but with prices increases coming..... I only run my 622 in single mode. Any upgrade done via DISH for other than a Hopper is only going to get me a reconditioned unit(ie; 722k) and yet another two year contract after years of being without one. Would a single Hopper/Sling receiver give me everything I have now plus of course the Sling feature or am I missing something? I guess my fees would go up $4?? To avoid the contract I most likely would buy from Dish Depot as I have read here. Thanks.

I don't see the need to go to a Hopper in your case if you don't have need of independent HD on a second tv, need of a third sat tuner or a larger hard drive for recordings. You could save the $ per month, go with a 722 and add sling adaptor to it.

Go for the Hopper. If you travel, you'll be able to access your Hopper for remote viewing. The Hopper's remote will store your settings so if it fails you can just restore them to the new receiver. It has a larger hd. If you watch a lot of prime time tv it has PTAT. Why do you want to avoid a contract unless you are planning on leaving Dish in less than 2 years or are actually living in Canada. There is no saving on monthly fees. Same costs either owned or leased.

Garys, for me the one point that you mentioned(3 sat tuners) is probably my primary motivation. I can usually juggle cable shows to get conflicts when they are on at the same time as network shows, but hardly ever network shows. I know I could just watch online but my preference is my TV. As for a 722 with Sling, again its most likely a refurb. Maybe I'll just wait til the 622 dies... ;)

thanks dwarren2. I read that PTAT uses just one tuner. Does that mean the other two could be used for cable shows at least during the PTAT hours of 8 til 11 or do I need some combo of Hopper and Joey which I don't want.

For the extra $3 a month for the Hopper with Sling I would for sure upgrade to it. You have an altogether better system with an extra tuner (two extra with OTA) and larger hard drive. Look at all the extra benefits you get for just a few dollars. Most places you can't even buy a beer for that price.

thanks dwarren2. I read that PTAT uses just one tuner. Does that mean the other two could be used for cable shows at least during the PTAT hours of 8 til 11

Yes, and even better now, any or all Big 4 network recordings will use only one tuner ANYTIME!

Then there is the conflict resolution screens on the Hopper. It isn't always easy to get everything but it can help and it tells you how may conflicts today and tomorrow. That's not available on the 722 series.

-Ken

Garys, for me the one point that you mentioned(3 sat tuners) is probably my primary motivation. I can usually juggle cable shows to get conflicts when they are on at the same time as network shows, but hardly ever network shows. I know I could just watch online but my preference is my TV. As for a 722 with Sling, again its most likely a refurb. Maybe I'll just wait til the 622 dies... ;)

If the three tuners is you primary motivation and you are willing to pay the extra money each month, then I would go for it.

If you're going to upgrade to Hopper, better do it now before the fees go up! Currently Hopper is a lot cheaper in fees than it will be. If you get Hopper now, you will be grandfathered into the current rates.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

If you're going to upgrade to Hopper, better do it now before the fees go up! Currently Hopper is a lot cheaper in fees than it will be. If you get Hopper now, you will be grandfathered into the current rates.

Yep know that. Another $4 for current owners with just one Hopper if I remember right. I also wonder what the upgrade fee is. I know its dropped but I guess the only way to see everything in black&white is to contact a DIRT member.

Yep know that. Another $4 for current owners with just one Hopper if I remember right. I also wonder what the upgrade fee is. I know its dropped but I guess the only way to see everything in black&white is to contact a DIRT member.

Yep. If you upgrade now it's $10 a month for the first Hopper and $7 for each additional Hopper/Joey. After 5/22, it will be $12 for each Hopper and $7 for each Joey.

Yep. The new rates will not apply to current customers that already have Hoppers. They will only apply to new customers after 5/22 or current customers that add a Hopper after 5/22.

Thanks everyone. I have just one more silly question and its about my programming if I update to a hopper. I have AEP. I get the $10 discount for 18 months that current customers got when the prices changed in Feb. If I get the Hopper via DISH which means a 2 yr agreement, the change will not affect my programming discount. Correct?

So I PM'd DIRT! For my situation, a single Hopper upgrade, the monthly bill before taxes goes up $3..... Not to shabby! There is a one time upgrade of $100. Since I have the PP anyway my service call is free. I would expect the technician to take my 622 back with him. As to the $100 charge, would I pay this regardless if I bought my Hopper or lease it? Still hedging because of that damn 2 yr commitment if I lease.

So I PM'd DIRT! For my situation, a single Hopper upgrade, the monthly bill before taxes goes up $3..... Not to shabby! There is a one time upgrade of $100. Since I have the PP anyway my service call is free. I would expect the technician to take my 622 back with him. As to the $100 charge, would I pay this regardless if I bought my Hopper or lease it? Still hedging because of that damn 2 yr commitment if I lease.
They must be quoting you for Hopper w/Sling. The older Hopper 2000 is usually $50.00, just FYI.

one hopper has three tuners at any time. in other words if you have PTAT enabled, it will only use one tuner on your hopper. that leaves you with two tuners left to use as you please either to record two more shows that are not or PTAT or do PIP or just watch one live show and record another on top of the PTAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)