Cinemax$13.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$103.99

To this

Dish America Gold$54.99
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$70.99

I need to cut back on everything now because of my unemployment status and some unforeseen expense with my Vehicle.
I think determined that the only channel I would miss of the very few I watch is TV-LAND which apparently is not in HD. Cinemax is just a luxury at this point in time I just can't do. I might decide on NetFlix for replacement early next year.

I thought about going the AT200 but then I have to get the HD add-on too and comes out to this

America's Top 200$54.99
HD 200$10.00
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$80.99

$10 more than above. Unless someone has a better idea.

Basically I wanted to know if there is any gotcha to doing this package change to Dish America Gold. I did get the free upgrade for the satellite dish so I am on 61.5,72,77 so I hope that sets me up for any new HD channels I could get.

Sure I could if I put out 100. I kind of wished that included platinum too. I don't know if just saving 10 is good enough right now where I could save 33 doing it my way even though I would have less channels over all.

Sure I could if I put out 100. I kind of wished that included platinum too. I don't know if just saving 10 is good enough right now where I could save 33 doing it my way even though I would have less channels over all.

You should of got HD absolute when you had the chance.:D
Seriously, if your not in a contract. I would churn over to Directv and get promotional discount for a yr. Then after the second yr..Churn on back to E* for another discount.

You should of got HD absolute when you had the chance.:D
Seriously, if your not in a contract. I would churn over to Directv and get promotional discount for a yr. Then after the second yr..Churn on back to E* for another discount.

I don't see HD absolute in the my log in of Dish's web site. Am I missing something?

It's long gone now. The america packages replaced it. But, at a much higher cost.

How does anyone know how and what Dish network plans to do with the HD channels and HD for life?
I mean at some point broadcasters will just have HD only right and Dish will still end up with packages we will have to pay for and everyone's so called $99 pay off fee. I just think the $99 thing is just a way to get more money in the short term for something that will eventually be phased out. I don't know.

How does anyone know how and what Dish network plans to do with the HD channels and HD for life?
I mean at some point broadcasters will just have HD only right and Dish will still end up with packages we will have to pay for and everyone's so called $99 pay off fee. I just think the $99 thing is just a way to get more money in the short term for something that will eventually be phased out. I don't know.

I never thought of it that way. But, your probally right. By the way. If your not in a contract. You should call E* and tell them your going to D*. They may start pulling discounts out of thin air.:D

Any ramifications from going from this

America's Top 250$64.99
HD 250$10.00
DVR Service$6.00
Cinemax$13.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$103.99

To this

Dish America Gold$54.99
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$70.99

I need to cut back on everything now because of my unemployment status and some unforeseen expense with my Vehicle.
I think determined that the only channel I would miss of the very few I watch is TV-LAND which apparently is not in HD. Cinemax is just a luxury at this point in time I just can't do. I might decide on NetFlix for replacement early next year.

I thought about going the AT200 but then I have to get the HD add-on too and comes out to this

America's Top 200$54.99
HD 200$10.00
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$80.99

Basically I wanted to know if there is any gotcha to doing this package change to Dish America Gold. I did get the free upgrade for the satellite dish so I am on 61.5,72,77 so I hope that sets me up for any new HD channels I could get.
Do not forget about those DishLATINO packages.
Well about the only thing that I got is that you like TV Land.
Why not get DishLATINO Max? It is $52.99. The package qualifies for HD for Life, and you can still add HD Platinum. The lower DishLATINO Dos package is $39.99, and it still has some nice channels in my opinion; of course, you probably won't get everything you want for $39.99. These two packages also have Sirius XM Channels, so you may also want to look at the Sirius XM Guide. Anyway, I am sorry to hear about unemployment and expenses in this economy.
Let's compare costs:

Dish America Gold$54.99
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$70.99

Dish Latino Max $52.99
HD Max Free $ 0.00 (if you have HD for Life)
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$68.99 ($78.99 w/o HD for Life)

Dish Latino Dos $39.99
HD Dos Free $0.00 (if you have HD for Life)
DVR Service $6.00
HD Platinum $10.00
Monthly Charges $55.99 ($65.99 w/o HD for Life)

I really am not sure what channels are a must for you besides TV Land, but I am guessing it is not just TV Land you want. In addition, TV Land is even in some of the lower packages. If you are not under contract, maybe you can explain to Dish your situation, and they may even have an "unlisted" package. It does not hurt to ask, and you do not have to agree to anything.

From what I do know there is: [For English channel guide, click here]
Dish America $29.99
Dish Latino Dos $39.99
America's Top 120 $39.99
Dish America Silver $44.99
America's Top 120 Plus $44.99 (adds your Regional Sports Networks [RSNs] to America's Top 120 channels)
Dish Latino Max $52.99
Dish America Gold $54.99
America's Top 200 $54.99
America's Top 250 $64.99
America's "Everything" Pak $99.99
[You probably will not want DishMÉXICO for $19.99 or DishLATINO Clásico for 29.99.]
Since I am not sure exactly what channels you want, I will attach a document that Scott posted View attachment Focus On DISH Network HD.pdf a while back before the Disney dispute, Fuse dispute, etc. So, please ignore ABC Family HD, Disney XD HD, Disney (E) HD, ESPNews HD, and Fuse. In addition, members have said that msnbc is not in the HD Only packages. Also, remember that not all HD channels from the America's Top packages are not include in the HD only packages. Please do not get fooled by the Dish America site; I have no idea why they are advertising channels on their site that are not in the HD only packages. This document lets you compare the English and Spanish packages (which also include English channels).

Do not forget about a la carte. However, some may seem costly if you add a lot of channels. Encore Movies (which is not announced on the site) for $5.00 may be something you might want if you like movies, but you will not get Encore (E) HD or Encore WAM from what I understand, but you get the rest like Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore Drama, Encore Westerns, Encore Action, and Encore (W).

Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

America's Top 200$54.99
HD 200$10.00
DVR Service$6.00
HD Platinum$10.00
Monthly Charges$80.99

You can probably get HD Free if you threaten cancellation. Worked for me.

Last edited:
We have the Top 250 package with DVR, protection plan, and HD 4 Life, and our monthly bill is right at $93 total (after taxes and such). Originally we had Dish America Gold which was closer to $80/month with a fraction of the content, which wasn't worth it.

We had Dish before moving earlier this year, but after moving we tried Time Warner for a short while paying $145/month for Cable TV and Internet... but after having Dish for years before moving the TW box seemed outdated, the DVR was very limited, and the channel selection was mediocre compared Dish. Now Dish is $93 and our Road Runner service by itself is $45/month so we're coming out a few bucks ahead with MUCH better service.

A lot of good info in these posts thank you all.
Looking at Scott's document lay's it out nicely. It almost seems illogical that the Dish America packages are not more in line with the HD add-on's. It's almost like they are discouraging the new HD format by doing that so they can make more money on the "bundled". Reminds me of the 1970's when US auto manufacturers stuck to making large cars and the imports where making smaller cars. Same thing with the new HD technology very slow to embrace it and milk what they got going. I don't know I just thinking out loud.

Anyway not in any particular order the channels I frequent a lot either by DVR record only or watch live are
WGN America
Turner Classic Movies
USA
History channels
AMC
SyFy
TV Land

I stop by other channels once in a while but not that often. News channels sometimes too.

I will see about calling dish to try and see what to do. Which is a better approach try to threaten to leave or tell them my situation with unemployment and financial issues?

A lot of good info in these posts thank you all.
Looking at Scott's document lay's it out nicely. It almost seems illogical that the Dish America packages are not more in line with the HD add-on's. It's almost like they are discouraging the new HD format by doing that so they can make more money on the "bundled". Reminds me of the 1970's when US auto manufacturers stuck to making large cars and the imports where making smaller cars. Same thing with the new HD technology very slow to embrace it and milk what they got going. I don't know I just thinking out loud.

Anyway not in any particular order the channels I frequent a lot either by DVR record only or watch live are
WGN America
Turner Classic Movies
USA
History channels
AMC
SyFy
TV Land

I stop by other channels once in a while but not that often. News channels sometimes too.

I will see about calling dish to try and see what to do. Which is a better approach try to threaten to leave or tell them my situation with unemployment and financial issues?

I actually use the online chat; I never had to call, yet.

Looking at your must-have channels:

WGN America
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Max

Turner Classic Movies
HD 200
HD 250

USA
HD 120
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Dos
HD Max

History channels

History International
HD 250 **I guess this one is out of the question if you are downgrading**

History
HD 120
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Max

AMC
HD 200
HD 250
HD Dos
HD Max

SyFy
HD 120
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Dos
HD Max

TV Land (SD)
Latino Max
AT 120
AT 120+
AT 200
AT 250

I should probably point out that the DishLATINO packages have HD channels in the 5000 range instead while the SD versions would be in their normal spots with some in the 800 range as well, though. I am not sure if that makes a difference to you.

AT 200 is $54.99/mo. and Dish Latino Max is $52.99/mo. (if you can do without TCM HD). So, only a $2 difference from what we are looking at....However, you may want to look at both channel lists. You may even consider getting rid of a must-have channel, but that is up to you....:)

In Dish Latino Dos and Max, there are some AT250 channels:
Boomerang {in Dos}
The Hub (formerly Discovery Kids) {in Dos}
Fox Soccer Channel {in Dos}
National Geographic Channel {in Dos}
DIY {in Max}
Fox Movie Channel {in Max}
The Movie Channel West {in Max}
The Movie Channel Xtra West {in Max}
CNBC World {in Max}
Dish Music 923-946 {in Max}
...and some Spanish channels...

However, you would not get these with the Dish Latino packages but would with AT 200:
BET
Big Ten Network* (if available in your area)
CBS College Sports Television
Current TV
G4
Golf Channel
GSN
Investigation Discovery (ID)
Lifetime Movie Network
msnbc
NBA TV
NFL Network
NHL Network
Nick Jr.
Ovation
Oxygen
RFD-TV
SOAPnet
TeenNick
truTV
Turner Classic Movies
ESPN U [in AT 120]
Fox News Channel [in AT 120]

It is interesting how some channels are in the lower America's Top package while they are in the higher Dish Latino package and vice versa.

Last edited:
but after having Dish for years before moving the TW box seemed outdated, the DVR was very limited, and the channel selection was mediocre compared Dish. Now Dish is $93 and our Road Runner service by itself is $45/month so we're coming out a few bucks ahead with MUCH better service.

Agreed....
Exactly what we have. Except our RR is a little more (turbo) and dish is a little more *right now* because of the RZ channel. I don't think it's a bad price for 4 tvs.

Mojo,
I finally decided to try out the Latino Max with HD Max and Plat. as well. I dropped Cinemax. The channel numbers are really different with most of the stations. Most of them end up in the 5000 range. I guess I will have to get use to it for the time being. At least I cut my bill by $25. I purchased a Roku box over the weekend they had a 20% off deal on the middle model. I going to give the free trial of Hulu plus a whirl and if I like it maybe even get Netflix. Then I will cut dish back even more next month.
I really didn't want to call dish to threaten that I would leave for a better deal with Directv. Only doing that I probably would end up with a 12 or 24 month contract which I am not interested in. For now I am happy with Dish it is what it is even though the packages don't make sense as you pointed out.

I actually use the online chat; I never had to call, yet.

Looking at your must-have channels:

WGN America
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Max

Turner Classic Movies
HD 200
HD 250

USA
HD 120
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Dos
HD Max

History channels

History International
HD 250 **I guess this one is out of the question if you are downgrading**

History
HD 120
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Max

AMC
HD 200
HD 250
HD Dos
HD Max

SyFy
HD 120
HD 200
HD 250
Dish America
Dish America Silver
Dish America Gold
HD Dos
HD Max

TV Land (SD)
Latino Max
AT 120
AT 120+
AT 200
AT 250

I should probably point out that the DishLATINO packages have HD channels in the 5000 range instead while the SD versions would be in their normal spots with some in the 800 range as well, though. I am not sure if that makes a difference to you.

AT 200 is $54.99/mo. and Dish Latino Max is $52.99/mo. (if you can do without TCM HD). So, only a $2 difference from what we are looking at....However, you may want to look at both channel lists. You may even consider getting rid of a must-have channel, but that is up to you....:)

In Dish Latino Dos and Max, there are some AT250 channels:
Boomerang {in Dos}
The Hub (formerly Discovery Kids) {in Dos}
Fox Soccer Channel {in Dos}
National Geographic Channel {in Dos}
DIY {in Max}
Fox Movie Channel {in Max}
The Movie Channel West {in Max}
The Movie Channel Xtra West {in Max}
CNBC World {in Max}
Dish Music 923-946 {in Max}
...and some Spanish channels...

However, you would not get these with the Dish Latino packages but would with AT 200:
BET
Big Ten Network* (if available in your area)
CBS College Sports Television
Current TV
G4
Golf Channel
GSN
Investigation Discovery (ID)
Lifetime Movie Network
msnbc
NBA TV
NFL Network
NHL Network
Nick Jr.
Ovation
Oxygen
RFD-TV
SOAPnet
TeenNick
truTV
Turner Classic Movies
ESPN U [in AT 120]
Fox News Channel [in AT 120]

It is interesting how some channels are in the lower America's Top package while they are in the higher Dish Latino package and vice versa.

Mojo,
I finally decided to try out the Latino Max with HD Max and Plat. as well. I dropped Cinemax. The channel numbers are really different with most of the stations. Most of them end up in the 5000 range. I guess I will have to get use to it for the time being. At least I cut my bill by $25. I purchased a Roku box over the weekend they had a 20% off deal on the middle model. I going to give the free trial of Hulu plus a whirl and if I like it maybe even get Netflix. Then I will cut dish back even more next month.
I really didn't want to call dish to threaten that I would leave for a better deal with Directv. Only doing that I probably would end up with a 12 or 24 month contract which I am not interested in. For now I am happy with Dish it is what it is even though the packages don't make sense as you pointed out.

I am glad that you were able to make a decision. Yes, the channel numbering is odd, and I think that is what some people do not like about the Latino packages when switching from the American packages. I made a favorites list when we had DirecTV and now for Dish Network. I decided to take out all the PPVs and infomercial type channels. It makes it easy to use the guide without having to memorize all the channel numbers. My sister uses Netflix and likes it.

For your information, due to economic reasons, I had go to Dish Pause for a couple of months. When I spoke to *E I was able to get the Welcome Pack with locals for $14.99 a month.

The welcome pack is a good mix of channels from all the programming packs. My aunt has it and she still gets her locals in hd with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)