Thinking of going to fios.

Harrelson 69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2005
I currently have Cablevision. Thinking of switching. Can anyone in this forum tell me why I should ?

Picture Quality is one good reason. It's better than what I had on Charter, Comcast, and Dish.

Price could be another issue depending on how much you're paying and what you're getting now.

Although I am disappointed because it seems the pricing is becoming less and less competitive. In other words I see the current pricing as ending up very similar to what the competition is offering instead of saving me money once my one year bundle it up. And where Verizon falls short is the capability and pricing on their HD boxes and DVRs. Wish they would rethink this because its expensive to be an all HD household due to this.

If nothing else, FiOS is increasing competition and helping to raise the bar for quality, value and service. Currently, FiOS leads all pay telelvions providers in these areas. However, the competition is stepping-up to meet the challenge (most on pricing these days), with the hope of better and more affordable services to be provided in the future.

If you're happy with your current provider then by all means stay-the-course. However, if you look back and realize that your cable company has been providing minimal services, poor quality services, and at outragioius prices the past 20+ years (not to mention horrible customer services) the let Cablevision know it's too little, too late and sign-up with FiOS...America's premier television, phone, Internet, and mobile phone services (Verizon Wireless). The shoe is on the other foot now so ask Cablevision how they plan to compensate you after being gouged the past 20+ years...and don't be afraid to ask for further discounts, free services, and free hardware in addition to their advertised specials.

Picture Quality is one good reason. It's better than what I had on Charter, Comcast, and Dish.

Price could be another issue depending on how much you're paying and what you're getting now.

Although I am disappointed because it seems the pricing is becoming less and less competitive. In other words I see the current pricing as ending up very similar to what the competition is offering instead of saving me money once my one year bundle it up. And where Verizon falls short is the capability and pricing on their HD boxes and DVRs. Wish they would rethink this because its expensive to be an all HD household due to this.

All companies have different pricing strategies. For example, CableVision charges you extra for VOD feeds... and if you want premium channels, it costs you a small fortune on CV - and yeah, they charge you EXTRA to get the VOD for your premium channel. In contrast, Verizon includes VOD with the channel. And premiums are a bargain compared to other services. If you get the movie package, you get some 47 SD channels (TMC, Showtime, Starz, Flix, Encore, IFC, Sundance), all of their HD counterparts (although Verizon, for some reason, still doesn't carry Starz West HD - but it's the only HD premium that they don't), and all of the VOD for those channels for IIRC $15/month. I still only pay $13/month for that package because I'm grandfathered into the lower price.

I've never had CV, but in general, here are the pros of FiOS, from my perspective:

1) The best PQ going. They're the only service that provides feeds, SD and HD, without doing any additional compression. And it shows.

2) Lots of channels - currently, per avsforum, FiOS has more HD channels than anyone. And they have a boatload of SD channels too.

3) Their internet service is just amazing - no slow periods (I get my full speed any time day or night), no throttling and no caps. It's just rock solid (I've had one minor outage in 3 1/2 years of service).

Some of the downsides:

1) Pricing is less flexible than other services. They have 2 basic tiers - Essentials and Extreme. Extreme gives you just about everything, but if you want HD, you really need Extreme. They really don't have tiered service. So if you want HD, but you don't want all the channels that they offer, then you're outta luck.

2) Billing - while it's gotten better, Verizon's billing leaves much to be desired. Although, personally, I've had very few issues - a couple very minor billing issues which were quickly and correctly resolved.

3) Because of an exclusive carry contract, MSNBC isn't available on FiOS in CV areas. CV has an exclusive carry contract - not sure when that contract is set to expire. And Verizon is currently fighting with CV to get MSG HD and MSG+ HD. If you're a big sports fan in the NY area, then this could be a show-stopper. The FCC is currently engaged in that process, and hopefully will find in Verizon's favor.

I'm not sure how CV compares to Cox, but I'm changing mostly due to price gouging by Cox (constanly changing and too many hidden fees). With VZ I'm able to get better services and quality with FiOS with a monthly cost savings. Also the ongoing price breaks and 2 year price guarantee make it a no brainer too. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my HD triple bundle with Cox outside of that. However I started to also noticed a lower picture quality over the years. Now that we are moving to all 1080p TVs and watch mostly BR DVDs/HD channels and sports, I have a higher need for HD. I also had to pay a premium for Cox's higher internet tier which is missled with the "power boost" feature calculated into its bandwith. I rather have constant speed all day long. I am getting the HMDVR also because it fits my needs and my way of watching TV.

Everyone has different reasons for switching to FiOS, so I suggest you compare what FiOS has to offer and compare it to what CV can offer...good and bad.

IMO, the only verizon drawback is having to sub to their phone service to get one of their bundles. When you see all of their bologna phone charges you will agree. But I guess thats why they give a discount. Frankly Id rather not see them itemized, after having Vonage for years seeing those charges pisses you off.

Their internet service is just amazing - no slow periods (I get my full speed any time day or night), no throttling and no caps. It's just rock solid (I've had one minor outage in 3 1/2 years of service).
Yep, 18-months here and not one single outage with any service; rock-solid reliable.
Billing - while it's gotten better, Verizon's billing leaves much to be desired. Although, personally, I've had very few issues - a couple very minor billing issues which were quickly and correctly resolved.
The billing and order systems were outdating and error prone when we ordered, but the billing systems has been accurate (14-months) once we worked out the bugs.

IMO, the only verizon drawback is having to sub to their phone service to get one of their bundles. When you see all of their bologna phone charges you will agree. But I guess thats why they give a discount. Frankly Id rather not see them itemized, after having Vonage for years seeing those charges pisses you off.
Dumping the phone wasn't initially an option...that's why we went with the Triple Play. After 7-months we were able to upgrade to the new HD-Extreme (more HD channels, $10 discount for 3-months, dumping 2-year contract to 1-year, and free HD DVR for 6-months) for the same price. Verizon actually offered a Double-Play (without phone) in our area at that time, but the free DVR and $10 discount made it a wash over going with a VOIP service since we needed a fax line.

Also, I had to order a VOIP line (Viatalk) for business purposes ($189 for 2-years) and even though we pay in advance we get hit each month for a number of fees and taxes.

Even with the extra 16.35 in phone taxes I am still saving money and getting a whole lot more with Verizon FIOS versus D*+ unlimited Vonage+Cox cable 10/2 internet. Finally got my 2nd bill for 1 full month and it is $164.32. With D* I was right at 100 bucks a month(without the silly HD pak) with 2 HD DVR's and 2 premiums (I have all premiums with FIOS), Vonage ran 31.22 a month and Cox 10/2 was 44 dollars a month. Thats 11 dollars in savings, a crap load more HD premium channels and double the internet speed or better as well as price protection for 2 years..

I want to sample Verizon Fios but I can't. It's available all over my hometown even across the street but its not available in my building. Time Warner Cable is all I can get and I'm sick of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)