Thinking of moving to DirecTV, for HD...is this crazy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davec53

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
i live in a "white area", and i got my LiL out of Lexington, KY. they don't offer HD versions on either Dish OR Direct right now, BUT, if i go with Direct, I can get distant networks in HD, and still keep my "local" channels in SD.

i know that Dish is the HD leader right now, but from what DTV is saying, they'll have the ability to offer 150 national HD channels and over 1,000 locals when their 2 birds go up next year....what has Dish got lined up? will they even be close to being able to compete with that number when, and if, it happens?

i just worry that Dish is going to fall behind on HD programming, and i'm ready to make the upgrade, so i have to decide which one to put my money on. i'm already a Dish subscriber, and I love my 522....and the only reason i haven't already pulled the trigger and gone with Direct is that their HD-DVR doesn't have dual outputs like the 622.

we record a lot of stuff and like being able to watch it in either the living room or the bedroom.

all that aside, however...who do you like in the race for dominating the HD market...Dish, or DTV?

thanks!

If you want to go to D*, go ahead. But, don't go expecting to get 150 national HD and 1000 local HD channels. There aren't that many HD channels out there yet, and won't be for awhile.

D* and E* will play leapfrog. Right now E* is in the lead. Next year it might be D*. After that E* again. ............

Given the past record for both companies, I would never make a major commitment based on rumors of future capabilities. It simply isn't going to happen the way you think it will, and who knows what Charlie will come up with in the meantime.

Jump because of something that IS, not something that MIGHT BE.

Given the past record for both companies, I would never make a major commitment based on rumors of future capabilities. It simply isn't going to happen the way you think it will, and who knows what Charlie will come up with in the meantime.

Jump because of something that IS, not something that MIGHT BE.

hmmmm....can't argue with that logic. :)

All Direct is doing is adding more Locals in HD. They still will not have as many as Dish so Dish still has 30 channels of HD. Direct only has about 10 plus your 4 locals so total about 14-15 at the most. Even after Direct puts up more birds Dish will still have more. So there is only so many nantional HD channels and Dish has most of them more than Direct. So if anyone right now goes to Direct for HD it would be a step backwards.

but i wonder how long it might be before the locals for lexington will make it up to Dish in HD? they aren't really blazing any trails on that front right now, it seems. they started off great, but not so much any more.

heck, if they'd offer something more than just CBS-HD to those folks like me who don't have access to LiL HD channels yet, this wouldn't even be a question. (also would be pretty happy if i hadn't lost my distants from Denver...dangit!)

I agree with the advice that unless you must have something that TB* (TurdBird TV) offers right now, it would probably be best to stay with E* and monitor the situation. Otherwise you might find yourself in the middle of a two year commitment and TB* not delivering on their promises.

I'm just 4 months into my 18 month 622 commitment, but I expect to seriously re-evaluate my situation at the end of next year.

Last edited:
Well I think Dish is post to add 3 more cities Locals in HD before the year is up. My guess the rest of them would be added sometime next year. I have several friends that left Direct after being with them for a long time. They all tell me the samething and that is they wished they switched to Dish a long time ago.

HD in the hand is worth two HD rumors in the bush
D* has been saying more HD for years, like since 2002
Voom was the true HD leader, but sadly ahead of their time. Few had HD then.
Now even walmart sells HDtv and E* has many voom channels.
D*? Still rumors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)