Thinking of moving...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hannonpi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
From Dish to Voom. Anyone here done that? Is it much better? Is there a DVR coming?

thanks,
Paddy Hannon

Yes & summer.

Much more HD variety. The East & West coast HD channels help offset the DVR/home networking option coming this summer.

If you watch primarily HD it's a no brainer.

If there is a special SD channel you can't live w/o, then it becomes more complicated. Voom is definitely the leader and has the commitment to HD. I am about to sell my 811 & 921 & 5000/HD modulator and drop Echostar completely.

Tim

Their receiver probably doesn't put out a super dark SD signal, does it? lol my 811 really gets my goat. I have a DVR I built, just can't use it due to all the 811 issues. The only thing I really worry about is that Voom is so new. I guess they are backed by cablevision which is a huge company. My local cable company adelphia just brought in hd cable. DirectTV is coming out with the HDTivo...E*'s competition is really starting to heat up. I'm thinking of just taking the plunge and ordering the Voom service. So far I haven't seen any reason not to.

paddy

hannonpi said:
Their receiver probably doesn't put out a super dark SD signal, does it? lol my 811 really gets my goat. I have a DVR I built, just can't use it due to all the 811 issues. The only thing I really worry about is that Voom is so new. I guess they are backed by cablevision which is a huge company. My local cable company adelphia just brought in hd cable. DirectTV is coming out with the HDTivo...E*'s competition is really starting to heat up. I'm thinking of just taking the plunge and ordering the Voom service. So far I haven't seen any reason not to.

paddy

I am going to run them side by side for the first year. If I am pleased with VOOM (SD and HD) after that point, I will cancel DISH's non HD content and wait out the rest of my contract with them for the HD Pack... then bye bye DISH.

Now if DISH manages to carry more HD within that year, I can always get rid of VOOM. For now, they are a $39.95 HD pack. :)

Bill

That is a great idea. I just signed up with Voom. Since there is no 1 year contract if it is not better than Dish I am just going to send it back.

Paddy

hannonpi said:
That is a great idea. I just signed up with Voom. Since there is no 1 year contract if it is not better than Dish I am just going to send it back.

Paddy

:) I thought it was a good idea. You may want to move any of the premium channels you have from DISH over to VOOM (Cancel the package from your DISH account and sign up with VOOM for that premium channel) that way you get HD versions, and multiple HD channels for them at that.

I have AT120/HD/Starz from DISH. I am keeping AT120 since I have two SD TV's in the house (and I like the music channels) and the HD pack (two year agreement) from DISH. I am deleting my Starz sub from DISH and adding the Starz pack from VOOM (once I am installed and running with VOOM).

The beauty of this over the course of the year is that my family has TV/Digital music throughout the house (AT120), we have DISH's HD lineup and VOOM's HD lineup + Starz in HD.

Not too bad for $100 a month. I could be paying Comcast that much for a whole lot less.

Comcast: 77.98 + 5.10 = over $83 and we havent even looked at their taxes, fees and other charges I am unaware of.

Dish = 34.99 + $10 (HD) + $10 (Other receivers) = 54.99
VOOM = 39.95 + $10 (rental) = 49.95

A lot more for a few extra bucks. I do wish the extra receiver fee's would go away on DISH though.

-Bill

I killed Dish to switch to Voom in December 2003, and have been happy with the switch. It seemed that Dish kept offering new customers all the breaks, and existing customers got nothing. When I decided to upgrade to HD and heard about Voom, it became a no-brainer, even with the $749 installation fee. Now Voom has come back to the early adopters and given us a $300 credit toward future billing, and I've had 'free' TV from December until Voom starts billing in April 2004.

I had Dish Network for 7 years before making the switch to Voom, and now that Voom has added a boatload of channels, I'm very satisfied.

I'm new to DISH, so I am in a contract to give them some time to impress me. It should be interesting to see the differences in real time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)