Thinking of not upgrading to Hopper 3

Where are you getting 3.2%?
Not in a savings account I can tell you that much.
We tried that money market account crap too and 1.0%.
No thanks!

I have Various investments, last year I made close to 5K.
Of course we have savings accounts too , because you can't be stupid, But you basically don't expect to make money from them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Anyone know how much to break a contract actually costs?

I believe it begins (at the beginning of the 2-year sentence) at $480, which is $20 per month (based on the 24 months). So it depends on where you are within the 24-month window. It drops by $20 with each passing month. I still have a year to go, so mine would be $240 right now.

You're welcome. I went through a similar situation when I broke my contract with DirecTV when they went back on a promise to keep my bill low with continuing promotions. When I came back to Dish a year ago, they gave me a $200+ gift card, which paid for the DTV early termination fee. That is probably why many of the TV services offer these debit cards to sign with them -- helps defray the fee owed to the service being terminated.

I currently have two Hoppers with Sling and three Joeys. I have external hard drives connected to the two Joeys. I have noticed that I only can play from content on the external hard drives from the Hopper that is connected to. I can't play the content of the external hard drives from the Joeys or from Dish Anywhere. Each of my Hoppers has a 2 TB hard drive and I can connect two 2 TB hard drives. With my present set up, I can play my recordings from either of the the Hoppers. I have access to 4 TB of recordings from Dish Anywhere or either of the televisions that are connected to the Hoppers. With the Hopper 3, my option would be to have one Hopper 3 and four Joeys. I would only be able to play 2 TB of recordings from the Hoppers or televisions that are not connected to the Hopper 3 and I would only have access to 2 TB of recordings from Dish Anywhere. At least this is my understanding from reading through the threads. I presently don't have a 4K television. I live alone and rarely have need to record more than 5 programs at a time while watching a 6th.
My primary television in the living room died yesterday. It was a 55" Panasonic Plasma 1080p HD set that was about six years old. I decided to upgrade to a 4K set, Vizio M65-C1. So suddenly the upgrade seems more attractive. But I have a question about streaming. Can I get 4K (compressed) with with my current Hopper if I stream from it using the Netflix application? I would be streaming from the internet and not using the dish to access the satellites. So I would think I should be able to stream 4K.

My primary television in the living room died yesterday. It was a 55" Panasonic Plasma 1080p HD set that was about six years old. I decided to upgrade to a 4K set, Vizio M65-C1. So suddenly the upgrade seems more attractive. But I have a question about streaming. Can I get 4K (compressed) with with my current Hopper if I stream from it using the Netflix application? I would be streaming from the internet and not using the dish to access the satellites. So I would think I should be able to stream 4K.
No, because 4K requires HDMI ports that are HDCP 2.2 compliant, which is a new hardware standard that only the hopper 3 will have

I believe it begins (at the beginning of the 2-year sentence) at $480, which is $20 per month (based on the 24 months). So it depends on where you are within the 24-month window. It drops by $20 with each passing month. I still have a year to go, so mine would be $240 right now.
It's $20 per month of the remaining term for new business.

Unless things changed with the last rate revision, an upgrade ETF is only $10 per month of the remaining term.

Purchasing equipment almost never makes sense.

If upgrading, presumably you know the product, your reception, etc. What are the odds of cancelling within a year or even two?

Unless things changed with the last rate revision, an upgrade ETF is only $10 per month of the remaining term.

If upgrading, presumably you know the product, your reception, etc. What are the odds of cancelling within a year or even two?
For me, personally, it's the desire to do the install myself. As far as the possibility of cancelling, that's a small part of why I don't want to be under contract. But, a more important reason than that, is not being under contract has always given me the leverage I need to help negotiate a $30+ discount on my bill. The largest such discount I negotiated in the past was $40 discount. While I don't expect a deal that great again, I'll never get more than a $5 or $10 discount if any under contract. So, say I have my average of $30 off for 2 years. That's $720 in savings, which is a win doing it myself

You're probably right about the ETF. I was with Dish for 7-8 years before leaving for 3 years. When I came back, I'm assuming it was as a brand new customer.

As for purchasing new equipment, I agree with you. It doesn't make any sense unless money is no object and there is a desire to do self-installation, etc. Otherwise it makes no sense to buy something at retail prices and sell it at bargain rates a few years later.

No, because 4K requires HDMI ports that are HDCP 2.2 compliant, which is a new hardware standard that only the hopper 3 will have
Thank you for that information. The Vizio M65-C1 has three HDMI ports that have HDCP 2.2 support and it has the Netflex and Amazon applications. Therefore the only reason I would need the Hopper 3 would be for when Dish actually provides additional 4K content.

Last edited:
The way I look at it if you own your own equipment than you should be allowed to get some kind of discount. The price you pay now is for dish to supply all receivers .That is built into your monthly bill you will never no the true cost of service it's the same model that the phone companies use with there monthly rate plan and a subsidized phone .Phone companies are doing away with that so when you buy your own equipment you will get a better price on the plan you have ( or so they say )

The cost you are paying to BUY the receiver is still much less than what it cost them to make the receiver. So I guess you could say you are getting a discount. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)