Thinking of purchasing Vip 722..Good idea?

Roozilla

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Texas
I'm thinking of buying a Vip 722 DVR and I was wondering how reliable this model is. I'm used to leasing and if a problem happens, I just call Dish and get a replacement. Unfortunately, I have to wait 6 months to a year before I can upgrade again and I really don't want to wait that long. I guess my main question is, is it a hassle to get a receiver repaired and is this particular model trouble prone. Any and all suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm thinking of buying a Vip 722 DVR and I was wondering how reliable this model is. I'm used to leasing and if a problem happens, I just call Dish and get a replacement. Unfortunately, I have to wait 6 months to a year before I can upgrade again and I really don't want to wait that long. I guess my main question is, is it a hassle to get a receiver repaired and is this particular model trouble prone. Any and all suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We have had our 722 since approximately September and love it. The only words of caution I would warn you against is that the 722 does run hot. We had ours in a glass enclosed cabinet with a shelf above it. It got very hot the day it was installed. We removed the shelf and it didn't help. Removed the glass door so there is approximately a foot of air space above and a couple inches on each side and we have had no problems with it.

My recommendation is to make sure you have plenty of room for air flow around the 722 and you should be good. Most complaints I have heard ended up being related to the 722 overheating due to it being too enclosed.

Geoff

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. One other question, did anyone get an extended warranty with a 722. I usually try to avoid these. I was just wondering if I should consider it.

I had bought my 522 and when it took a dump called dish and for 19.95 they sent me a new one and I sent back the one I had bought. So it could be the same with the 722 if you buy it. That was the only one that ever broke on me.

hey roozilla... read my post "good deal"... might work for you.... i have that protection plan just in case.. 4 receivers i had before broke and i cant count how many remotes broke at my home.. its a good thing to have if you got kids running around thinking there objects that can flote or be thrown when mad. out of those two remotes i use only one and the others and locked away.

rockymt never thought about buying a laptop cooler for anything more than a laptop... wow great idea, maybe i can buy one and try it out on my xbox360.

Just get a laptop cooler and it will drop the temps nicely. I have an Antec one, with a USB pass-through; so I can still connect the External HDD from the back port.

Thanks for sharing your cooling solution with the group! I've been trying to figure out a solution for high heat with the ViP 622 in a cabinet with glass-front doors for months.

On your advice, I purchased the Antec at Circuit City ($15 off on-sale) today and installed it. It seems to work great. What an elegant, cheap, and quiet solution!

Thanks a bunch

Jack

I've got an Antec laptop cooler under my ViP622. Just as an "insurance" item.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts