Thinking of Switching from Dish to Charter Triple Play Gold

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nickg420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Flowery Branch, Ga
Anyone do a similar switch that can provide some outlook on what to expect?

Doing the switch would save me roughly $60 a month for more HD and I would add a home phone which I do not currently have.

If you are used to the Hopper you will not like charters DVR. 2 tuners and very little hard drive space. I moved from Direct to charter but use TiVos. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Later this year. . . they are supposed to introduce the WorldBox which is supposed to be similar to Xfinitys X1 system.

If you are used to the Hopper you will not like charters DVR. 2 tuners and very little hard drive space. I moved from Direct to charter but use TiVos. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Later this year. . . they are supposed to introduce the WorldBox which is supposed to be similar to Xfinitys X1 system.

I wonder if they'll stop supporting Tivo's with cablecards, once this "WorldBox" system rolls out?

That is the $2 million question. I know the techs don't like dealing with them. I've had a few service calls from unpairing issues.

Claude, you are absolutely correct. It is really a good offer on the triple play and the reason I switched.

I wonder if they'll stop supporting Tivo's with cablecards, once this "WorldBox" system rolls out?

That is the $2 million question. I know the techs don't like dealing with them. I've had a few service calls from unpairing issues.

Claude, you are absolutely correct. It is really a good offer on the triple play and the reason I switched.

They aren't allowed to stop supporting Cable Cards. It's an FCC mandate. That's probably the only reason they ever started allowing it to begin with. My Tivo with Cable Card and tuning adapter has been rock solid in my first month of service. No missed recordings and I haven't had to pair anything since the original install.

Back to the original question, I canceled my Dish Hopper system and went about 15 months with no cable or satellite. I used a Tivo Roamio as an OTA DVR and was happy doing that.

About a month ago I took advantage of Charter's Spectrum Silver package because I wanted cable for MLB baseball and March Madness. My 2 year internet promo was running out and for about $30 more than my new internet price alone they offered me the Spectrum Silver package. This is basically equivalent to Dish AT 250 with HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime included. They gave me a discount so that Silver upgrade only cost $10 more than the Spectrum Select package.

I can't speak to Charter's equipment because I am still using my Tivo Roamio and a Tivo Mini. Using this setup means my only equipment fee is the $2 Cable Card rental. That means I don't have to pay their $19.99 DVR service fee or the $6.99 box rental fee for each of my TVs. That Tivo is saving me about $32 in equipment fees every month and it's much better than Charter's DVRs.

I highly recommend going with a Tivo if you switch to Cable. I say the Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini setup is at least as good, if not better than my old Hopper and Joey setup.

I use the Basic Roamio with a 2TB hard drive I easily installed so I can switch between Cable service and OTA without changing my equipment. Even that basic model gives you 4 tuners versus the Hopper's 3. It also has Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, MLB.tv, and other streaming services built into the box while the Hopper only has Netflix. If you want more tuners and don't care about being able to use it with OTA get the Roamio Plus. This one has 6 tuners. I would say that the Roamio Pro is not necessary though. All Roamio's are easy to upgrade up to 3TB yourself.

The only things the Hopper has that the Roamio doesn't are prime time anytime and auto-hop. They are cool features but I still say the Roamio is a better overall package.

I highly recommend switching as well. Have had Silver for a while now, and lineup is far superior to satellite for far less money. Charter DVRs are ancient, but using Tivo or Windows Media Center (as I do) works beautifully. My WMC systems consists of a cheap PC with 4TB recording space connected to a 6 tuner Ceton serving 6 TVs, 5 of which use Ceton Echo extenders. So I'm saving about $50/month in DVR and equipment fees as well as about $40 on my programming compared to satellite.

Also, Charter has far more HD than satellite, about 80 more channels at the moment, at full 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080 like Dish. And you typically get many of your local sub-channels without having to use OTA.

I've recently switched from Dish to Mediacom cable with my Tivo Roamio Plus. While both D* and E* have more HD channels, Mediacom has all the ones I actually watch. And I'm saving money with the bundle of TV and 50/5 internet. Got all the Premiums minus Starz/Encore.

The Tivo is better overall for management of programs and series links since it will set them up for streaming sites it supports as well as the cable.

I think the Hopper is still the best if all you want to do is manage your satellite service though.

Yeah, I've been deciding for a bit now, and I have every intention of switching to the base level Roamio, so I can go either straight OTA only, or get a cable card and go with Charter only. I have Charter 60 mb internet only right now, (and Dish AT120 for tv) and it wouldn't be hard to switch and add the tv service.

Dish's prices have gone up so high for less service over the years, that I just can't justify it anymore.

A lot of talk here about hardware but what about PQ. Have people noticed a drop in PQ going to Charter? I'm sick of the subpar dish picture quality so may give charter a try. Just don't know what the chances are it is any better.

Never thought I'd do it but I was ready to switch to Charter from Dish a month ago. Been with 'em constantly since '99. Bottom line is I'd save about $50 @ month the 1st year. I have their internet & phone now. When I called to cancel Dish made me an offer I couldn't turn down. I'll see what happens when the year of credits expires.

Ed

I'm still torn....

On the one hand I would love the extra HD Channels and possibly better PQ. I'm not even that upset about upfront costs for a Tivo and 2 minis as I know they will eventually pay for themselves with the savings in fees from Charter.

The only thing really holding me back is that my house is wireless only. None of the rooms have Ethernet. Is there a wireless solution from Tivo that will allow streaming to the Minis?

Also, my wife and I use On Demand from Dish a lot. Am I correct in assuming that, without a Charter Box, On Demand features are not available?

I'm still torn....

On the one hand I would love the extra HD Channels and possibly better PQ. I'm not even that upset about upfront costs for a Tivo and 2 minis as I know they will eventually pay for themselves with the savings in fees from Charter.

The only thing really holding me back is that my house is wireless only. None of the rooms have Ethernet. Is there a wireless solution from Tivo that will allow streaming to the Minis?

Also, my wife and I use On Demand from Dish a lot. Am I correct in assuming that, without a Charter Box, On Demand features are not available?
So you currently have Dish in every room and no wires, not even coax? Typically, you would do Moca (over coax) for cable TV systems like Tivo Roamio and Minis. You could also do powerline ethernet.

Tivo can handle On Demand with some providers, but I don't think Charter is one of them. I've never really used On Demand because I find the content very lacking and poor quality. I always manage to find what I need on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, Starz, Epix, and other provider websites. Are the kinds of things you watch On Demand not available any other way? You could also get one or two cable boxes if you really needed On Demand.

So you currently have Dish in every room and no wires, not even coax? Typically, you would do Moca (over coax) for cable TV systems like Tivo Roamio and Minis. You could also do powerline ethernet.

Tivo can handle On Demand with some providers, but I don't think Charter is one of them. I've never really used On Demand because I find the content very lacking and poor quality. I always manage to find what I need on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, Starz, Epix, and other provider websites. Are the kinds of things you watch On Demand not available any other way? You could also get one or two cable boxes if you really needed On Demand.

No there is coax cable ran in every room. However, my understanding is that the Hopper itself takes my wireless internet and creates the Moca network. Will the Tivo do the same for the Minis?

No there is coax cable ran in every room. However, my understanding is that the Hopper itself takes my wireless internet and creates the Moca network. Will the Tivo do the same for the Minis?

That depends on which Tivo you buy. If you buy the basic 4 tuner Roamio that can be used with OTA and cable you would need to buy an external MOCA adapter. If you buy one of the 6 tuner, cable only Roamios MOCA is built in. Since MOCA isn't built into my basic Roamio I just use ethernet for my Tivo Mini.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)