Thinking of switching to Dish...DHPP Question

Milmanias

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Question about the DHPP...it's $6 a month and $15 for a service call, and $25 to cancel, while it's $95 for a tech to make a service call, correct?

If my math is correct, assuming 1 call per year, it is
$87 for a year for a year of DHPP and one service call
$95 for a service call with no DHPP
$42 for signing up for the DHPP, calling for a service call, keeping it 2 months and cancelling after 2 months.

Is there any reason not to go with the last option? Is there a wait time after you sign up for the DHPP before you can call for service?

How often do Dish receivers fail?

Thanks

Dish receivers do not fail often, but they can do it. If the receiver is leased it will be replaced by Dish if you have DHPP of not. You would have to pay a service call though. If you got your Dish from a retailer then you may be to pay a lower price for a service call. For instance, we charge $60 for a service call. It's more expensive that the DHPP rate, but cheaper than Dish's service rate. Most of our customers drop the DHPP after the free period.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that if there is a $25 fee to cancel, I may not want to sign up for the free period.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that if there is a $25 fee to cancel, I may not want to sign up for the free period.

As a NEW customer, you may not be levied the $25 cancellation fee after your free DHPP promotion ends. Maybe someone here can verify or dispute my thinking...

Eric

They will only charge you the $25 fee if you sign up after Feb 1st and then decide to cancel. Customers who have DHPP now and decide to cancel after Feb. 1st will not be charged and new customers who get it free for 6 months and decide to cancel will not be charged. It's just to prevent customers from signing up quick for service and then canceling.

I believe the system was abused by customers and retailers lost is the reason for the $25 cancelation fee. I do believe that calling your local retailer who installed your system is always best. Many times I will do free service calls for my customers or they know it will cost $75 for my trip and repair. This does not happen often as my installs are good and the equipment is new. The stuff just doesn't break down that mush and most of my calls are to fix a mis aligned dish, cut wire, trees in the way. In all my years I have only seen two Legacy LNBs go bad. Two 311 that would over heat and shut down. I have had more failures out of the box new, especially with the tempermental DVR's,,,Droooppped Shipped!
With the new price structure it appears to me owning the system is the way to go anyways and avoid all these so called perks they are offering. You will be happier and have more control over your bill, just a suggestion.

Anyways who wants to do a service call for $19.95. How much can Dish Network devalue the retailer. Was it not just two years ago when DNS was charging $99.99 for a typical service call to the customer. And my customer would pay for it, and then call me and ask where I am at, i would say, what are you talking about, you never called me. They would say I called the 800 number and I thought you would be here to fix it for me. I would say nope, I don't work for Dish Network and if you have any problems give me a call or cancel it right now and I will charge you only $75 to come out. Guess what they would not cancel because they felt obligated to their decision even if it was going to save them $25. So go figure..huh?

Retailers really need to be taken care of. Otherwise, service will inevitably go down. We all deserve a decent living.

I am a believer in DHPP, or whatever they're calling it now. I had 6 721s float thru my home. Great unit, when it worked. Also had a ViP622 go bad. Now, I'd rather just not be concerned. I'd rather pay a bit per month than an occasional large bill. And I don't want to game the system.

With the new price structure it appears to me owning the system is the way to go anyways and avoid all these so called perks they are offering. You will be happier and have more control over your bill, just a suggestion.

The price structure and economics have not changed as to "leasing" vs owning.

It is still cheaper to lease, because the depreciation on the price of the receivers is much higher than the lease fee paid up front, especially in my case, I was able to upgrade from an excellent 622 to the "excellent-er" 722k with no lease fee whatsoever.

Fees are identical whether you own or lease, there is just NO reason to buy the equipment when you can get it for $100 or less, maybe even free.

Why would I buy a new ViP211 for $125-150 when I can get one for $0-25 off lease.

If you are patient, you can even get new hardware like the 922 for less than the $200 that early adopters pay.

I'll bet 18 months after the 922 is released, you can do a Dish'N-It-Up on a 922 for $100, maybe less, if you are a good customer or you can buy one for $500 and after 2-3 years it will be selling for $150 on eBay.

The only reason to buy is that you have exceeded the leased tuner limit and you cannot jawbone Dish into sending you one more on lease.

So if you are leasing/renting a receiver and it fails for whatever reason why would the customer have to pay anything? There shouldn't be any need for DHPP when leasing a receiver no? Won't Dish send you a replacement receiver in the mail with a shipping label to return the defective one?

Being a retailer with E management screwing around would make me ill.......

Having been a dealer for companies who went for the bottom line and trashed their business, its terrible and nealy took me down with them:( It was a close thing:( 2 of those companies went completely out of business and a couple others are mere shadows of their former selves:(

perhaps E dealers need to look at other things to sell and install, at least untill E comes to their senses?

Being a retailer with E management screwing around would make me ill.......

Having been a dealer for companies who went for the bottom line and trashed their business, its terrible and nealy took me down with them:( It was a close thing:( 2 of those companies went completely out of business and a couple others are mere shadows of their former selves:(

perhaps E dealers need to look at other things to sell and install, at least untill E comes to their senses?

I'm not quite sure what all that has to do with the topic of this thread, but ok.

So if you are leasing/renting a receiver and it fails for whatever reason why would the customer have to pay anything? There shouldn't be any need for DHPP when leasing a receiver no? Won't Dish send you a replacement receiver in the mail with a shipping label to return the defective one?

Some leases require repairs to be borne by the lessee. For example, amongst other duties, I am fleet manager for the company where I work. We lease dozens of vehicles. Some, we are completely responsible for, paying for all repairs. Some, we pay an additional fee each month ($100+ all the way up to 1 arm and 1 leg) for routine maintenance to all be included for the first 4 years or 100,000 miles. There's always a limit on how many tires, oil changes, etc that are covered. Body damage is never covered. And no, we generally don't file an insurance claim on small damages.

So leases vary widely. Dish has set up a system where you can take the risk upon yourself, or pay for them to take almost all of the risk. It's a matter of what you want to pay. I assure you, if they were to, for whatever reason, suddenly start covering all repairs to those boxes (like many/most cablecos for their cheapo limited boxes), our bills would go up. Ain't nothing free.

TANSTAAFL

I'm not quite sure what all that has to do with the topic of this thread, but ok.

When companies get totally PROFIT centered, losing interest in their reputation and public value perception.

It puts not JUST the offending company at risk but their retaier family too:(

Thus my suggestion retailers may need to look for other thiongs to sell.

When companies get totally PROFIT centered, losing interest in their reputation and public value perception.

It puts not JUST the offending company at risk but their retaier family too:(

Thus my suggestion retailers may need to look for other thiongs to sell.

So may I suggest that you start your own thread on the subject.

Ain't nothing free.

TANSTAAFL

I understand what you are saying. Every lease situation is different but for Dish subscribers they are already paying for their programming and a lease/rental fee for a working receiver. The lease fee should cover any failures as the progamming fees cover the programming IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)