Thinking of switching to Dish, have a question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Currently I have a HR 54 genie in my basement and a wireless mini in my living room. I don’t have any coax in my living room. I am thinking of switching to Dish so I would put a Hopper 3 in the basement and a wireless Joey in the living room. Just wondering how the wireless Joey is compared to the wired ones? I’m not impressed with the wireless genie mini vs the wired one. It’s very laggy compared to the wired one. Otherwise I was considering having the installer run coax to my living room, even if it costs more.

Currently I have a HR 54 genie in my basement and a wireless mini in my living room. I don’t have any coax in my living room. I am thinking of switching to Dish so I would put a Hopper 3 in the basement and a wireless Joey in the living room. Just wondering how the wireless Joey is compared to the wired ones? I’m not impressed with the wireless genie mini vs the wired one. It’s very laggy compared to the wired one. Otherwise I was considering having the installer run coax to my living room, even if it costs more.
I use wireless joeys. Menus are slightly laggy but not anything that would be considered bothersome and I probably only really notice it because the Hopper 3 is so much faster than any other receivers

If your thinking of running a coax I would do that and get a joey 3 instead of a wireless joey, the wireless joey is so slow.

Reactions: DWS44
I don’t care if the menus are slightly laggy, I can live with that. However, my wireless genie mini is horrible on fast forwarding, pausing, etc. Sometimes I press the fast forward button and it takes several seconds for it to respond.

I don’t care if the menus are slightly laggy, I can live with that. However, my wireless genie mini is horrible on fast forwarding, pausing, etc. Sometimes I press the fast forward button and it takes several seconds for it to respond.

I agree that there can be a lag sometimes on menus, accessing DVR list, etc, on the Wireless Joey, but never noticed any real lag using Trick Play on the Joeys like you describe from the Wireless Genie. Trick Play on all the Joey models tends to be a bit inconsistent (i.e. sometimes hitting skip back or skip forward will go more or less than the 10/30 seconds they are supposed to).

Not sure about the wireless Joey, but the regular Joeys are So much snappier when doing trick play operations than the DirecTV clients. Your best experience will be with a wired connection.

From what I understand and have observed (not being a Dish employee, but a customer), if the Joey is installed at the same time as the Hopper system, they will run the cable to the Joey, but it will all be outside, i.e. from the node or splitter outside around the house through the wall of the room where the Joey is and to the Joey.

No crawling through your attic, fishing walls or crawling under the house without extra charges is my understanding.

From what I understand and have observed (not being a Dish employee, but a customer), if the Joey is installed at the same time as the Hopper system, they will run the cable to the Joey, but it will all be outside, i.e. from the node or splitter outside around the house through the wall of the room where the Joey is and to the Joey.

No crawling through your attic, fishing walls or crawling under the house without extra charges is my understanding.

So that's about the only way that they could get a coax cable to where my TV is anyway. Currently there IS coax in the room, but it is on the other side of the room with no way to get it from there to where our TV is at. I tried to get wife to let me rearrange the living room and place the TV on the wall with the coax, but that isn't happening. So the only two options are either a wireless Joey, or have them run a cable around the outside of the house. I guess I'm ok with them doing that, as long as they'll put in boxes and stuff so it looks nice. Not just drill a hole through the wall, run the cable through, and call it a day.

That's not true, although some techs may abuse the $50.00 Wire Maintenance charge we use for some circumstances (Cable burial over 50' for example) to try and get out of doing wall fishes or going into an attic or crawl space. If a wall fish is requested and able top be dome, then Dish does not charge for that

So that's about the only way that they could get a coax cable to where my TV is anyway. Currently there IS coax in the room, but it is on the other side of the room with no way to get it from there to where our TV is at. I tried to get wife to let me rearrange the living room and place the TV on the wall with the coax, but that isn't happening. So the only two options are either a wireless Joey, or have them run a cable around the outside of the house. I guess I'm ok with them doing that, as long as they'll put in boxes and stuff so it looks nice. Not just drill a hole through the wall, run the cable through, and call it a day.
The best I can tel you is this; There are good techs and bad techs in every company, every provider. Make sure you explain to your tech when he shows up that you expect everything to be done right, neat and clean and will accept nothing less. You're in the Sioux Falls area and that is a region served by a small Sub Contractor and has out of market techs rotating in and out often. I was up there last year, in June and the work I saw by previous techs was frightening, to be honest,. so stay on top of whoever shows up. As far as the Wireless Joeys,. they're fine, really. That extra split second to open a menu isn't going to overly noticeable

If your thinking of running a coax I would do that and get a joey 3 instead of a wireless joey, the wireless joey is so slow.
If you want to talk about slow, you need to talk about the Joey 1, and to a lesser degree, the 2. I've had all three...and currently use a WJ. As previously stated, it's not the snapiest, but it's not "so slow"!

If you want to talk about slow, you need to talk about the Joey 1, and to a lesser degree, the 2. I've had all three...and currently use a WJ. As previously stated, it's not the snapiest, but it's not "so slow"!
The wireless Joey is the same speed as the J2 which is fine for a bedroom but hahler2 is talking about a Livingroom where I assume most viewing will be, once he see's how fast the H3 is compared to the wireless joey just trying to save him some disappointment the J3 is just about as fast as a H3.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
The wireless Joey is the same speed as the J2 which is fine for a bedroom but hahler2 is talking about a Livingroom where I assume most viewing will be, once he see's how fast the H3 is compared to the wireless joey just trying to save him some disappointment the J3 is just about as fast as a H3 and 4K.
It has been mentioned the Joey 3 is a little bit faster than the 4K Joey. The way to go is by cable with a 4K Joey for the future you will be ready for 4K TV.

Reactions: HipKat
The way to go is by cable with a 4K Joey for the future you will be ready for 4K TV.

That's what's going in this Saturday with a AirTV dual tuner adapter I ordered. Next project is to select a 4K front projector and new receiver.

We've been real happy with our VIP722K for years, never a glitch. I hope the new Hopper 3 and 4K Joey are as reliable.

Reactions: pattykay
The best I can tel you is this; There are good techs and bad techs in every company, every provider. Make sure you explain to your tech when he shows up that you expect everything to be done right, neat and clean and will accept nothing less. You're in the Sioux Falls area and that is a region served by a small Sub Contractor and has out of market techs rotating in and out often. I was up there last year, in June and the work I saw by previous techs was frightening, to be honest,. so stay on top of whoever shows up. As far as the Wireless Joeys,. they're fine, really. That extra split second to open a menu isn't going to overly noticeable

Lol. I can attest to that! Over the course of the last 15 years or so I've switched between the 2 companies a couple of times. I've had some really really good techs, and I've had some that were horrible. It really is luck of the draw.

I'm a little less concerned about the wireless Joey after talking to you guys. I'm sure it would be a little bit laggy, but anything has to be better than the wireless genie mini that I'm running now. I like my HR 54. Can't stand the mini!

One last install question. Do they have the ability to reuse the mast from my Directv dish? I would really prefer them not to make new holes in my roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts