Thinking of switching to Dish

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
1. Convince me why I should switch over from TWC to DishNetwork.

The only reason I do want to switch is because my cable boxes reset themselves once a week, when I am not home, and then my Tivo records nothing. TWC says "this is normal, as the boxes have to update themselves." At my parents, in 16 years, its never happened. At my old place, for 14 mos, never happened. Ever since moving here, TWWC has been out 12 times to correct things, and they never got it right.

2. 18 mo commitment. What if I move during that18 mo period....will they re-install for free?

3. My locals are on 129, according to the CSR I spoke to last night. Due to where the dish will have to be placed in my yard, I cannot see 129. What are my options to get locals? Will they give me a waiver and let me get locals fom somewhere else? I really just want a good feed for NBC, CBS, and ABC. I can set up and antenna in the house, but I would rather not.

4. I am going to get America's Everything Pak plus Dish Latino bonus. Thats pretty much all the channels they have, right?

Sassan said:
1. Convince me why I should switch over from TWC to DishNetwork.

The only reason I do want to switch is because my cable boxes reset themselves once a week, when I am not home, and then my Tivo records nothing. TWC says "this is normal, as the boxes have to update themselves." At my parents, in 16 years, its never happened. At my old place, for 14 mos, never happened. Ever since moving here, TWWC has been out 12 times to correct things, and they never got it right.
It's hard to say that you wont have any issues with dish, there are many users on here, me included, that have had few issues with dish or their equipment. However there are others that have had many issues. So i think the only way to do this, is find a good local retailer so you have a local person with a business to protect who will help you when you have issues etc. Build a relationship with that retailer and your resolution to issues will, imho, be minimized. Dealing with the dish company will make you just one of the many out there and their attention is , at best , divided.

Sassan said:
2. 18 mo commitment. What if I move during that18 mo period....will they re-install for free?
If you keep the programming and service then they have a dishmover service, look it up on www.dishnetwork.com. The 2 times i have moved it has been free.
Sassan said:
3. My locals are on 129, according to the CSR I spoke to last night. Due to where the dish will have to be placed in my yard, I cannot see 129. What are my options to get locals? Will they give me a waiver and let me get locals fom somewhere else? I really just want a good feed for NBC, CBS, and ABC. I can set up and antenna in the house, but I would rather not.
You could try to get your locals in HD via an OTA antenna, see www.antennaweb.org if you can pick them up. I dont see any plans to move SD coliumbus to the 110 slot so you may be SOL there. Others may have better info than me.
Sassan said:
4. I am going to get America's Everything Pak plus Dish Latino bonus. Thats pretty much all the channels they have, right?
This is not quite everything. It doesnt inlcude any HD - may not be an issue, you will need to subscribe to locals if you want them via dish or if you go the HD route I suggested above. Plus i think there's another set of Superchannels but ive never subscribed to them either.

Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)