Thinking of switching

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

seaofblue

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Hello all. I was a directtv subscriber for a many years until AT&T came along and it didn't take long for me to cancel my subscription. For the past year I have had Youtube TV and Philo which isn't a bad combo. A couple of things annoy me with streaming though. One is having to switch between apps to browse all of the channels ( which is a minor annoyance) and the fact that the prices are getting almost as high as cable/satellite and you are getting less of a user friendly interface. I miss a real guide and dvr. I need so recommendations. I need a setup of 2 or 3 tvs in the house. I would like to be able to record more than 2 shows at a time and still watch live tv. I am also wondering about how well the dish anywhere app works. I travel a lot and take a fire-stick with me. Can I watch live tv through the Dish Anywhere and my family back home still be able to watch tv? Would I need the Hopper 3 or Hopper with Sling? I would the America's 240+ package. I was wondering what the true cost of a setup like i am wanting. I would need my local channels added in and I would need one wireless Joey and a wireless 4k Joey if they have such a thing. I am also a Healthcare provider and I was wondering if any of you have used the promotions for that and how it works. Sorry for so many questions but I would rather ask real people for real experiences first. Thanks

Hello all. I was a directtv subscriber for a many years until AT&T came along and it didn't take long for me to cancel my subscription. For the past year I have had Youtube TV and Philo which isn't a bad combo. A couple of things annoy me with streaming though. One is having to switch between apps to browse all of the channels ( which is a minor annoyance) and the fact that the prices are getting almost as high as cable/satellite and you are getting less of a user friendly interface. I miss a real guide and dvr. I need so recommendations. I need a setup of 2 or 3 tvs in the house. I would like to be able to record more than 2 shows at a time and still watch live tv. I am also wondering about how well the dish anywhere app works. I travel a lot and take a fire-stick with me. Can I watch live tv through the Dish Anywhere and my family back home still be able to watch tv? Would I need the Hopper 3 or Hopper with Sling? I would the America's 240+ package. I was wondering what the true cost of a setup like i am wanting. I would need my local channels added in and I would need one wireless Joey and a wireless 4k Joey if they have such a thing. I am also a Healthcare provider and I was wondering if any of you have used the promotions for that and how it works. Sorry for so many questions but I would rather ask real people for real experiences first. Thanks
You'll get a Hopper 3 with 1 or 2 Joeys. With 3 TV's you can have all three on watching three different things and still record 13 programs, as Hopper 3 is a 16 Tuner Receiver. There is no Wireless 4K Joey and the 4K Joey they DO have does not have HDR. Plus, there's very little 4K Programming, still, anyway. The Firestick will let you use DA - which uses a tuner and you basically have a "remote Joey" where you can watch and record live TV, set future recordings, and watch On-Demand. Local channels are included for $12.00 (Yes DTV charged you also, just hid the cost in their overall package price). You can get an OTA Antenna, scan the locals into the Hopper and drop the locals through dish and save that $12 bucks. Your Price is locked for 2 years.

You'd want the Top 250 for programming but you can see the different packages on the website. Use mydish.com and create a user name and password. You'll need it anyway. The rest you'll want to ask when you talk to Dish

You'll get a Hopper 3 with 1 or 2 Joeys. With 3 TV's you can have all three on watching three different things and still record 13 programs, as Hopper 3 is a 16 Tuner Receiver. There is no Wireless 4K Joey and the 4K Joey they DO have does not have HDR. Plus, there's very little 4K Programming, still, anyway. The Firestick will let you use DA - which uses a tuner and you basically have a "remote Joey" where you can watch and record live TV, set future recordings, and watch On-Demand. Local channels are included for $12.00 (Yes DTV charged you also, just hid the cost in their overall package price). You can get an OTA Antenna, scan the locals into the Hopper and drop the locals through dish and save that $12 bucks. Your Price is locked for 2 years.

You'd want the Top 250 for programming but you can see the different packages on the website. Use mydish.com and create a user name and password. You'll need it anyway. The rest you'll want to ask when you talk to Dish

Thank you. Do you have any experience with the Dish Anywhere App? Is it reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Thank you. Do you have any experience with the Dish Anywhere App? Is it reliable?

On Firestick, PC, and Android?? Absolutely - just use the Firestick 4K - not the 1st generation Firestick. On iOS - rarely. The current version is broken, but I travel frequently and I use the Firestick on the road for Dish Anywhere with no problems - even to watch live TV

On Firestick, PC, and Android?? Absolutely - just use the Firestick 4K - not the 1st generation Firestick. On iOS - rarely. The current version is broken, but I travel frequently and I use the Firestick on the road for Dish Anywhere with no problems - even to watch live TV

Yes, I would be using a firestick. So it has like the live channel guide and everything? If it does, that would be awesome.

Yes, I would be using a firestick. So it has like the live channel guide and everything? If it does, that would be awesome.

Yes, DA has a live channel guide, and when you're home the DA app on your phone can even be used as another remote control for your Hopper.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
I have 4 1st generation FireTV Sticks and they're not bad on DA either.

Really? Mine is just constantly lagged all the time. Of course I never went in an optimized some of the settings on my fire stick until after the last time I used Dish Anywhere on it. Those made that fire stick better in general so probably would’ve been better for DA also. But on the 4K, it’s just smooth as butter

Thanks for all the information. I was worried about the dishanywhere app but it sounds like most of you are ok with it

Reactions: HipKat

Dish Anywhere App for me has been reliable on Andoid for quite a long time now. However, it is ONE DA Viewer at any ONE time as far as LIVE TV and remote "LIVE" viewing of the DVR content . You can transfer any--and I mean ANY--of your DVR content to the mobile device, and then not use an internet connection (leaving others to view LIVE TV or LIVE from DVR content) without an internet connection.

Keep in mind DA as far as live TV and DVR is only going to be as good as you internet UPstream, so something like only 3Mbps like with DSL can be challenging, but upstream faster than that should provide good to excellent PQ and results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)