Thinking to get DISH but confused!

Maestro

Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I presently have cable service and am thinking about getting DISH because of the large amount of HD channels they have available.
First of all what is the recommended/cost effective equipment needed for 3 rooms with one HD TV and two SD TV's? Does the HD unit support 1080p? Is the equipment very reliable, including its software?
What is the advantage of signing up under "no commitment"? (It looks like "commitment" locks one into a firm 18month contract with only a $49 installation charge rebate.) I assume that the equipment provided comes with a one year mfr's warranty.
Can one send back the receivers at any time to cancel the service & then sign up at a later date, or is there a "waiting period" between "contracts"?
After reading a number of posts on this board, I'm concerned that the DISH CSR's are not very knowledgeable and/or might not recommend the lowest cost solution, so I'd appreciate any advice you experienced DISH users can provide.
I am also confused as to what "additional fees" can be added on to the monthly bill.

first, three rooms, you want a 622 and a 311 with a commitment. I believe that without a commitment you must purchase the receivers. So w/o a commitment the most cost effective way would be a 211 and 322.

I presently have cable service and am thinking about getting DISH because of the large amount of HD channels they have available.
First of all what is the recommended/cost effective equipment needed for 3 rooms with one HD TV and two SD TV's? Does the HD unit support 1080p? Is the equipment very reliable, including its software?
What is the advantage of signing up under "no commitment"? (It looks like "commitment" locks one into a firm 18month contract with only a $49 installation charge rebate.) I assume that the equipment provided comes with a one year mfr's warranty.
Can one send back the receivers at any time to cancel the service & then sign up at a later date, or is there a "waiting period" between "contracts"?
After reading a number of posts on this board, I'm concerned that the DISH CSR's are not very knowledgeable and/or might not recommend the lowest cost solution, so I'd appreciate any advice you experienced DISH users can provide.
I am also confused as to what "additional fees" can be added on to the monthly bill.

additional fees will be for HD, DVR if you get one, locals if you get them, a phone charge if not hooked up on dual tuner, that's about it

Technical question

Thanks for the advice/clarifications fellows. Do you find that DISH dispatched installers are willing to work with new customers as to location of antenna, wiring run, etc?
I have seen on threads mention of installer provided? equipment called a diplexer. I assume this allows builder pre-installed RG6 cable to carry signals from a dual tuner receiver to other TV's in the house.
Would it be feasable to have just one ViP622 (DVR) receiver at the HDTV location, and using its separate SD tuner, split via diplexers the SD to two other rooms? I understand this would mean both SD sets would be fed the same channel at any given time.
My builder installed an interior RG6 distribution panel fed from outside & from where a single cable is run to each room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)