This guide provider keeps missing my timers!

rapper450

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Ever since Dish switched to the current guide provider I have had problems with the timers set during the previous guide providers time, not all of them failed, but a good number did. Some would record, some would not, even though they'd recorded faithfully in the past. So, I thought I'd re-done all of the old times and the problem was solved. Nope, not so! Still, once in awhile it just doesn't record an episode - and since they're often network shows they do not repeat so I can catch them when re-shown (I'm often three or more weeks behind in a series ... what's a dvr for anyway? so I often don't realize they were missed.) Last week the demon just skipped recording a network newshow. It had recorded it the day before, so what gives?? I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out, just set a new timer for the next and following days, but I did notice that I now have 5, count them 5!, timers for the same show. Yesterday it recorded the show under 2 timers! I had two of the same show in the icons listing. How can this system be so F-ed up? I am not going to mess with my blood pressure by calling Dish and getting lame responses. Is there anything else I can do?

B-t-w: I tend to re-boot my system about once every week or two - to deal with a communication problem the dvr has with my ehd. At least it is easier to reboot the Hopper3 than it was with earlier hoppers.

Reactions: joegr
Ever since Dish switched to the current guide provider I have had problems with the timers set during the previous guide providers time, not all of them failed, but a good number did. Some would record, some would not, even though they'd recorded faithfully in the past. So, I thought I'd re-done all of the old times and the problem was solved. Nope, not so! Still, once in awhile it just doesn't record an episode - and since they're often network shows they do not repeat so I can catch them when re-shown (I'm often three or more weeks behind in a series ... what's a dvr for anyway? so I often don't realize they were missed.) Last week the demon just skipped recording a network newshow. It had recorded it the day before, so what gives?? I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out, just set a new timer for the next and following days, but I did notice that I now have 5, count them 5!, timers for the same show. Yesterday it recorded the show under 2 timers! I had two of the same show in the icons listing. How can this system be so F-ed up? I am not going to mess with my blood pressure by calling Dish and getting lame responses. Is there anything else I can do?

B-t-w: I tend to re-boot my system about once every week or two - to deal with a communication problem the dvr has with my ehd. At least it is easier to reboot the Hopper3 than it was with earlier hoppers.
I have a timer for Monster Jam for my son. It is on FS1/2. It never records because there is no description of the show and it never shows it is new. I have multiple timers set to record new and old, but it never records. Very frustrating

I haven't checked, but I wonder if thee episodes of Gold Rush I miss are the ones where the Description is generic and says something to the effect of A Father takes his son to Alaska to mine for Gold..." and the ones that DO record are the ones with actual episode descriptions

Reactions: pattykay
Can you set manual timers? i.e.- every Tuesday at 4:55 pm to 6:05 pm?

I haven't checked, but I wonder if thee episodes of Gold Rush I miss are the ones where the Description is generic and says something to the effect of A Father takes his son to Alaska to mine for Gold..." and the ones that DO record are the ones with actual episode descriptions

I noticed the guide info for Gold Rush changed a couple times to "The Gold Rush". Fortunately, I caught it and added a timer for "The Gold Rush". I now have timers for both "Gold Rush" and "The Gold Rush" and haven't missed anything.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
The old guide had details for our local (state wide) PBS shows. The current provider just puts in generic descriptions for every episode. When I realized I was missing them, I set the timer to record all, not just new. That didn't work either, because it thought every airing was the same episode that it had already recorded. I set it to a weekly timer instead. That worked for about a month and stopped. It took me another month to realize this. I set a new weekly timer. I wonder how long it will work?

My 722 records shows by title name regardless if the info is present or not. Now if I have a Dish Pass timer looking for keywords in the description, then obviously that would not work.

I was watching a movie Sunday morning that contained full frontal nudity (several times) and the guide showed "L, SC". Later that day, was trying to find out what a movie was about and the guide said, "adaptation of [a book]". I've started taking pics of all the screw ups.

I noticed the guide info for Gold Rush changed a couple times to "The Gold Rush". Fortunately, I caught it and added a timer for "The Gold Rush". I now have timers for both "Gold Rush" and "The Gold Rush" and haven't missed anything.

I’ll have to do that

My 722 records shows by title name regardless if the info is present or not. Now if I have a Dish Pass timer looking for keywords in the description, then obviously that would not work.

Very sadly, the H3 does not really have this. I miss it very much (had 722Ks before).

Reactions: navychop
This has been very frustrating experience with the Hopper3. I previously had the 722 and it never missed an episode, but, there was a different guide provider back then (over 6 mos. ago). Setting the timer for Monday through Friday, rather than everyday, does not seem to resolve the problem I mentioned initially (having created 5 timers for the same show, when it skipped some then started recording two times using two different timers for "everyday".) I cannot find any common "errors" so I can adjust my timers properly. It seems there are a lot of buggy things in this Hopper3 software. :(:(:(

And don't even try sorting Gold Rush by episode number, because that is a complete mess. Some episodes have the correct number and others don't have any number at all. How is this still going on?

Reactions: HipKat
And don't even try sorting Gold Rush by episode number, because that is a complete mess. Some episodes have the correct number and others don't have any number at all. How is this still going on?
Gold Rush: White Water has recorded the same episode 3 weeks in a row and every week shows it as first aired that day... I don't even know if there have been new ones or not.

Also, After Waco was supposed to have a 6 episode special on On Demand, 4 episodes in, only week 2 is available