This just in... Enhanced Definition Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A few week ago, you might remember me posting some of my feelings and information I knew about some of Dish Networks upcoming HD additions.

You might recall that I mentioned that a few channels would be "Enhanced Definition" channels.

Today I have learned that instead of calling them Enhanced Definition the channels will be named as follows.

USA Widescreen
Sci-Fi Widescreen

I am also receiving word that a special NBC HD feed could also be coming to Dish, but what I am told is it is NOT a clone of the NBC Network.

As always you read it here first on SatelliteGuys.US (Sorry Bill) :D More information as I have it!

This leads me to 2 questions,
What location will they be broadcast from (105/110/119)?
Will you need a 6000/811 or 921 to view these channels or will a SD recevier be good enough?

Thanks,
Bill

The information I have is that they will be made available with the HD channels on 105 along with several other HD/widescreen (read higher picture quality) channels in the next 30 to 45 days and you WILL need the 6000/811 or 921.

I know that NBC is very excited to bring a lot of these to us and have a great relationship with DISH Network, now. Remember that NBC will soon own USA and Sci-Fi.

I expect the HD Pak to include at least 10 channels by Dec. 1 or at the latest by the end of December. DISH will also have the two new HD channels (Starz! HD and TMCHD).

While my source is not from DISH, they have been in many meetings on offering their services on DISH and they were not the only program provider at these meetings.

So I take it these enhanced channels will be 480p Widescreen? Perhaps DD5.1 also? That would be cool. The trouble is that Sci-Fi is so plagued with commericals that I'm not sure I'd watch it.

Still, the more the merrier.

I bet that this NBC channel is really just a re-tasked Bravo-HD.

Maybe they are going to have it as NBC HD instead of Bravo HD. If NBC HD is not going to be a clone of NBC then what kind of programming will it contain? Would it still be a lot of the hit shows that they have and then perhaps some added content on top of that?

This would be a good solution to offering the networks in HD if each network would offer an HD channel to tune to and then have the local news be in standard format to save all of that satellite space.

Will we get the NFL HD channel ?

http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?SubMatter=Traditional&newsID=221570

ROLLTIDE said:
Will we get the NFL HD channel ?

http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?SubMatter=Traditional&newsID=221570

No that is DirecTV only due to the Sunday Ticket Exclusive.

This will be great if it all comes to pass. Are we finally getting to the place where folks will start to make the jump due to HD/ED programming becoming available? :D

Cyclone said:
The trouble is that Sci-Fi is so plagued with commericals that I'm not sure I'd watch it.
I timed Sci-Fi one night commercial breaks 6 minutes long (make one wonder where they find time for the actual program)

n0qcu said:
Cyclone said:
The trouble is that Sci-Fi is so plagued with commericals that I'm not sure I'd watch it.
I timed Sci-Fi one night commercial breaks 6 minutes long (make one wonder where they find time for the actual program)

How to solve problem:
1. Get 921
2. Use 720p or 1080i output
3. DVR commercial skip!!!!!!!!

Done.

Robert :D

I wonder if this special feed of NBC in hd is away around the current Shiva rules? You know like a premium service you sub to so they don't need the affiliate channels across the country.

I remember suggesting this a little while back for all the networks: make them premium subscription channels. This might be the way to get hd networks without the hassle of trying to uplink all 210 dmas again in hd. Of course they wouldn't have any local content ,but who cares as long as it is network shows in hd. :D

That is what I am thinking and would be a great solution to the problem of providing network HD channels to the whole U.S. while still being able to have your local news in standard definition saving as much bandwidth as possible. This is also a way for the network channels to create some extra revenue.

If this channel is going to have different content than the standard def. NBC channel then this will not resolve this problem for those that want the content that NBC has currently.

Jerry G said:
Cyclone said:
I bet that this NBC channel is really just a re-tasked Bravo-HD.

Basis for assumption? If it's going to be so similar to Bravo HD, why have both?

Exactly. It appeared that Bravo-HD was always going to be NBC's Cable/Satellite HD outlet. Considering that the NBC brand is better known than Bravo is, I'd see a NBC-HD lining up with its siblings.

MSNBC
CNBC
CNBCWorld
Shop NBC

Plenty of room for more Peacock logos. Since it isn't being carried yet (to my knowledge) by anyone, its not too late to rename/rebrand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)