ThisTV OTA "Digital Service"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AZChris

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
hell
The local Tucson station just added the nationally-broadcast digital subchannel "ThisTv" and it's showing up as "digital service" in the guide. I called tech support and they claim they can't add guide data for a channel they don't carry. Does anyone out there have guide data on their locals for "ThisTv"? BTW, I do subscribe to Tucson locals through DISH.

Same issue in Mobile, "Digital Service" for the five subchannels of TBN here which are not included in the Dish locals.

Its all in trying to get the EPG folks to snag the channel. If I remember correctly if the channel was not listed on TitanTV then it wasn't on the EPG. I've tried and tried with Dish support and they can't seem to understand what I'm saying.

My THISTV shows up fine on my 722's guide. But for another channel's subchannel does not show. And recently 2 analog channels flash cut to digital, but TitanTV still lists them as analog, so of course they are not on Dish's EPG. I've even tried to get TitanTV to correct the listings. Everyone says they are working on it but nothing ever happens so I gave up.

I don't get subchannel information for ThisTV in Los Angeles (5.2) either. However, there *are* guide listings for it on TitanTV.

So what step do I take next to try to get Dish to add the listings?

The two times we had problems with the guide listings not mapping currently to the ota channels, I emailed the dishquality email link and received a reply that they would forward it to the current dept and within a week to 10 days it was corrected.

Some of you might recall I brought a very similar issue up last September.

See here.

As you can see in that thread, call your stations programming department and explain that your Dish receiver incorporates OTA signals right into your on screen guide provided by Tribune Media. The station then contacts Tribune and the problem gets solved.

First, as another poster stated, no ThisTV listings on KTLA 5.2 Los Angeles.

However, the last several weeks Dish has added a lot of guide date to a lot of digital sub-channels, so they seem to be addressing this issue.

Meanwhile, my TiVo Series 3, that also gets its guide data from Tribune exactly the same as Dish, provided guide data on ThisTV 5.2 KTLA since the 2nd week it was lit way back in 2009. The question is this: If TiVo, also using Tribune, can provide guide data for almost all the OTA sub-channels, why doesn't Dish? Obviously Tribune has the data, why isn't Dish passing it along?

For each OTA channel that doesn't correspond directly to a channel Dish is carrying (for example a -2 or -3 where Dish only carries the -1), They have to create and uplink a virtual channel which is basically a placeholder with no picture or audio but only guide information. This virtual channel is added to the appropriate spotbeam(s) where the rest of the local market lives.

Obviously it's a time consuming process and they are likely to miss some until people make them aware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts