Those of you who have switched from Dish to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You're an oddity in this regard... not many people have 3 HD TVs.. hell most people dont have 1. Their model probably is, if you can afford 3 HDTV's then you probably can afford the additional equipment.

3 HDTVs is hardly top hat and monocle territory anymore. If you include monitors with HDCP support, neither is 4 or 5.

And the E* solution isn't for people that don't have coax run from the E* STB to the 2nd room. BTW, you can use powerline adapters that D* sells, don't need cat 6. Cat 5 also works and on the latest CE D* added support for a Linksys wireless adapter.

Do you mean USB wireless adapters are supported now? I know wireless bridges (i.e. game adapters) have worked since the first public CE beta of DirecTV On Demand because I'm using one. :)

If you're not using Video on Demand you don't need an internet connection (BTW E* has the same requirement for their VoD service).

Yea, as I said most folks aren't wired with cat5/6 to each room from a central spot. That's the same as most folks don't have a coax run from their living room to their bed room so they can use the TV2 solution either. At least with D*'s MVR solution you can use wireless or their powerline adapters if you don't have a wired network in place already.

And as I mentioned, you'll be able to watch HD content in HD on the other sets, E*'s solution can't do that. As HDTV's end up in more and more rooms (I have 4 at the moment) people are going to watch to watch content in HD, not SD.

Do the boxes have built in wireless cards? What is a powerline adapter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)