Those Who Have Switched From DTV to Dish: Any Regrets?

Captain Spaulding

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio Area
I've been a DirecTV subscriber for many, many years. I'm considering switching to Dish, mostly for the additional HD channels available. The new 622 HD DVR looks really nice, as well. I'm wondering if others out there who have made the switch have any regrets, or are happy with the change. I guess I'm looking for a reason not to do it.
Comments anyone? Thanks!

all4jo said:
my regret is losing tivo. dish dvr software stinks.
That's opinions i guess. My son has direct and the very reason I stay with dish is I can't stand the tivo interface. Maybe you just have to understand how to work the dish DVR. Even my son wishes his tivo worked like the dish.

I switched back in 2000. I have always enjoyed the service. Now the customer services reps have been at times a pain. I have friends who have the DTV tivo system and have problems all the time with it. I started with dish with the old Dishplayer/webtv model and still have it.

I have a Dish 322 with a SA Tivo 1. The Tivo has lived through cable (awful service), DirecTV (expensive for what I got), and a post boom Voom box for OTA.

The Dish 322 has a few quirks I had to get used to, but after I hammered it out, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

I may be cheap, but the dual tuner for no extra charge is awesome. Two TV's, Tivo and Dish service on both units is very nice!

I got spoiled by the Voom box, the PQ on the Dish is a little "muddy", then again, DirecTV was a little "grainy" or "blocky".

all4jo said:
my regret is losing tivo. dish dvr software stinks.
Definitely personal opinion. 9 years with D* total and no regrets. Moved over from 3 sd tivos and 1 hd tivo to the 622 and 625 on 2/17/06. The 622 is just awesome!

I just switched over at the end of February. The additional HD is great, but the
SD picture, for me, is a bit softer than Direct. The OTA tuner in my 211 is better
than the built in one in my RCA F38310! I can now pick up PBS well and swiching
between sat and OTA is no longer a pain!

Dave

I've been a Dish customer since Nov. 97. I currently have a 501 PVR. Before that I had a 4000. I don't have experience with DTV, but here are what I think are the pros and cons of Dish:

Pros:
1) I like the interface and the PVR features. Most functions can be accessed quickly.

2) Service outages are very rare. I cant remember the last one, it was so long ago.

3) I have never had a receiver hardware problem, so there hasn't been any down time in 9 years.

Cons:
1) I am not happy with the picture quality. It often looks blocky and pixelated, especially when the picture has large areas of low contrast. I think this is an artifact caused by excessive video compression.

2) Since 1997 the customer service has gradually gone from good to unacceptable. I called yesterday simply to ask if my new 622 has shipped. The first try was a bad connection. Second try the lady hung up on me without explanation. On the third try the guy had me call a number with an automated recording that didn't answer my question. The 4th try I got someone in India who I could barely understand. He said my order has not shipped. Since my install date is so close I figured they would be rescheduling it a month from now. So I told him to cancel my order for the 622!

3) The software is very buggy. You would think that after several years the 501 software would be perfect. However, it still "forgets" to record sometimes. And also many times it stops responding to the the remote control for a minute or two.

brettbolt said:
3) The software is very buggy. You would think that after several years the 501 software would be perfect. However, it still "forgets" to record sometimes. And also many times it stops responding to the the remote control for a minute or two.
Perhaps the hardware is the culpret. I have the 508 (which is the 501 with a larger Hard Drive), and it has, for the most part, operated flawlessly. My machine has never missed a recording for me.:)

Well, I have never had D* - I've been with E* since 1999 and I think it's the best deal out there. They are not always first with everything - old Charlie is a hard-headed businessman that will not overpay for programming. The end result is that E* usually gives you a bit more programming for a little less $, IMHO. BTW, we love our 942 and are looking forward to getting a 622 in April.

--Doug

"The end result is that E* usually gives you a bit more programming for a little less $, IMHO."

You can say that again. Everytime I get pissed off at E*, I look at my other choices (Comcast and DirecTV) and E* is the best deal in town. Less money, better packages. I would have to pay more and get less if I go with either competitor.

I had DirecTV before for 6 months while living in an apartment, I couldn't stand the receiver's menu, and the picture quality was not as good as E*. I setup my own E* dish in the balcony and cancelled D*.

I got to admit though, that the Customer Service has gone down. The CSRs have no idea of what's going on, you call 10 times and you get 10 different answers.

I don't think that CSRs will ever be at the level of quality that you expect after being a regular on this forum. We are just so tuned into the "lastest" about Dish here, that a 9 - 5 CSR will never be able to muster up enough enthusiasm to match.

My neighbor switched to Dish, no regrets, been 2 years now. Picture on E is better, HD more of it and higher quality picture. I had a 510 DVR, it hummed along for years. I had a 921, it was not too bad, probably had to reboot 6 times in a year. The Dish DVR is pretty darn nice, don't like Tivo at all.

Customer service totally sucks, but that seems to be the norm these days with these type of campanies, cable here also sucks in customer service, unless you drive to the office, then you can get something done.

Captain Spaulding - You might want to try a little experiment: Reverse D* and E* in your question and post it to the DTV forum - see what response you get that way! You're going to find loyal and very frustrated customers either way.

I've been reading these forums for only a few weeks now but I think I can summarize as below. These are only 1 man's observations/opinions but I hope I'm fairly objective here. (I guess most of this would be more valuable to someone who has never had either service.)

1) The two companies run neck-and-neck in a very competitive marketplace. Right now E* might have a slight edge with their just released MPEG-4 equipment and programming upgrades, but no-doubt D* will catch up and perhaps surpass for a time, and so on. I don't think either company will throw in the towel or fold-up anytime soon!

2) Currently E* has more HD content available (OK - much of it, on both services, is "HDLite") but that is expected to equalize. What do you want from HD? I can't see where either company has an advantage on pricing. I comes down to what you want to watch; figure that our first then compare.

3) The "quality" of programming (in terms of both content and PQ) is a wildcard that I haven't been able to quantify. This should all be driven ultimately by market demand but there is too much churn right now in both services to speculate where it will settle-out. Maybe it never will! Coin-toss here!

4) Equipment is what it is. Each customer has his preferences. I don't see where either company has a clear long-term advantage. The quirks with newly-released equipment will always be an unintended consequence of "first-to-market", but mostly solved with software upgrades in the short time following availability. As equipment becomes more complex, this situation will only get "worse", but how is that different in any other technolgy-intensive field? I think long-term reliability is about the same either way. What do you expect from your equipment? Factor that into your decision. Lease vs. buy is another wildcard. IMHO, with the ever-increasing technology changes leasing might really be the better choice, and there doesn't seem to be any monthly price advantage to ownership any longer with either sat. service, i.e., there is no quick payback for ownership. (CableCos seem to have an advantage here right now.)

5) Customer service and installation competency seem to be on the decline, perhaps more so at E*. I don't mean to cast any aspersions to the great installers who are part of these forums; I sense their frustration in how the new business models have degraded their ability to do their best jobs. This is all competition driven and will not likely change any time soon. I think the best plan is to try to establish a relationship with a local installer (preferrably one who will offer either service) and stay with them through your long-term experience and upgrades, etc. That gives you the best shot at a high-quality installation and quick service when needed. Ask a LOT of questions and do what you can yourself.

6) Many customers are recognizing the increasing competition from cable and that's not to be overlooked if you have that option!

All that said - I have had E* since '98 with basically no complaints. Cable has never been available to me in my current location and at the time I decided to go sat. it seemed that E* was a bit ahead of D*. It was only about $30/mo. when I started with a basic 40-channel package, no locals, and 2 sets. I've gradually migrated to HD on one of 3 sets and some additional programming for about $70 per month. I have never had any equipment issues. Service has only been interrupted by Mother Nature and that is infrequent. Every technical question I've called-in has been handled quickly, completely, and correctly in the first call, and I have never had any customer service issues. My recent upgrade to HD via the 811 was fast, competent, and correct. The installer (running several hours behind, but he showed-up nonetheless and did the installation after dark) was clearly overworked, but he still did a quality job and didn't leave until everything was working to my satisfaction and all my questions were answered.

My situation is surely not unique. I'll bet you'll find the majority of customers on either side are "satisfied" with service, equipment, installation, and support - but that's rarely reported. We see only the horror stories, in graphic detail, which are are abundant and seem to be relatively balanced between E* and D*.

I have decided to wait a bit for my upgrade to MPEG-4 to see how it sorts out. Right now, given the limited time I have to watch TV, I'm still in my "honeymoon" period with the 16 HD channels I get now and having a lot of fun with just those. I don't have a leaning for HD recording yet, at least not until the networks are readily available to me in HD. (Looking at my years-old stack of unwatched videotapes reminds me that I wouldn't have time to watch what I record anyway!)

To the rest - have I misrepresented anything here?

As the Templar knight said to Indiana Jones..."You must choose wisely!"

But I don't think you'd be making a big mistake either way...