thoughts on projection TV

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Ok, I have had a projection TV now for 3 months of serious TV watching. I have 2 residences at the moment (work 1/2 in one town 1/2 in another atm). One I have a 92" 720p (small by projection I know) and the other one I have a Pioneer Kuro 50" display.

The 50" is now way too small. I am trying to think of ways I can get a projector into my first house.

The Kuro has far better blacks and colors.... But it is tiny at 50" now.

I would hate to see what the JVC $7k projectors can produce.

I find myself saving programs to watch at my projector residence, even watching a show again just to see it so much bigger.

SD is really bad on a projector, but now with so many HD channels it is becoming practical to have a projector.

I am sure if they made a 92" Kuro plasma it would be far better than any projector.

I do not care if the projector eats a bulb every year (although I am running mine in 4000 hour mode and average 3-4 hours a night on it half the week, probably last 6 years). I am running it in economy mode, but it is far bright enough with the light controlled room. The big screen is just incredible.

Ok I am a believer in projectors now, I have crossed over completely. Projectors are not cheap though when you factor in the sound system. Although I got my projector on closeout for $800 (3k original MSRP) and paid $300 for my screen, the sound system cost some serious bucks (although I have a more expensive sound system at the plasma house). The whole time I was watching Lost on the projector I was thinking I really need this in my other house. It was fantastic.

I definitely am thinking 1080p projection. The 720p is marginal on so large a screen.

I love my 720p projector, but I wouldn't want it as my only viewing source. We just use it for movies, football games, concerts.

I use my 720p at 106" and use it for movies, any tv shows that I really want to see on the big screen, and sports. My backup set is a 40" sony xbr, and while it feels small, it serves its purpose too.

You might want to look at a Sony VPLVW60 or 70. I find movies much smoother and more realistic on the Sony models, than on the JVC.:D

I have 2 TV rooms. One has a Samsung 52a650 and the other that is a little bigger a Pioneer Elite 151. I really like both TV's but I would trade both for a really good projector setup. Just don't have a room big enough.

Just don't have a room big enough.

I think unless you are in the TINIEST of rooms (less than 12x12); this is a past myth and you can be surprised at what some decent models can do in a "small room". AND if you ever do move or happen into a bigger room a FPTV will GROW with you and you want have to buy a new, bigger "flat panel".

My 720p on my 8 foot screen from 11 feet away looks pretty good to me:

100_0542.jpg

I'm sure when I finally upgrade to 1080p down the road I will love it but I'm still very happy with my 2 year old 720p.

Brett Favre's final season!

I'm thinking about getting a projection tv for my basement. The Room is about 16 x 20 and opens into a larger room. Also there are windows on one wall. Would a projection tv do well in these conditions?

You can black out the windows... there is nothing like watching large screen TV...these are badly taken shots in my 99" Bedroom Theater taken this past weekend...

Attachments

• pj2.JPG
    pj2.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 155
  • Pj5.JPG
    Pj5.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Pj4.JPG
    Pj4.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 165
  • pj6.JPG
    pj6.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Pj7.JPG
    Pj7.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 155
Brett Favre's final season!

I'm thinking about getting a projection tv for my basement. The Room is about 16 x 20 and opens into a larger room. Also there are windows on one wall. Would a projection tv do well in these conditions?

I don't know about projection tv but a projector could probably work great in there.

If you control the lighting to keep it from shining on the screen, you can get great results even though there is an adjoining room and windows.

Here is an example of someone's basement setup where the theater area is not isolated from the rest of the room:

HTWide2960.jpg

Here is my setup being used during the day with a nearly floor to ceiling shade pulled to keep direct light off the screen:

NFLHD-EF06-Ambient.jpg

Right now my 2 -- 720p projectors are my only real viewing choices as my 1080i CRT has had a bad convergence problem show up yesterday... ( I do have a 720p LCD in a camper ;)) curious why you feel the need to go up to 1080p?

I can pretty much see it is not 1080p. 92" at 12.5'. 1080p should be perfect. If I move about 3 feet closer I can clearly see the cell structure (pretty fine, it is DLP, but you can see it).

I can pretty much see it is not 1080p. 92" at 12.5'. 1080p should be perfect. If I move about 3 feet closer I can clearly see the cell structure (pretty fine, it is DLP, but you can see it).

The Sony models, I mention were viewed from 12' on a screen that was 15'+ wide.
No pixels apparent, very smooth.:D

My 720p Hitachi LCD projector (with 92" Draper screen) looks impressive from about 10' away for what it is but without proper light control it washes out easily. It's in the basement though with no windows so that's good but any ambient light seems to wash it out. It gets use is very seldom and only for movies and occasional concert DVDs etc. I actually listen to more music down there than I watch TV.
The upstairs living room set is a 51" Hitachi CRT rear projection and it looks great even with all the blinds up. There are 5 windows facing south and west so it's pretty bright in there.
Can't beat the projector for sheer size and the picture quality is more than ample with a Bell 6100 HD receiver hooked up but I wouldn't consider it for everyday TV watching.

Right now my 2 -- 720p projectors are my only real viewing choices as my 1080i CRT has had a bad convergence problem show up yesterday... ( I do have a 720p LCD in a camper ;)) curious why you feel the need to go up to 1080p?

What sort of convergence issue? Which color? Make and model?

I have fixed many convergence issues in my previous job as a electronics tech. and can probably help you out if you decide to fix it. :)

My 720p Hitachi LCD projector (with 92" Draper screen) looks impressive from about 10' away for what it is but without proper light control it washes out easily. It's in the basement though with no windows so that's good but any ambient light seems to wash it out. It gets use is very seldom and only for movies and occasional concert DVDs etc. I actually listen to more music down there than I watch TV.
The upstairs living room set is a 51" Hitachi CRT rear projection and it looks great even with all the blinds up. There are 5 windows facing south and west so it's pretty bright in there.
Can't beat the projector for sheer size and the picture quality is more than ample with a Bell 6100 HD receiver hooked up but I wouldn't consider it for everyday TV watching.

You have to control the lighting by directing it away from the screen and more lumens from the PJ can also help. The Panasonic AX200u has up to 2,000 lumens to help battle any controlled ambient lighting that might interfere with your image.

The last 2 nights I have been in bed by 7 pm watching my old Mitsubitsi HD1000U on the 99" screen, 3 hours Wednesday and till after 11 last night... watched 3 NCIS's in a row last night and started a fourth, I'm catching up. It is also great for daytime watching as the room is light controlled but not dark...

Tivo HD Media Features ???

Mitsubishi WS-55511 Screen Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)