Thoughts to Ponder:NCAA Tournament Edition

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
1) So the brackets are out. does anything surprise you as far as seeding or matchups go?

2) How do you watch the games? Do you go to a bar, have Direct Tv, dont have Direct Tv but watch the CBS coverage, or do you have March Madness on Demand? Any other way of watching the games?

3) Now on this site the announcer pairings have been announced, who do you like? Who do you dislike?

4) Now we've discussed this, but for other people on this site, do you like the pod system? Do you think it benefits the teams?

5) This is actually something I was reading on the506.com, but do you know some people actually complain because the tourney is on because grandma and grandpa want to watch there judge shows and soap operas. I mean its 2 days out of the year!!!!!

6) When did March Madness become what it is now? I would say the early 90's is when the tourney really started to get big. Now its huge. When you have millions of people who are probably non-college basketball fans, filling out brackets I think your pretty big.

7) What is your favorite NCAA Tourney memory?

1) So the brackets are out. does anything surprise you as far as seeding or matchups go?

Not really except that Arizona shouldn't be in. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Texas A&M and BYU are playing in the 1st round for a 2nd straight year. That's unusual. I picked BYU last year and they lost. Guess who I'm picking this year? Not the Mormons.

2) How do you watch the games? Do you go to a bar, have Direct Tv, dont have Direct Tv but watch the CBS coverage, or do you have March Madness on Demand? Any other way of watching the games?

I get the MMOD. CBS often doesn't show the games I'm interested in and they jump around too much. I like watching a game all the way through.

3) Now on this site the announcer pairings have been announced, who do you like? Who do you dislike?

Most are OK, but I can't stand Gus Johnson. The guy screams over free throws.

4) Now we've discussed this, but for other people on this site, do you like the pod system? Do you think it benefits the teams?

Good system. Reward the top teams, punish dook. No complaints. :D

6) When did March Madness become what it is now? I would say the early 90's is when the tourney really started to get big. Now its huge. When you have millions of people who are probably non-college basketball fans, filling out brackets I think your pretty big.

I'm not sure exactly when it got big, but it was before the 90's. When teams like NC State and Villanova went on cinderella runs and the field expanded to 64 I think people really got into it.

Too many to count, but they involve Carolina's triumphs and dook's failures. Seeing dook lose and some tearful dookie come crying like a baby into Coach K's arms is always a highlight. :D

I picked BYU last year and they lost. Guess who I'm picking this year?

ahc-10067.gif

1) Too many to count, but they involve Carolina's triumphs and dook's failures. Seeing dook lose and some tearful dookie come crying like a baby into Coach K's arms is always a highlight. :D

My favorite ALL TIME college basketball memory is Cincinnati beating #1 ranked Duke in the "Great Alaskan Shootout" in 1998 :D We had a friend that was/is a HUGE duke fan and watching him cry after Levitt dunked that ball was priceless.

Thanks for putting that smile on my face today

Bill

My favorite ALL TIME college basketball memory is Cincinnati beating #1 ranked Duke in the "Great Alaskan Shootout" in 1998 :D We had a friend that was/is a HUGE duke fan and watching him cry after Levitt dunked that ball was priceless.

Thanks for putting that smile on my face today

Bill
That wasn't even half as good as when UConn beat them in the NC that year and then their whole team turned pro. I haven't seen dookies that sad except when the Backstreet Boys broke up. That was a sad day in Durham too. :D

That wasn't even half as good as when UConn beat them in the NC that year and then their whole team turned pro. I haven't seen dookies that sad except when the Backstreet Boys broke up. That was a sad day in Durham too. :D

Being a Cincinnati fan my entire life it was better :) But anytime they lose is a day to celebrate @party

Bill

Typical NCAA. Losing to "big" teams is better than beating "mid-major" teams. Typical 7th place "big" team argument: "look at all the quality teams THAT BEAT US". Umm, I believe those same teams would have beaten Morehead State.

I have DirecTV, but just watch the CBS coverage (local broadcasts a second set of games on .2). Cannot see paying extra for more games.

Could not care less. Have never picked a sporting event to watch over another based on who is announcing.

The pod system is great, but doing stuff like sending Ohio State to Dayton is just wrong.

5) This is actually something I was reading on the506.com, but do you know some people actually complain because the tourney is on because grandma and grandpa want to watch there judge shows and soap operas. I mean its 2 days out of the year!!!!!

Old people. The typical daytime TV audience is composed of the no sweat welfare crowd, the ancient, and stay at home moms, all watching the latest evidence that society will not end with a bang, but with a whimper. I always thought that, with the millions of people who work shifts and so on, that somebody could make money with a channel that aimed for an IQ above 63 during the 9-5 slot.

The tournament got big when it went to 64 and CBS devoted itself to full-time live coverage. In the old days, you got an "NCAA Productions" syndication of local teams and a couple of select games on CBS prime time.

Every Big East loss is a great memory.

During the 1979 championship game featuring Michigan State's Magic Johnson and Indiana State's Larry Bird.

What does it take for a team to go far in the NCAA Tournament?

Is it "Un-American" to not care about WBC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts