thread closing policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepackrat

Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I had posted a thread here;
XXX.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=105632
and Mrtim said in a PM to me that he was going to answer it but that the thread was closed by the time he got to it.

1) What ( or where can I find ) the guidelines for thread closings ?
2) Is there some time limit on the length of time that a thread can stay open ?
3) If so ...what is the time limit ?
4) Was there some OTHER reason that the thread was closed ?
5) If there was some other reason ...what was it ? ( I do NOT want to violate any thread posting rules and if I was violating any ...I would like to know which and how I did so ...so that I can AVOID doing that in the future. )

Thankyou.
TPR

thepackrat said:
I had posted a thread here;
XXX.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=105632
and Mrtim said in a PM to me that he was going to answer it but that the thread was closed by the time he got to it.

1) What ( or where can I find ) the guidelines for thread closings ?
There is no set guidelines. Threads get closed as need be
2) Is there some time limit on the length of time that a thread can stay open ?
nope
3) If so ...what is the time limit ?
there is no time limit
4) Was there some OTHER reason that the thread was closed ?
I'll answer below
5) If there was some other reason ...what was it ? ( I do NOT want to violate any thread posting rules and if I was violating any ...I would like to know which and how I did so ...so that I can AVOID doing that in the future. )

It was closed after the FTA staff talked about it. If you have a specific question for a member (as you did...you asked for Tim @ DMSI AKA MRTim) that should have been resolved with a PM or an e-mail to Tim and not posted in the forum. If you have an issue with a product that DMSI sells (and you are a dealer), then you need to go through DMSI directly. The board really won't help. Also PM is a little more private than the board :)

Main comon reasons threads get closed
-they are hack posts
-they get waaaay off topic
-people attacking other people

The rest are judgement calls (this would classify under that).

Thank you for your fast response !
I was worried it was out of line or something.
I'm NOT a dealer ... but in the course of conducting repairs I often get asked if I KNOW of any reputable places where customers can purchase replacement units or upgrades to present units. Since I'm a picky old so-n-so I won't just spout out some suppliers name without being absolutely sure that my referral is a GOOD one.

My post in the OTHER thread was WAY .... WAY ...beyond the usual asking for help kinda thing ...and I AM in PM contact with MrTim now ...so I want to thank you for your understanding and patience , and allowing me the avenue to contact him.

Thanks

Well ... I DO sell repair services ...but I get enough business from my store front and newspaper adds that I'm NOT " fishing " for customers on the forums ( if thats what you meant )... contacts and networking ..."YES" ... conducting business... "NO" !
lol ...unless of course I buy banner space or sumptin' !!
:-0

Olny if requested by the original poster since the question has been answered. Otherwise it stays open.

BTW, another reason for thread closure is when a thread is opened about a topic already being dicussed in another thread. This one is also a judgement call since sometimes the new thread talks about another issue surrounding the subject.

Tony

That's the beauty of merging threads, which may happen in that case as well.

Just to CLARIFY it a bit ...so that anyone who reads this will NOT missunderstand ...
I was NOT questioning the staffs policy or decisions in ANY way.
** It's THEIR house ...and if they say that I can't put my feet up on the coffie table then , as a guest in their house, I respect that !

I was ONLY trying to wrap MY mind around the thing !
** Sometimes ...I " just don't get it " ...and need to have things explained to me in small, slowly spoken words, before I " get it " !
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)