Thru-the wall room to room 8 inch fan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rickaren

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2004
IN
When building our home I included a Dedicated Home Theater Room that has had major temperature issues from the start. Too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer and adding to these issues is the fact the room faces due west and no protection from the sun or wind facing farmland. Over the years I have done about everything to try and correct at least a seven degree difference from the hall thermostat reading to that room’s real temperature. I doubled the insulation for the whole house a few years ago and installed two powered gable vent fans. Two weeks ago I installed 8 rolls of R-30 nine inch insulation over this room with little results. I have installed reflective window film on all windows and installed custom “Inside” storm windows plus energy efficient bottoms-up cellular blinds. Determined that room had no cold air return when built as all other room do, so ran one to the furnace, but even with the room having a large ceiling fan plus the French doors that are left open all the time, it did not solve any of the issues. I also installed two duct booster fans that did increase air flow but since the room is hotter or cooler than rest of the home it really did not solve my issue.

I happened to run across the Suncourt TW108 Thru-the wall room to room 8 inch fan on Amazon and after reading the reviews bought and installed one. After that install bought and installed another.

So I am now fairly confident that installing the fans may now solve my ongoing issues at least for the winter months since the room temperature has now increased several degrees. Not sure how well they will work in the summer being located high up but the rest of the house is always cooler so they should be helpful. Recommend these fans as a problem solver and a quality product.

Reactions: . Raine and FTA4PA
On my original Post guess I should have included more of why you might be interested in installing this fan in your Home Theater Room or other room. Here is some more info. Wish I had know about this product sooner, myself.

• Circulate Cold or Warm Air From Room to Room!
  • Easily move the heat from a fireplace, or cool air from a window air conditioner, to an adjacent space
  • Great for venting rooms that always seem stuffy or smoky

Product Description

The ThruWall Room to Room Fan balances temperatures in adjoining rooms, quietly and efficiently, for year round comfort. Interior use only - not intended for ventilating moisture from bathroom.Features: Quiet operation 2-Speed switch: 200 CFM on high speed,160 CFM on low speed The ThruWall's telescoping housing installs in frame walls from 3" to 6" thick 10' long grounded cord 12 mo. limited warranty Sones: 3 Wall opening must be cut to approx. 7 5/8" in diameter. Corded side of fan is the output/discharge side. FAQ's: What will the ThruWall fan do for me?The ThruWall fan is designed to move significant volumes of air from one space in a building to the next. Why would I want to move air from one space to another?Similar to the function of the EntreeAir, you may want to move heat from a fireplace to an adjacent space. Similarly, you may want to move cooled air from a window air conditioner to an adjacent space.In other applications:-Move heated or cooled air into a garage from the house.-Move heated or cooled air from one room to another if there is a great difference in temperatures between the two rooms. I.e. one room is nice and warm in the winter. The room next to it, located over an unheated garage is always cold. Simply blow air from the warm to the cold room.-Vent a room that always seems stuffy.-Move air in or out of an All Season room.-Vent a TV or family room with a smoker.-Move air between floors. Which way does the air flow?The air flows towards the side of the fan with the cord/plug.How much air does the ThruWall move?The ThruWall has a powerful 2-speed fan system.On high speed air movement is 200 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM).On low speed air movement is 160 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM).Can I reverse the direction that the air flows?No. You will determine the direction of the airflow when installing the ThruWall. If you would change you mind at a later date, you can re-mount the ThruWall to blow in the other direction.

Hi Rick,

Your post runs counter to the popular opinion of the guys who are serious about theaters. They are all about absolute noise isolation and they often go to extreme measures to get there. Over in the AVS dedicated theater forum they describe building rooms within rooms, double layers of drywall glued together with a special sound deadening "green glue". That sort of thing. Many of them put in dedicated HVAC systems and then add large sound deadening intake and return filters to isolate.

This isn't me BTW. My theater is a curtained off space in a finished basement. I use the curtains so that the space can be opened up for parties or when more need to see the screen, like the Superbowl. Still, noise is somewhat of a concern and I recently installed an exterior door to the furnace room because the furnace was making enough noise to be a concern. I guess I would be worried that these two fans would be loud enough to overpower the subtle parts of the movie's sound.

Well Jayn J I totally disagree with your reply. I designed a home with a Dedicated Home Theater Room. So I'm not serious? I have a raised platform for a second row of all reclining power leather front and rear seating. Seven speaker sound 7.1 and a 75 inch Smart Samsung TV and so on. Not Serious? Give me a break! Yes this is not a 100 K theater but many I feel would find my Post beneficial and may want to check this fan system out. These rooms always run hot with just people in them let alone all the electrical equipment. Wife says she can't believe how quite these fans are. If you have a home theater that has hot or cold temperature issues how enjoyable can that be? By the way the room was totally insulated when built including internal walls and all the windows with special "Inside Storm Windows" (3/4 inch solid plastic panels) eliminate all outside sound as they use them in New York for that reason, where I got the info. They cut a large tree down behind us and we could not even hear it. Yes they used for sound reduction too. Not an issue at all with sound for us. Some complain about their DVRs making noise. For more than five years we had DirecTV and DISH DVRs in this room without any sound issues, at least for us.

Wow, I just brought up what should be a valid concern. One might be led to think that you have some sort of financial interest in this product.

Best of luck with your theater. I never said you weren't serious.

UPDATE

Well I suspect that most that have built an Dedicated Home Theater Room or just a TV viewing room have not experienced my issue of having a room cooler in the Winter AND hotter in the Summer ,than rest of your home.

All of us agree I suspect, that just having rope lighting, sconces, A/V receivers, DVRs, external hard drives, and let alone just people in that room really heats it up in warm weather. I have had to add fans in equipment closets, under DVRs and A/V receivers in the past just to solve equipment failures.

After all my modifications over the years with this home theater I seem to have found what I did wrong in building it! I had the builder insulate the one interior wall for sound control. I have just added another fan at the rear (total of 3) blowing from my Home Office. For the first time my Home Theater Room now “breathes “and has become more of part of the rest of the home, temperature wise.

Not a noise issue for us or the rest of the family visiting over the Holidays, and they are running on high 24/7. Guess if it was they could be turned on low or even off movie watching.

So come this summer you might want to check back in for another update, but I suspect installing these fans will make a noticeable improvement with my issues, then too. Much easier and lower cost than installing a zone heating/cooling modification, but that could be my last and only resolve. Hopefully that will not be required.

UPDATE

Well I suspect that most that have built an Dedicated Home Theater Room or just a TV viewing room have not experienced my issue of having a room cooler in the Winter AND hotter in the Summer ,than rest of your home.

All of us agree I suspect, that just having rope lighting, sconces, A/V receivers, DVRs, external hard drives, and let alone just people in that room really heats it up in warm weather. I have had to add fans in equipment closets, under DVRs and A/V receivers in the past just to solve equipment failures.

After all my modifications over the years with this home theater I seem to have found what I did wrong in building it! I had the builder insulate the one interior wall for sound control. I have just added another fan at the rear (total of 3) blowing from my Home Office. For the first time my Home Theater Room now “breathes “and has become more of part of the rest of the home, temperature wise.

Not a noise issue for us or the rest of the family visiting over the Holidays, and they are running on high 24/7. Guess if it was they could be turned on low or even off movie watching.

So come this summer you might want to check back in for another update, but I suspect installing these fans will make a noticeable improvement with my issues, then too. Much easier and lower cost than installing a zone heating/cooling modification, but that could be my last and only resolve. Hopefully that will not be required.
I had a similar problem.. I have a coal burning stove in my fireplace downstairs where the dedicated TV " theater room" resides... The problem was air circulation to the rest of the house.. Just the other day I installed the exact same true wall fan. On high speed its as quiet as a computer fan and has helped significantly in getting the 80 -85 degree air upstairs. I heat the whole 2000 f house with the coal stove. If your a PUB member you can see my dedicated TV Theater room I'm building in the PIT. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3610304/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts