This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Thunderbolt Gingerbread finally released!

The way I see this is there are two conditions successful hackers achieve satisfaction- 1. They don't have a real need to have a working phone and are willing to trade that reliability for the risk of a failed device for periods of time it takes to debug and fix it. 2. They experiment on a second phone because the risk of hacking their only phone is too costly.
I have Verizon service for one reason and it certainly isn't cost. It's because it is the most reliable and I have tested them all. The dumbest thing I could do is to waste that reliable asset in my phone with using a hacked device that doesn't work properly. Hall, I'm not you and I don't have the time nor the energy to play with my phone like a science experiment. It's not about how many times Verizon pushes an update but rather it's having to spend a half day testing only to discover that I've been lied to and the hack does require all sorts of patches, updates and excuses for why other features don't work. And if you think I am about to fall for the claim that Only Android has never had any flaws, ha! I can read these forums and I see myself as one of those who discover an issue rather than one who claims they never have a problem. For me it isn't a hobby, It's a risk-reward ratio and so far all I read are little reward and great risk.
So, no thankyou, I won't be hacking my phone.

So now that that is settled, we haven't even talked about how reliable 3rd party wifi apps are. Before I had my Thunderbolt, I had several wifi apps on my prior phone. These 3rd party apps were always giving me problems with little flaws like dropped connections of failure to connect until I rebooted the phone plus excessive heat. The current Verizon wifi app is extremely reliable. I'd pay them $75 for it one time but the monthly charge is what annoys me. So, in this case the only issue for me is cost.

That simply was NOT my experience on Verizon motorola droids (OG and DX). I was simply providing my answer to your question - which of course was to Don.

In the early days of Droid I didn't mind these issues, as I was just excited to have escaped from the horror that was Windows Mobile 6 and needed more than the limited interface that the Palm Treo had provided me initially. But over time, it wore on me, and I just did not have it in me to continue to deal with the hassles I described above.

Trying to explain things to you is like talking to a brick wall. Or you pick and choose the points you want to hear....

For your assumptions, errr "conditions", 1) I've probably spent (2) hours total in the MONTHS of owning this phone doing what you will want to call "debugging" and "fixing" it. Fact is, it involves nothing more than flashing the ROM in recovery. Hell, (2) hours is probably a lot more than actually in it. 2) I only have (1) phone. It works, 100% that I know of .... I have NOT ran into anything that doesn't work. Earlier you tried to pick on a ROM that had broken VM notifications while conveniently ignoring the fact that the stock, official ROM from Verizon had it broken too. Want it fixed ? Couldn't do it on the official ROM. You had to have root.

There are broken or poorly-done ROMs out there. I am not stupid enough to deny that. I just don't use them. Hell, "developers" put out ROMs that don't have working WiFi !! Sorry, not for me.... Put it this way, my wife and I both had ERIS phones previously and currently have TBOLTS. I've rooted hers as well and installed reliable ROMs and she never knew anything was different. What she could do though that others with the same phone couldn't do is, ummm, WiFi tether. The kids love that when they have their iPods in the car with her.

That said, I have no experience with WiFi tether options other than this one, android-wifi-tether

That simply was NOT my experience on Verizon motorola droids (OG and DX).
There's a reason I avoid Motorola phones...

I'm not making anything up either with my experience with Android (I'm not an Android fanboy either ... as I type this on a MAC and have multiple Apple devices at home). I will never insist to someone that they root their phone or jailbreak their Apple device. If they ask for an option on something and rooting or JB'ing will "help", I'll suggest that. But when assumptions are made, often wrong ones too, I'll give a rebuttal.

maybe its a moto droid / verizon combo issue. i don't know but for sure i'm going to stay away from both. no offense....

I did not say you were. I was just providing my experiences. That was all.

AND it is pretty obvious that carrier and hardware make a huge difference in the experience. And the rom you use. In my days I was using jrummy and Pete's stuff. My DX on Gingerbread had a fairly close to stock rooted version by Pete.

One who has never experienced the trouble is an easy teach. Unfortunately, this brick wall has lots of graffiti painted all over so I'm a hard to sell skeptic. Not cynical, just a skeptic.
Hope you understand.

Now you did say the magic words- you are speaking from Thunderbolt experience and have experience with a trouble free wifi app. I can look up the specs later on the app you have put your name to.

So let me review-
When conditions change I am open to changing my mind, OK?

1. You have a hack process that is rather trouble free for the thunderbolt.
That is:

A. Join the "Team forum" in the link you supplied and download and app, the referenced root that keeps your stock ROM from Verizon.
Here's one example: [GB][2.11.605.3]Debloat, Stock, Rooted (I would expect a new version based on 2.11.605.5 very soon, but for your reference, this will suffice)
You have personally tested and verified this root on the thunderbolt. As I understand, this will allow me to proceed to the next step and will not affect the normal function of the Thunderbolt. I'm not sure whether this can be messed up by verizon or is the Verizon updates blocked? (with this referenced root process)
B. The next step is to add the wifi app you recommended.
That said, I have no experience with WiFi tether options other than this one, android-wifi-tether

2. Other questions-
A. Does the process stop Verizon from doing automatic push updates?
B. If I find this not to my liking, can I uninstall it back to factory last known good stock?
C. Does this work with the new Gingerbread Android they are trying to push on us now?
D. I understand the warranty is voided, but I suppose if I had trouble, The phone is good as accidentally being run over and smashed, right?

I'll respond in more detail later. First, do me a favor....

Tap MENU, Settings, Software Update

Is there a checkbox for allowing or not allowing s/w updates ? What do you think would happen if that were un-checked ?

"Nope" to me ? As in, that option isn't there ? I don't know the exact steps from memory....

I can't check on mine because it's turned off entirely ! The ROM will not accept an OTA s/w push from Verizon, negating the need for a checkbox allowing or disallowing it.

i think you hit about phone before hitting software update from what i remember. its been awhile for me also since the rom won't allow an update or any forced updates

I'll respond in more detail later. First, do me a favor....

Tap MENU, Settings, Software Update

Is there a checkbox for allowing or not allowing s/w updates ? What do you think would happen if that were un-checked ?

There are two listings:

Status and Check new. There is nothing to check off. In status I see they did the upgrade on 11/1 at 5:09 AM anyway even though I said no. My request was obviously ignored.

Under check new it says there are no new updates available

Current version is 2.11.605.5

Instead of "Software Update", look under "About Phone" maybe ? Otherwise, I'll find it on my wife's phone.

Don you can always go back to the original a long as the ROM is out there which in most cases they are.

It's under "About Phone" and first entry in the list, "Software updates".

No, the first item here is "Network"
Followed by:
Phone identity
Battery
Hardware information
Software information
Legal infoprmation

Under software information I just have the identy information, version numbers etc.

It appears your custom ROMs are not identical to what's on my phone from Verizon. I see no place yet where I can check or uncheck an automatic software update on this phone. I believe it's academic at this point because my phone got the update back on 11/1.

You cannot tell your phone to not accept updates from Verizon permanetly on your phone with the stock rom and such. They don't allow it.

I believe it's academic at this point because my phone got the update back on 11/1.
That could be exactly the difference. My phone is running a ROM based on VZW's latest s/w push, 2.11.605.5, and I do not have it either. My wife's is running an older version of the same ROM -- haven't updated it yet -- but based on 2.11.605.x and it does have the setting. It appears that VZW/HTC removed this option.

I'll reiterate what I've already said. On HTC phones, a competent ROM author appears to have the ability to turn off querying and more importantly, accepting OTA s/w updates. I've read about some ROMs that the "developer" forgot though ! Maybe that's not the case with Motorola.

I don't know if VZW is still slowly rolling out the GB update for the TBOLT or not or if they're "done", but neither my phone nor my wife's has bugged us about an update.

1. You have a hack process that is rather trouble free for the thunderbolt.
I used Revolutionary.io. I used it on both of our phones. The first time, I was very cautious so it took ~10 minutes. On the second phone, it took less than 5 minutes. It is NOT "one-click".
You have personally tested and verified this root on the thunderbolt.
No, I posted that ROM as an example of the simplest variation of a "rooted" ROM that maintains the phone as close to stock as possible. Remember, if function 'x' is broken on VZW's software, it will also be broken here. It is possible though that people have created a fix or patch that can be applied to this variation because one has root access. Voicemail notifications have been broken -- by VZW and HTC -- on Gingerbread releases (not released publicly on 2.11.605.1 and other 'test' versions) such as 2.11.605.3. That is the version VZW actually pushed a couple of weeks ago and stopped !!
B. If I find this not to my liking, can I uninstall it back to factory last known good stock?
Yes
C. Does this work with the new Gingerbread Android they are trying to push on us now?
It IS the same release !
D. I understand the warranty is voided, but I suppose if I had trouble, The phone is good as accidentally being run over and smashed, right?
I honestly haven't read from anyone who had a rooted phone that ran into issues with VZW. It appears that they simply don't check.