Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Just got this new wireless phone from AT&T. It's called "Tilt" (made by HTC and is also known as 8925, Kaiser and TyTN II in other countries). Here is a pic from AT&T:
att_tilt_l.gif
It has a slide-out keyboard and its display tilts at a 45-degree angle making it look like a miniature laptop. (The picture above is actually wrong: when you slide out the keyboard, the screen rotates immediately to landscape mode).

This will replace my old HP iPaq 6515, which I loved. I was looking for similar features, like built-in GPS, keyboard, Bluetooth, touch-screen, etc. Tilt has all that and much more in a much smaller case: more memory, faster CPU, better camera, WiFi, and 3G for high-speed data!

Just got it yesterday, and so far I love it: very solid build, good feel, one of the best keyboards I ever tried, a very bright display. Not as slick as iPhone, but IMHO, much more practical with 3G, GPS and a slide-out keyboard.

I have the HTC Mogul on Sprint's EVDO network. Very similar to the Tilt. I've played with a few iPhones and just don't get it what all the hoopla was for $600. It took me a month or two of playing with different apps, today plugins, etc but I love this phone and it sure beats the socks of the iPhone. I love the high customization you can do with these phones!

This is my first HTC device, but so far I am very impressed with its build quality: it feels very solid inspite of the sliding keyboard!
Display tilting works very well and holds at any angle. :up

I will try the GPS later today. AT&T offers TeleNav as a monthly subscription for this phone, but I will try to load TomTom Navigator 6.0 software instead.

A friend of mine has had the 8925 for about three weeks now. Unfortunately, the "tilt" will no longer hold. It folds back on itself. Hopefully he just got a bum unit and its not a design flaw.

I certainly hope so. I would hate to see it lose its tilting capability in three weeks...

I currently have the 8525 or Hermes, TynTn (the original).

I unlocked it and put on Windows 6. I love this unit. I use Goodlink to access my companies mailserver.

I have two upgrades available on my At&t account and have gone to the page to upgrade to the Tilt a bunch of times in the past week but always back out before pushing the buy button. I really want the Tilt but I know my wife will have a sh** fit if I come home with that although she may never notice.

Everything I have read has praised this phone. Even seen a lot of people say they returned their IPhone to go to the Tilt. Obviously these are probably business people who realized the Iphone was geared a little more towards entertainment than business applications.

Eventually I am sure I will pick one up.

Just installed Google Maps Mobile: easy download and install straight to the device (no ActiveSync was needed).
It found the GPS chip and after some hesitation was able to pin-point my location on the map. Cool!
Even inside the house it can see 6-7 birds. Not bad at all!
Now let's try TomTom...

Well, no problems installing TomTom Navigator! Even though Tilt isn't listed as a supported device on TomTom's web site.
I will need to take it for a road test to see how well it performs, but what is really encouraging, is that I can get a lock on satellites even inside the house. Something that I was almost never able to do with my old hw6515.

I also installed a Mobile SlingPlayer and it looks pretty good! With Edge/GPRS it was almost useless. But now with 3G and WiFi it may find another life. Display tilting, by the way, is very helpful when watching streaming video!

To make the GPS locator quicker go to programs, tools, Quick GPS.
Acoording to a lot of users Iguidance 4.0 is much better that Tom Tom Mobile.

YahooGO, Liver Search are also good additions.

Nice phone, great features.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts