Tim Donaghy claims that other referees were involved in altering NBA games

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
ESPN - Donaghy docs allege refs altered games, broke league rules - NBA

"A letter sent to the sentencing court on behalf of convicted former referee Tim Donaghy alleges that referees helped alter the outcome of the controversial 2002 Game 6 playoff series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings.

Donaghy also alleges that team executives conspired with the league to prevent star players from being called for too many fouls or being ejected. He claims that league officials told referees that doing so would "hurt ticket sales and television ratings."

Wow. If true, this is yet another awful blow in the long line of credibility issues that have become common in sports in recent years.

That report also mentioned about how the refs had fixed a 2005 playoff game to enforce calls against a particular player for moving screens on the Houston Rockets. Gee I wonder who that would have been? Somewhere Jeff Van Gundy is laughing!

The thing that bothers me is that Commissioner David Stern already came out and denied the possibility of any of these allegations being true without waiting for the facts to come out! To me, those aren't the actions of an innocent man.

So my question is now, with all of the cover-ups in American professional sports; the Steroids Scandal, Spygate, and now this, will these years in sports be tainted in the sports history books?

Wow. I've long thought that the NBA "massages" games to suit their needs....

I actually remember watching this SAC/LAL game and telling my friends that the fix was in (they thought I was crazy)

The thing that bothers me is that Commissioner David Stern already came out and denied the possibility of any of these allegations being true without waiting for the facts to come out! To me, those aren't the actions of an innocent man.

So my question is now, with all of the cover-ups in American professional sports; the Steroids Scandal, Spygate, and now this, will these years in sports be tainted in the sports history books?
I'm not surprised he denied it. Even if it was true I would be denying it as well. If all we have is Donaghy's word and no other collaboration, there's no way the case is going to go anywhere. A corrupt referee who had mafia ties is hardly the shining example of an honest man.

I'm not surprised he denied it. Even if it was true I would be denying it as well. If all we have is Donaghy's word and no other collaboration, there's no way the case is going to go anywhere. A corrupt referee who had mafia ties is hardly the shining example of an honest man.

Sure Donaghy isn't the poster boy of honesty, but for Stern to downright claim this false without leading an investigation to find out the truth to such accusations is ignorant IMO. Is Stern that arrogant to believe that the league officiating is squeaky clean minus the one black sheep in Donaghy?!

My point is, as a Commissioner in today's world, we have all learned that cover-ups don't work, isn't a solution and will lead to bigger scandals in the future. Ultimately the media will find out and more people will speak. By being forthcoming, honest and welcoming an investigation into the integrity of the league, will serve as a much better solution to solving the possible breaches in officiating. I'm sure that would go a long way with the fans by showing that you are trying to solve the problem, rather than denying and not doing anything.

Sure Donaghy isn't the poster boy of honesty, but for Stern to downright claim this false without leading an investigation to find out the truth to such accusations is ignorant IMO. Is Stern that arrogant to believe that the league officiating is squeaky clean minus the one black sheep in Donaghy?!

My point is, as a Commissioner in today's world, we have all learned that cover-ups don't work, isn't a solution and will lead to bigger scandals in the future. Ultimately the media will find out and more people will speak. By being forthcoming, honest and welcoming an investigation into the integrity of the league, will serve as a much better solution to solving the possible breaches in officiating. I'm sure that would go a long way with the fans by showing that you are trying to solve the problem, rather than denying and not doing anything.

I have a feeling Congress will "encourage" Stern to investigate.

Arrogant is David Stern's middle name.

Looks like the feds are asking ex refs about that old fart Dick "Knick" Bavetta!

Report: Ex-ref Hollins says he was interviewed by feds

The FBI has questioned an ex-NBA referee about Dick Bavetta, one of three officials to work Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals, according to The New York Times.

Hue Hollins, who retired in 2003, said the agents, who asked him about former NBA referee Tim Donaghy, also asked if he ever noticed that Bavetta "was making sure that the home team would win, and I told them I had no idea because I didn't work with him a lot," according to the Times.

According to the report, Hollins said the agents did not ask about a specific team, game or series, and did not ask about Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals.

"They were very specific about their questioning, as though they had heard something," Hollins said, according to the Times. "They knew exactly what they were going after."

Donaghy has alleged that NBA referees working during the 2002 NBA playoffs assured that a series -- presumed to be the 2002 Western Conference finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings -- would go to a seventh game.

Donaghy did not identify the referees in his letter or specify which game was affected. But it has been deduced that the game in question was Game 6 of the Lakers-Kings series, which was worked by Bavetta, Bob Delaney and Ted Bernhardt. The Lakers shot 27 free throws in the final quarter and scored 16 of their last 18 points at the line, winning 106-102 and forcing a deciding seventh game.

The NBA does not allow its referees to speak to the media without being given prior permission, and the league did not respond to a request made Wednesday by ESPN.com to permit Bavetta to be interviewed. Bernhardt, who is no longer an NBA ref, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

On Wednesday, Delaney told Bob Ley in an interview for ESPN's "Outside The Lines First Report" that he has never been contacted by NBA or federal investigators concerning Donaghy's allegations.

Delaney, a highly decorated former New Jersey State trooper, said: "This is not the first time a known or convicted criminal has lied about me before the judicial system. I have an extensive law enforcement background and still train police officers. I have dealt with criminals and informants, and I know full well they are capable of doing and saying anything. I cannot comment any further without permission from the NBA."

NBA commissioner David Stern said the Justice Department had fully investigated the most recent Donaghy's claims, which he labeled as "baseless."

Donaghy has pleaded guilty to federal charges he shared inside information on NBA games with gamblers. He made the allegations about the 2002 playoffs in a letter filed in U.S. District Court, in which he attempted to show he has cooperated with federal agents and deserved a lesser sentence.

ESPN - Report: Ex-ref Hollins says he was interviewed by feds - NBA

Why would he lie to the feds and risk more jail time?

Don't forget who employed that corrupt ref with mafia ties.

I have long thought the fix has been in. You gonna tell me with ALL the money that is flowing around, you don't think organized crime was not gonna get to an ump, ref or a line judge? Come on guys....as long as there is gambling, there will ALWAYS be bought officails....period.

We do not even wanna bring up Hollins name....him AND Bavetta have to be THE worst or THE crookedest(does that word even exist? LOL) sports officails EVER to officiate ANY sport.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)