Time for College football playoffs?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Playoffs for the BCS Bowl and reduce the amount of bowl games.
Like the playoff for the BCS Bowl should be top 10 teams in the playoffs.

Aye, all the kids need to be able to win something at every level and so much money in the pockets of the people that would make the decision to change it.

I like what someone posted on another forum, when talking about how the Cardinals dismantled the Panthers.

"This is why in NFL you play the games, and in College Football you don't"

Make it a playoff, have each of the playoff games be a bowl game themselves, having someone be the GMAC, Gooney Goo Goo, Orange and Fiesta bowl champion instead of just some murky 'well... they're undefeated but they're not the winner because...' situation is far more preferable.

Granted I'm not super familiar with recruiting and stuff, but do you think all these big powerhouse teams want to be exposed by a 'lesser' team that is hot while competing for recruits with the other powerhouses?

There was a song on SNL last night about the BCS - Saturday Night Live - Update: Part 2 - 1/10/09 - Video - NBC.com

How many fans do you think watch the MLB and NBA finals that dont normally watch those sports? It's like the Olympics, when there's something to lose... it's entertaining. Absent a playoff, the bowl system outside of a (Thursday night... wtf... another topic entirely) 'championship game'

...There was a song on SNL last night about the BCS - Saturday Night Live - Update: Part 2 - 1/10/09 - Video - NBC.com ...

:down If it weren't for occasional funny skits during elections years (although they're pretty biased for the most part), SNL would've been trashed a long time ago. I'm glad I was able to enjoy it in it's glory days in the 70s.

That said, I would like to see some type of playoff scenario also. Jimbo's makes the most sense as any I've heard. I doubt it happens though. :(

Jimbo has the best scenario for a BCS playoff.

:down If it weren't for occasional funny skits during elections years (although they're pretty biased for the most part), SNL would've been trashed a long time ago. I'm glad I was able to enjoy it in it's glory days in the 70s.

That said, I would like to see some type of playoff scenario also. Jimbo's makes the most sense as any I've heard. I doubt it happens though. :(

Thanks for the credit, but it goes to Paul as well, we kinda figured out a scenario a few years back and just keep reviewing it yearly :)

I doubt we see any major changes till the current contract ends, you know the Networks will have a lot to do with it.

fwiw, the NC game should be on a Saturday night, so people can all get together and have thier parties without having to go to work the next day.

I would like the NC game on a W/E or New Years day.

Jimbo

...Thanks for the credit, but it goes to Paul as well, we kinda figured out a scenario a few years back and just keep reviewing it yearly...
Kudos to Paul too then.

...fwiw, the NC game should be on a Saturday night, so people can all get together and have thier parties without having to go to work the next day.

I would like the NC game on a W/E or New Years day.

Jimbo
Jimbeaux for President 2012!
cope.gif
;)

Last edited:
I went looking for the scenario's we came up with, but for some reason everything but the Sports thread is archived here. Maybe Jimbo still remembers.

Probably just as well, as there really is no way to incorporate the bowls into some kind of 8 or 16 team bracket. And the bowls are not going away.

Sandra

there really is no way to incorporate the bowls into some kind of 8 or 16 team bracket. And the bowls are not going away.

I have always been against a playoff.

It's too complicated, too difficult to set-up.

Not only that, but I tire of all these talking heads who act like a playoff would be a great thing. Honestly, I think it would be a bad idea.

I have always been against a playoff.

It's too complicated, too difficult to set-up.

Not only that, but I tire of all these talking heads who act like a playoff would be a great thing. Honestly, I think it would be a bad idea.
Please explain why it would be a bad idea. It would be a bad idea for the coaches who currently measure success by making, then hopefully winning a bowl game.

It's not too difficult to set up. They manage to accomplish it in the other divisions of NCAA football, why not here?? Here's one example I found last year of an idea that definitely sounds like a good one:

A 16-team field. Just like Division I-AA, a tournament would feature four rounds with teams seeded one through 16. Just like the wildly popular and profitable NCAA men's basketball tournament, champions of all 11 conferences earn an automatic bid to the field.

At-large bids. In addition to the 11 automatic bids, there would be five at-large selections made by a basketball-like selection committee. This would ensure that in almost every season, 11 of the teams in the tournament would be high-major programs – the automatic bids from the six major leagues (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC) and the five at-large teams which would in all likelihood come from those same conferences.

Home games for the higher seed in the first three rounds.
Since money talks in college football, the addition of the 14 hugely profitable home games that the first three rounds would create would be an enticing revenue stream. Also, with the competitive value of home field, this again maintains the importance of the regular season because the higher the seed, the more likely a team advances.

Bowl games could still exist. One could serve as the championship game, giving college football its neutral, Super Bowl-style site to conclude the tournament. Whether it is here in suburban Phoenix or a rotation of other traditional bowls such as the Rose, Sugar and Orange doesn't matter.

As for all the other bowls, they can go on as they wish. There is value to the smaller bowls in smaller communities, and if the Sun Bowl in El Paso still wishes to stage a game, it by all means should. It just won't have selection access to the 16 tournament teams. But it doesn't have access to teams of that quality now. It still can host a meaningless game between two moderately successful schools. For most bowls, nothing changes.

The perfect plan - College Football - Rivals.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)