time frame for deactivation to take place?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

idahomodder

Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
You know when you call in to deactivated an IRD, and it needs to download the *hit* to tell it to not work? I am just curious what kind of time frame the *hit* is sent out for. I have heard some people say it doesn't take the *hit* if it is "accidentally unplugged by a customer " for a month or sometimes even less.

anyone have light to shed on this issue?

I have heard of a box working for two months after being deactivated then shut off on the 24th.

You know when you call in to deactivated an IRD, and it needs to download the *hit* to tell it to not work? I am just curious what kind of time frame the *hit* is sent out for. I have heard some people say it doesn't take the *hit* if it is "accidentally unplugged by a customer " for a month or sometimes even less.

anyone have light to shed on this issue?

I have heard of a box working for two months after being deactivated then shut off on the 24th.
In most cases, if they want, they can turn you off while your on the phone with them, probably in ALL cases, seeing they can turn your service on while your on the phone.
What you may be seeing is the sub is usually paid for the current month ahead (I think) and D* may be obligated to have you finish your service month out.

Jimbo

Old Dish Network receivers were very prone to the scenario you describe. When they implemented their new cards, they put a "time-bomb" on the card. If it didn't see a signal within a period of time, the card de-activated itself. DirecTV has employed the same process for a much longer period of time. Yes, the receiver will be active for an hour or so, but eventually it will become un-subbed.

I've got a used receiver from someone that had just switched from Dish Network about a year ago and it worked for about for a week and a half. Then one night it was shut off.

I've got a used receiver from someone that had just switched from Dish Network about a year ago and it worked for about for a week and a half. Then one night it was shut off.
Thats may be because the Access Card Id was just put back in the stream and took that long for the ID check to roll around.

Jimbo

I cancelled D* last summer for 2 weeks (cable was awful) and when I hooked the receiver back up it was still activated...I don't know how long it would have worked because I called right away to reactivate it. It is an old direct tivo (35 hours) and I always unplug phone and cable before I cancel so I can finish watching the stuff I have recorded on the tivo. I will wait a couple of weeks and hook it back up and see if it still works and time how long it takes for it to die.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts