Viiv and Vista

Status
Please reply by conversation.

digideal

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
I've searched high and low and cannot find any help. Hopefully the collective brain power of this group can help a brother out!

I have the HR-20 hooked up to network, the network tests great and all is well. I can connect to the Internet. I saw on the DirecTV forums that one can download the Viiv software to sync up with the HR-20. However, they do not support the Vista Ultimate OS. Only MCE 2005 rollup 1 will work.

There must be a solution out there somewhere. Anyone have it working on their Vista versions? If it is not Viiv software, what other way can I tap into the HR-20's system?

I have an AMD chip (no Viiv) and Vista Ultimate RC2 64 Bit and the media was recognized with just saying to share the Media. The HR20 picked it up with little to no tweeking.

To share media go here.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

Then at bottom, click the arrow for Media Sharing and CHANGE. If you setup the Media Center folders and then configure the sharing here it should work. I think all Vista versions come with Windows Media Center features by default. Just go into the Main Menu and define media folders for pictures, music, and media. You can then use HR20. Better if you use an Xbox 360. Navigation and speed and much better.

I forgot to mention when looking at the network on Vista, you should see the HR20 picked up as a computer or device on the network.

Better if you use an Xbox 360. Navigation and speed and much better.

I forgot to mention when looking at the network on Vista, you should see the HR20 picked up as a computer or device on the network.

I do have sharing setup on my Vista config - but did not look at the Network to find it. How do you create the connection on the 360? I just set that up as well - totally awesome to have your 360 share media and pictures from your PC. I'm loving it! There really is something to this family PC concept.

Big frustration about the 360 perhaps you could assist with - I am stuck on the Vista Media Center and adding an extender. It cannot locate the extender (the 360) to set it up. Firewall is completely turned off but I do have a Watchguard box before the internal network to assure all is safe from outsiders. Should I play with those settings? I don't think it would matter inside the network...

Did you try to find the Media Center from the Xbox. Try connecting from there and go through the network tests. If your router is setup correctly, then they should both be pointing to the same router. Your Xbox will then give you the code to add.

It might be the watchdog hiding the Media Center from the Xbox. Try removing it and see if you can get the code when searching for the Media Center. If it sees it, then Vista will pop up that an Xbox was found and ask for the code. It will then show up in the network configuration and show all the devices.

Not sure if I explained it right but as far as I know you cant share media from Xbox to HR20. Media Center can share to both the Xbox and HR20. I was only saying that Xbox navigation and features are way better then the HR20.

Progress update - Xbox can access the computer and it is awesome. Computer cannot see HR-20, and the extender setup in Windows Media Center cannot pull up the xbox - I have the code from the xbox, but the error I get is on the extender setup. I've disconnected the Watchguard box so no firewall is on the network (temporarily!) and I get this error: An error occured while configuring your computer to work with this extender. It searches the network and just cannot find the xbox.

And I cannot see the HR-20 in my own network. I think I need the Viiv software for this and don't know how to get it to work with vista - it seems to be only for Windows MCE 2005 rollup 1. Thanks for your suggestions Brewer - you have something more I could try??? Anyone else as well having problems?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)