Time to leave Dish again

FAiello

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
With the new equipment fees and me always loosing signal in a heavy rain and when it snows and Dish coming out to say my satilite is peeked its time to leave Dish and go back to Cable.

Present Cost:
Classic Gold 250 $67.99
HD & Plat $10.00
Second Receiver $7.00

Total $84.99 plus tax

New Cost:
Classic Gold 250 $62.99
HD & Plat $10.00
722 DVR $17.00
222k $14.00

Total $104.99 plus tax

Thats a $20 increase, good bye Dish

1st is free

With the new equipment fees and me always loosing signal in a heavy rain and when it snows and Dish coming out to say my satilite is peeked its time to leave Dish and go back to Cable.

Present Cost:
Classic Gold 250 $67.99
HD & Plat $10.00
Second Receiver $7.00

Total $84.99 plus tax

New Cost:
Classic Gold 250 $62.99
HD & Plat $10.00
722 DVR $17.00
222k $14.00

Total $104.99 plus tax

Thats a $20 increase, good bye Dish

subtract the 17 it's the primary unit. then add 6 for DVR fee. So 11 off 93.99 at most. of course there was the 7 DVR fee in the past. So you bill will only change a little not sure how much.

So I am looking at a $9.00 increase. Thats still too much after the surprise in the tax increase earlier. I pay $5 in taxes too.

Not E* fault

So I am looking at a $9.00 increase. Thats still too much after the surprise in the tax increase earlier. I pay $5 in taxes too.

The taxes aren't E* fault that's the gov. So how does that figure into anything. The diff in taxes between the 2 will be pennies. what will you be able to replace it with for same type of price. The diff is 8 or 9 I think but not sure just wait and see then if it is too high see about if there will be some type of credit available. I'm sure retetion is going to be giving away some credits for a while to make the transition less of a problem for customers.

The taxes aren't E* fault that's the gov. So how does that figure into anything. The diff in taxes between the 2 will be pennies. what will you be able to replace it with for same type of price. The diff is 8 or 9 I think but not sure just wait and see then if it is too high see about if there will be some type of credit available. I'm sure retetion is going to be giving away some credits for a while to make the transition less of a problem for customers.

I believe the retailer chat mentioned some credits.

Best of luck to you, however you act. But I'm sure you'll miss the Dish receivers should you leave.

And if you do move, remember, whoever, their rates are going up, too!!! BTW, your taxes are local.

I was giving Comcast $180 a month for video service, $48 of that was hddvr fees for a lousy dvr and a quarter of the HD channels. Dish, for me, is by far still a better value, even with an increase in fees. With the wealth of info on this site, anyone with a 7/16" wrench should be able to tweek their dish for maximum reception if it were needed and safe to do.

I was giving Comcast $180 a month for video service, $48 of that was hddvr fees for a lousy dvr and a quarter of the HD channels. Dish, for me, is by far still a better value, even with an increase in fees. With the wealth of info on this site, anyone with a 7/16" wrench should be able to tweek their dish for maximum reception if it were needed and safe to do.

Dish new receiver prices are more than cable. Both Comcast and TWC charge between $7-18 per DVR depending on your area that fee can include the DVR fee as well. In Los Angeles for example TWC charges $10 DVR fee per account and DVR them selfs are $8.95 per month. They offer a TV/Internet bundle for $69.99 with 2 year contract or $79.99 with no contract and that includes standard road runner service which is 10/1 internet connection. So if you figured new pricing coming from Dish starting Feb 1st a comparable package is going to cost you following on Dish. Dish top 200 is $52.99+10 HD + $17 2nd DVR, + 6 DVR fee = $85.99 with no internet at all vs TWC would run $107.89 making your internet worth $21.90 for 10/1 connection and ATT DSL 6/608 costs $45. So when my contract expires with Dish I am gone now, I do not care if ATT internet is much better than TWC internet, I do not think Dish DVR are worth $24.10 per month or $298.10 a year more, if I agree to 2 year contract with TWC I would save another $10 per month over the contract term and I would save $818 over keeping Dish/ATT combo.

I switched from TWC to Dish/ATT combo mainly cause it was cheaper than TWC 2 years ago Cable/internet bundle and ATT had faster internet which is no longer the case either. So I personally prefer not to pay $818 more to charlie over the next 2 years and prefer to buy 2 TIVO HD DVR which in my opinion are better DVR than Dish and after 2 years with the money I saved I more than paid for those DVR and if I continue to stay with cable I will continue to save money on an ongoing basis. As I would pay $600 for 2 Tivo HD, then pay $12.50 per month for Tivo Service + $1.75 x 4 cable cards = $7.00 vs paying TWC $27.90 for 2 crappy DVRs thus increasing my savings per month by $10 more on an ongoing basis or an extra $240 in savings durning the contract term bringing my savings to over $1k and spending $600 on DVR bringing my net total savings to $400 over first 2 years and $500 a year after that on an ongoing basis as long as Dish network and TWC current pricing remains about the same.

As I would pay $600 for 2 Tivo HD, then pay $12.50 per month for Tivo Service
There is a cost associated with each Tivo unit. You can get the multi-unit discount and get the 2nd Tivo at like $6.95/mo, but you'll have to pay a fee for both.

For my Comcast market I'd get half the HD channels of Dish, and I'd pay more.

Digital Preferred Service $74.49
Sports Entertainment Package $7.99 (required to get things like the NFL network that are included by default on Dish Top 250)
DVR Receiver $15.95 each
Each receiver after the 1st also incurs a $6.95 additional outlet fee

So cost for Comcast with 2 receivers: $74.49 + $7.99 + $15.95 + $15.95 + $6.95 = $121.33

Compare that to:

Classic Gold 250 $62.99
HD + Platinum $10.00

2 HD Duo DVRs $17 for the 2nd (first one free) + $6 account DVR fee

So $62.99 + $10 + $17 + $6 = $95.99

Clearly the equation is going to work out differently by market, but most of the cable companies out there are still setup to be pretty fee-heavy.

There is a cost associated with each Tivo unit. You can get the multi-unit discount and get the 2nd Tivo at like $6.95/mo, but you'll have to pay a fee for both.

For my Comcast market I'd get half the HD channels of Dish, and I'd pay more.

Digital Preferred Service $74.49
Sports Entertainment Package $7.99 (required to get things like the NFL network that are included by default on Dish Top 250)
DVR Receiver $15.95 each
Each receiver after the 1st also incurs a $6.95 additional outlet fee

So cost for Comcast with 2 receivers: $74.49 + $7.99 + $15.95 + $15.95 + $6.95 = $121.33

Compare that to:

Classic Gold 250 $62.99
HD + Platinum $10.00

2 HD Duo DVRs $17 for the 2nd (first one free) + $6 account DVR fee

So $62.99 + $10 + $17 + $6 = $95.99

Clearly the equation is going to work out differently by market, but most of the cable companies out there are still setup to be pretty fee-heavy.

Really, that was actually something I was wondering about, so a tivo subscription is only good for one box, not a household. That really stinks, maybe moxi is the way to go then.

According to Tivo web page, it is $8 for the first Tivo and $4.50 for the 2nd tivo if you pre-pay service 1 year at a time. Sorry I should have been more clear in my first post which makes the total Tivo charge per month $12.50.

I guess Comcast in your area rapes people worse than in other areas or TWC is much cheaper than Comcast, As TWC does not charge any additional outlet fee and charges $2 per DVR less. But also if you look at comcast web page they offer for $79.99 Digital TV and standard Internet. So what are you paying for Internet right now? As for $126.99 you would get internet too vs $95.99 is just for TV and like I said a 6mbit ATT Elite DSL is $45 per month and slower than Comcast 8-10mbit download depending on where you live as standard is different per area. So if you had ATT DSL and Dish Network your total would be $140.99 and that also requires you to have 1 pots line or the price is $5 more month for the DSL.

So if you look at your combined internet/tv package chances are just like with TWC your bill would be cheaper with Comcast bundle over Dish/ATT Dsl bundle.

According to Tivo web page, it is $8 for the first Tivo and $4.50 for the 2nd tivo if you pre-pay service 1 year at a time. Sorry I should have been more clear in my first post which makes the total Tivo charge per month $12.50.
Are you sure about that? The published rate is $129/year for the 1st unit + $99/year for each additional.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/plans.do
http://www3.tivo.com/buytivo/msdpricing-message-ajax.html

But also if you look at comcast web page they offer for $79.99 Digital TV and standard Internet.
Yeah, on a new customer promo deal. You could also get Dish service cheaper if you were a new customer as well.

So what are you paying for Internet right now?

$110/mo for Comcast Business 22/5
$39.95/mo for DSL service (as a backup)

My Internet requirements aren't exactly typical though.

The big thing for me is I'm a hockey fan, so cable service is a non-starter at any price. Dish gives me 2-5 HD games to watch a night on Center Ice -- cable has a single HD channel. Comcast also doesn't carry the NHL Network in HD, nor do they carry another one of my guilty pleasures the Travel Channel in HD.

Cable has great promos to win back customers from satellite -- but brace yourself for one hell of a price shock 12 months down the line when the promo expires.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/upgrade.do

Well I got that price for the service on my Tivo from their, Also got the price of $300 per HD tivo using that program as I used to have Tivo S2 before switching to Dish.

Exclusive savings on a TiVo HD DVR: As a valued TiVo customer, you may be eligible for special prices below MSRP

Save on service every month: As an Upgrade Program customer, you may qualify for a multi-service discount on your current TiVo DVR and save more money every month.

So maybe I am getting "Special Pricing" and I thought those were the standard pricing offered to everyone. As I thought I was only saving $150 Factory-renewed TiVo® HD XL DVR* over normal customers. I did not know I was getting a break on the monthly service beyond normal yearly discount offered to general public. So if that is the case I guess savings for Tivo and if Tivo is an opinion is going to be based on the fact if you are previous Tivo customer or not.

Oh gee I'm so happy with Dish It snowed here again last night I spent all morning outside shoveling and thought I would sit down, relax and watch some tv this afternoon, OH GEE I have no signal my dish is covered with snow and its on the roof so I can't get to it.......glad I am going to start paying more for this.....NOT.

And of course it is Dish's fault that you have snow on your dish..... There are ways to prevent that from happening. Do a search on dish, snow...

Dont forget with Tivo you will need to get the SDV device when your market goes SDV and then you have to pay for cable cards. At least in my market, Comcast rapes you after the first cablecard and they make it hard to get an M card so you have to pay for two cable cards per Tivo. I played this game before going with Dish. It was not worth it. You also have to pay the local cable franchise (usually the city) which is typically > taxes. My franchise charged about $6 a month in addition to the taxes.

As for the people complaining about snow, get a dish heater. They are not too expensive and the couple kinds I have installed work perfect.

Well one thing for sure, lots of high value multi DVR subs will go shopping:) 20 buck price increase tend do do that.

The question E must wonder? How many will sign a contract with someone else, so when they call to cancel there will be nothing we can do???

Sub POOF GONE.

I have heard the average sub life expectancy is just over 2 years. From a VERY reliable source:)

So maybe E doesnt care?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)