Time to leave Dish again

I switched to cable for a few months been with Dish for nine years. What was suppose to be cheaper ended up been about $30 more. I had so much problems with losing picture and Internet they practically had to come to my house at least 3 times a week.
Cable has lots of hidden fees which they will not tell you about in advance. Their equipment fees are horrific. Don't forget you will also have to pay Local Franchise Fees, which are included in my bill.
I went back to Dish via Claude at Dishstore.net ( a sponsor of this site) and have never looked back, because none of the other competition is any better.

I think the 2 year reference is to how long it takes a satco to break even on a sub.

With a churn rate of about 1.5% they are hardly bleeding customers.

That was my assumption, but I'm really not sure at all. I think it was once defined here in another thread. Perhaps someone who knows will chime in.

wonder how churn is calculated

Average monthly subscriber churn rate. We are not aware of any uniform standards for calculating subscriber churn rate and believe presentations of subscriber churn rates may not be calculated consistently by different companies in the same or similar businesses. We calculate subscriber churn rate for any period by dividing the number of DISH Network subscribers who terminated service during the period by the average monthly DISH Network subscribers during the period, and further dividing by the number of months in the period. When calculating subscriber churn, as is the case when calculating ARPU, the number of subscribers in a given month is based on the average of the beginning-of-month and the end-of-month subscriber counts.
Source: http://investing.businessweek.com/r...5KC633QH42DDPOR4R&docFormat=HTM&formType=10-Q

Average monthly subscriber churn rate. We are not aware of any uniform standards for calculating subscriber churn rate and believe presentations of subscriber churn rates may not be calculated consistently by different companies in the same or similar businesses. We calculate subscriber churn rate for any period by dividing the number of DISH Network subscribers who terminated service during the period by the average monthly DISH Network subscribers during the period, and further dividing by the number of months in the period. When calculating subscriber churn, as is the case when calculating ARPU, the number of subscribers in a given month is based on the average of the beginning-of-month and the end-of-month subscriber counts.[/url]

This monthly churn percentage is what I was talking about in another post I made recently about the churn rate. I read a while back that it was 1.5% monthly which would calculate to be 18% annually and I heard at that time it was rising a bit. I believe this is why Dish Network was penalizing those retailers that had higher churn rates. I was shocked that it would be 18% churn annually. The thing is, many of those that churn do turn service back on eventually so maybe it is not as bad as it looks.

Well I'm not cancelling Dish, but I'm going to eliminated all premiums. I have 5 receivers 1-VIP622, 3-VIP211K, 1-DVR510, as AEP + all HD packages customer de DVR Fee was waived, now is $6, and as a Retailer I received a Fact Blast yesterday stating that the new Additional DVR receiver Fee is $10. So that's $11($6+$5 which is the difference between my actual $5 charge and the new $10) to add to the packages price increase..
My wife opened an account on Net Flix and I'm going to AT-250 + Plat HD and I'm getting Rid of the DVR-510..

I find it hard to believe the churn rate is around 18% per year. But you may be right, as incredible as that seems (to me). I think that 1.5% or so rate was for the quarter. Based on the recent post discussing churn rate, it would seem that they need to specify the period it applies to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)