Time To Switch To D* (I Guess)

billhdtv

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I am looking for a reason to stay with E* and I don't think TNT-HD will hold me. I need Distant Nets in HD and a short and long term commitment by my Satellite provider to HD. D* just released an HD receiver with an HDMI output and I have a Tosh 62HMX94. I have not seen any news out of CES that indicates that E* has any solid HD plans and D* appears to be going full speed. Any input will be helpful.

Bill G

Well, if you can get an 811 for free, or the 921 on new-customer cheap, do the math, and if it's OK for you, get it.

What is it - 921 for $250? If it's good for a year, that's the same as a $20/month rental. Maybe that's decent economics for you. That's how I justified paying $1000 for my 921 - 4 years @ $20/month. At this point tho, it looks like I get screwed.

billhdtv said:
I am looking for a reason to stay with E* and I don't think TNT-HD will hold me. I need Distant Nets in HD and a short and long term commitment by my Satellite provider to HD. D* just released an HD receiver with an HDMI output and I have a Tosh 62HMX94. I have not seen any news out of CES that indicates that E* has any solid HD plans and D* appears to be going full speed. Any input will be helpful.

Bill G

yes do your research. If you like the ideas presented in a switch then go for it. I did switch because of charlie and his assanine promises and lack of "Compelling" reason to stay. I like it better but YMMV.

Thanks for input everyone. There are ofcourse several things to consider. Mainly I have made a substantial commitment to HDTV and I am not sure Dish is. I just bought a new HDTV with HDMI inputs and Directv just released an STB with HDMI outputs and Directv appears to be making a big commitment to HD. I would have expected that Dish would have had Distant nets available in HD. They don't so it looks like I won't get this years super bowl in HD. I won't switch under after Feb 1. Someone hinted that Dish would have a bid announcement around the first of Feb.

Thanks

Bill G

billhdtv said:
Thanks for input everyone. There are ofcourse several things to consider. Mainly I have made a substantial commitment to HDTV and I am not sure Dish is. I just bought a new HDTV with HDMI inputs and Directv just released an STB with HDMI outputs and Directv appears to be making a big commitment to HD. ...
Well, DVI to HDMI converters are pretty low cost, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. All the HD receivers do DVI. If you think D* will follow through with their promises, go with them. If you think E* will match them soon enough, stay with E*. A committment is one thing. A satellite actually broadcasting HD to your receiver is something else. Right now, the only real difference between the two in HD is broadcast networks (if you're eligible).

SimpleSimon said:
Well, if you can get an 811 for free, or the 921 on new-customer cheap, do the math, and if it's OK for you, get it.

What is it - 921 for $250? If it's good for a year, ....

921 for $250???? Where? Where? Where??

I just thought you should know the HDMI is no big deal. As mdonnelly said the converters are soooo cheap and you get no loss of quality. HDMI if I am not mistaken is only DVI + Audio. So really all you are getting is digital audio along with regualy DVI video. No PQ difference there. And you can get digital audio from a toslink or digital coaxial cable which sounds great over a HTS.

What I am trying to tell you is that HDMI is no reason to switch. Programming, Customer Service, etc is, and you should make an informed decision before switching. And I must say wait for MPEG 4 if you can.

Do not make your decision on what the providers (satellite or cable) have promised but rather on what they have delivered. The DVR-921 is a perfect example of promises and plans that to some degree went undelivered. Don't be swayed by the promise of HD locals and massive HD content upgrades. If you do, it may be you that is left holding a very expensive empty or partially filled bag of promises. Take your time and make an informed decision. After all, its just television.

What I am trying to tell you is that HDMI is no reason to switch. Programming, Customer Service, etc is, and you should make an informed decision before switching. And I must say wait for MPEG 4 if you can.[/QUOTE]

I have considered DVI output using an adapter to HDMI however, at least with Tosh DLP sets there appears to be a ghosting issue. I am in no hurry but I belive that I would be eligible for HD distant nets and E* is not delivering. I won't make a final decision until early February. I think whoever can get me NASCAR in HD will get my business. Still many things to consider both long term and short. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Very helpful indeed. It is always much easier to know what you should have done. Not always easy to know what to do.

Bill G

HDMI? Big deal. It doesn't do much good if your TV doesn't have speakers, does it? (My PDP does not) You'll need an HT Receiver with an HDMI input or you'll still be using your Digital audio connection (Toslink or coaxial) for surround 5.1 or 7.1 (or other audio connectors)
I run HDMI w/DVI adapter to my Plasma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)