Time to trade my 6000 for 811??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I have a Samsung 43" DLP television, and have a Dish 6000 receiver hooked up via component cables. (the Samsung also has a DVI input, which is unused right now). I think the HD picture like on Discover HD is stunning. I live in San Francisco bay area, and also get a lot of local digital channels OTA via the 6000.

I am about to get a 811 receiver for $149, scheduled install on March 27. Am I making the right move, "upgrading" to the 811? I would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Thank you very much,

Jeff

If you are already getting a stunning picture... why the upgrade? Just for the DVI output? Just curious.... If so, like Rolltide mentioned, why not wait a bit and see if Dish fixes some of the outstanding issues.

I've seen a few posts where people have been unhapping moving from the 6000 to the 811.

The 811 has some minor problems, but so does the 6000 (that were never fixed). The 811 has some featutres that the 6000 does not. Several day program guide. When switching from normal, to stretch, to frull, you do not lose the picture like the 6000 does. You can map Dish locals to their local numbers. Reception is much better on sd channels upconverted to 1080i. I am sure that there are more advantages of the 811 over the 6000. Most people are happy with the 811 and you cannot beat the $149 price, which I am sure will go up sooner or later. It is decision that you must make for yourself. Remember only listen to people that had the 6000 and switched to the 811. Many of the trolls on this forum have never had neither. Also, you can always sell you 6000 on eBay for over $500. Just do not tell Rolltide.

Just because of the price ($149) I'd buy one. This deal may go away and never come back. It would be nice to have another HD receiver on hand just in case you decide to get another HDTV. If you have the money laying around, go for it.

ride525 said:
I have a Samsung 43" DLP television, and have a Dish 6000 receiver hooked up via component cables. (the Samsung also has a DVI input, which is unused right now). I think the HD picture like on Discover HD is stunning. I live in San Francisco bay area, and also get a lot of local digital channels OTA via the 6000.

I am about to get a 811 receiver for $149, scheduled install on March 27. Am I making the right move, "upgrading" to the 811? I would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Jeff
Jeff, In my humble opinion the 811 has enough improved features to make it well worth while. Picture in guide being the main feature along with mapping the locals (OTA) with the locals from Dish. Of course if you are in a good OTA spot you wouldn't need the Dish locals with either receiver.
Another nice feature is you don't have to switch the output from HD to SD as the 811 has both active all the time.
I have both and was using the 6000 as it was much more reliable until this latest software release and now I am using the 811. It still has a few problems but I can live with them for now.
If you have strong OTA signals you may not have the problem of losing them in the guide.

With the most recent update to the 811 I do not have a reason to prefer the 6000 over the 811. Note that I watch through the component output so I do not suffer the dark SVideo problem.

ROLLTIDE said:
the 811 blows goats when it comes to OTA reception
I assume by this you mean it doesn't do a good job on OTA reception. Have you had a 6000 to compare it too? I thought that 811 did at least as good of a job on OTA digital as the 6000. Most of the signals on my 6000 are in the 80% range.

And thanks everyone that replied. I'm guessing that I can use the 811 in the same manner as I use my 6000, that is just use the "HD" blue light on for all output (no matter whether the source is HD or SD). I use component out 100% of the time on my 6000, and would hope that I could use DVI 100% of the time on 811.

Thanks again,

Jeff

I'm in the process now of comparing the 6000 and 811 right now. So far the 6000 is blowing the 811 out of water with OTA reception. More tomorrow

You might want to wait until others have posted that they are nolonger seeing the 49% problem on OTA. I had a 6K that worked fine but upgraded for the new features. The 811 had trouble tuning in some stations that the 6K had no problems with, had the 49% problem.

Amen

gpflepsen said:
Just because of the price ($149) I'd buy one. This deal may go away and never come back. It would be nice to have another HD receiver on hand just in case you decide to get another HDTV. If you have the money laying around, go for it.
Already did, and happy for it.

I have S-video, with no problem

mike123abc said:
With the most recent update to the 811 I do not have a reason to prefer the 6000 over the 811. Note that I watch through the component output so I do not suffer the dark SVideo problem.

I am currently connecting my 811 to a standard 27" tv in bedroom via S-video, and have not noticed a darkness problem yet (and I really would...)
However, I did only receive mine this week, so I started with the latest software rev.

I have a 50" samsund DLP (HLN 507 W) and moved from a 6000 to a 921. I compared the PQ between the two units using component cables and found the PQ to be virtually identical.

However when I switched to the 921's DVI output there was a dramatic increase in PQ. The difference (for me) was as noticable as switching from s-video to HD-component. There are similar reports from Samsung DLP owners switching from component to DVI sources on AVSForums.

Based on this experience I would recomend getting an 811 to take advantage of the DVI input on your TV

I would definately agree that if you have a fixed pixel display, DVI is the way to go.
I believe on these sets, if you are using component, you are doing an unneccessary digital->analog->digital conversion. With DVI it would be digital straight through.

Not as a big a deal on a CRT-based set.

I wouldn't trade the 6000 either. Hackers, er... folks will pay $400-$500 for one on Ebay. That choice is up to you though.

Jeff,

I have a 50" Samsung DLP and an 811. The component connection looks great, but the DVI connection looks even better. It's especially noticable on native HD content. After doing MANY A/B comparisons with the 811 between the component and DVI outputs to the DLP set, the DVI is definitely better in my home.

My 811 works great for my OTA digital needs. I'm receiving all 7 OTA digital stations available in my market ... and with the 811, I receive one digital station OTA that I could not receive with my 6000 and the same antenna. The s-video is still dark, but I doubt if that's important to you based upon your description.

The only thing that I did not expect is, with 1080i HD source material, the 811 definitely works better when set to 1080i output mode when connected to the DLP set with either component or DVI. It's MUCH better to let the Samsung do the scaling to 720p for it's native display. On the other hand, when watching 720p source material, the 811's 720p setting is the best...

Cheers!

Dennis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts