Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/timewarnersuit120806.htm

The cable operator says DIRECTV spots featuring Jessica Simpson and William Shatner make false claims about its high-def picture.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (December 8, 2006) -- In a new DIRECTV commercial for its HDTV service, Jessica Simpson posing as her Dukes of Hazzard character Daisy Duke looks into the camera and says:

"You're not going to get the best picture out of some fancy big-screen TV without DIRECTV. It's broadcast in 1080i. I totally don't know what that means but I want it."

Well, Time Warner knows what 1080i means and it says DIRECTV is not always delivering it. The cable operator has sued the satcaster, saying its claim about having "the best picture" is false.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in Manhattan, Time Warner says the commercial starring Simpson -- and a similar spot featuring Star Trek's William Shatner -- suggests that DIRECTV offers the best HDTV picture quality on the market. But Time Warner says there's no evidence to prove that.

The lawsuit also contends that DIRECTV has made false advertising claims about the NFL Network, which Time Warner currently does not carry but DIRECTV does. The cable operator says the satcaster's ads say viewers won't be able to watch their local teams unless they get DIRECTV.

Jessica Simpson's DIRECTV spot has Time Warner fired up.

For example, Time Warner says DIRECTV ads published in New York area newspapers says fans there won't be able to watch the December 30 game between the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins unless they subscribe to DIRECTV.

However, Time Warner says the game will be broadcast on WNBC in New York as well as The NFL Network.

DIRECTV refused to comment on the lawsuit Friday, according to the Associated Press.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/timewarnersuit120806.htm

The cable operator says DIRECTV spots featuring Jessica Simpson and William Shatner make false claims about its high-def picture.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (December 8, 2006) -- In a new DIRECTV commercial for its HDTV service, Jessica Simpson posing as her Dukes of Hazzard character Daisy Duke looks into the camera and says:

"You're not going to get the best picture out of some fancy big-screen TV without DIRECTV. It's broadcast in 1080i. I totally don't know what that means but I want it."

Well, Time Warner knows what 1080i means and it says DIRECTV is not always delivering it. The cable operator has sued the satcaster, saying its claim about having "the best picture" is false.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in Manhattan, Time Warner says the commercial starring Simpson -- and a similar spot featuring Star Trek's William Shatner -- suggests that DIRECTV offers the best HDTV picture quality on the market. But Time Warner says there's no evidence to prove that.

The lawsuit also contends that DIRECTV has made false advertising claims about the NFL Network, which Time Warner currently does not carry but DIRECTV does. The cable operator says the satcaster's ads say viewers won't be able to watch their local teams unless they get DIRECTV.

Jessica Simpson's DIRECTV spot has Time Warner fired up.

For example, Time Warner says DIRECTV ads published in New York area newspapers says fans there won't be able to watch the December 30 game between the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins unless they subscribe to DIRECTV.

However, Time Warner says the game will be broadcast on WNBC in New York as well as The NFL Network.

DIRECTV refused to comment on the lawsuit Friday, according to the Associated Press.

Sounds like Time Warner is a bit pissy because they can't provide said material.

NO where did the add say anything about Time Warner. in the Simpson one, or the Shatner one.
I think Time Warner is a bit paranoid.
D* has a point with the last one, being on NFL network and TW not seeing it.
T.W. Does not carry the NFL network and the local channels that subs can see the game on, could be received with an antenna, therefore it just happens to be a channel that TW has in their package, I understand that they would undoubtably have all the locals covered on thier TW programming, but D* is correct, you don't need TW to see any of them.

I think this has been addressed in a previous post as well.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)