Time Warner to Satellite (direct or dish)

nickc71

Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mostly due to cost, poor customer service -- and mostly due to an antiquated system that I have in Los Angeles, CA the Motorola DCH3416... I've had this back in the bay area in 2005 with Comcast and they tell me I can't upgrade to a Moxi or whatever. There are too many ads in the interface and it keeps recording shows that have already been recorded.

Anyway, my question is - I know the pricing plans of Dish and Direct and what they offer through their sites - however I have a few questions...

-Is there anything with their DVR components of either system that allows you to do more than DVR. Tivo really has me excited about the ability to stream Rhapsody off of your television as well as the use of many other Internet based downloading... Does any of the satellite providers allow you to do this? Or are we just basically talking DVRing?

-Does the Ethernet or USB ports allow you to do anything - or are they just for "future Use." I can't do anything with mine...?

-Direct TV offers online DVR recording - does Dish? though homezone sounds fun.

-Is it true that Satellite does not have on demand?

-Lastly - if you were in my shoes would you switch?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

-Is there anything with their DVR components of either system that allows you to do more than DVR?

First off - WELCOME!!!!

Yes (at least I know DirecTV does - I will let Dish guys answer from them. These answers are to the best of my knowledge.)

Does the Ethernet or USB ports allow you to do anything - or are they just for "future Use." I can't do anything with mine...?

Yes

Direct TV offers online DVR recording - does Dish? though homezone sounds fun.

Dish Guys?

Is it true that Satellite does not have on demand?

DirecTV has VoD

Lastly - if you were in my shoes would you switch?

In a heartbeat!

Thanks and sorry for all the questions[/QUOTE]

Don't be sorry and good luck with your decision.

Thanks Charper - what does the ethernet or USB ports allow you to do? Download content (ie music, videos?)? Or upload pics? Mine is literally disabled on my TW box....

Ethernet is used for VoD and sharing and other feature to come, I think the USB is for external storage devices; but I have not done that.

DISH is offering a number of services such as control of recordings and VoD coming "soon" over ethernet.

The USB port on certain DISH receivers can be used to hook up an external HD for additional storage. It also allows you to plug in a memory stick and display photographs.

No firewire.

To be fair, the Motorola DVRs can be configured to transfer content to a computer or DVHS for archive. That archive can be dumped to a DVD and played on a regular DVD player. However, it requires some skill and isn't just automatic. There are sites dedicated to getting the most out of your Motorola box. Now, having said that, the motorola HD DVR is the most frustrating piece of whatever that I have ever owned. I really miss my DISH 622 and look forward to going back as soon as possible (tree issues).

My Thoughts

Mostly due to cost, poor customer service -- and mostly due to an antiquated system that I have in Los Angeles, CA the Motorola DCH3416... I've had this back in the bay area in 2005 with Comcast and they tell me I can't upgrade to a Moxi or whatever. There are too many ads in the interface and it keeps recording shows that have already been recorded.

I don't think your customer service experience will improve markedly with either satellite provider.

Anyway, my question is - I know the pricing plans of Dish and Direct and what they offer through their sites - however I have a few questions...

-Is there anything with their DVR components of either system that allows you to do more than DVR. Tivo really has me excited about the ability to stream Rhapsody off of your television as well as the use of many other Internet based downloading... Does any of the satellite providers allow you to do this? Or are we just basically talking DVRing?

Dish is DVR only at this point.

-Does the Ethernet or USB ports allow you to do anything - or are they just for "future Use." I can't do anything with mine...?

Dish DVR supports an external HD for more storage through the USB port. The Dish DVR uses the ethernet port to "call home'' if you elect to set it up that way. You could also just plug in a phone line and do the same thing. It costs another $5/mo if you don't have one or the other plugged in.

-Direct TV offers online DVR recording - does Dish? though homezone sounds fun.

Don't think Dish has on-line control at this time, but rumors abound.

-Is it true that Satellite does not have on demand?

Dish has VOD, I guess Direct does too.

-Lastly - if you were in my shoes would you switch?

Probably. But that's just me.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I wouldn't presume to tell you what you should do. I'll just say that I switched from T-W to DirecTV in 1999 and never regretted it. We do keep our internet service with them because my wife likes Road Runner, but if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)