Time Warner's policy on sharing cable service with neighbors

Turksat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
New York City
If I just get 2nd box on my account and give that box to my neighbor downstairs, would that be a problem or illegal? We would pay $10 add on for the additional box, and that's it. This is a 2 family private house, not like an apartment, so it would be the same address.

Theoritically, you should have your own account, using the address as 123-B Street Name, but if the cable is already active in your area, and is connected to their cable, then there "theoritically" also shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. I just was not sure, even if it is different address (apt) does Time Warner state we cannot share the cable legally with a second box from them? As long as we both agree on our terms? I guess they don't allow that, otherwise just one person would get a cable in the whole building and everyone else would just get a box for $10... instead of getting a separate service.

Well you can not take your box to another address, it is against their terms of service. If they are a different service address then it would be against their TOS and on the verge of being illegal. If not being flat out illegal.

When we were TWC here the rule was and still is that each power meter counts as a seperate address. So if both of you share the same power meter, then technically you share the same cable account if you chose to. But if you have seperate power service lines then you will need to pay for seperate cable service as well.

Not Smart

I worked for Time Warner for many years... I came accross people doing this in Racine, WI... First when they find out and they do have ways... They do a PING test to your DCTs aka cable boxes and find the average repsonse time... then when one is out of range you will get a surprise vist or they will ask you if your services are ok.... Then when they are out by your house they can disconnect cables to neighbors claiming they are doing "cable work" and have boxes rehit and when the DCT doesnt respond they knock on your door again if not already.. Followed by the police getting involved, and corporate, and so on... Eventually you will get a local fine, county citation, state subpeona, and possibly a federal... but definately the first 3... because that is stealing money from the state, county, and local governent... Eventhough you pay for the extra DCT for $10 per month the person who has the box is not upgraded to a digital package...

This is classified under "Theft of a Telecommunications Provider Signal" and does lead to fines court and imprisonment... YES THEY DO PUNISH FIRST TIME OFFENDERS

Since they're in the same house...I don't think it'd be an issue, and they couldn't find out. If they have a separate cable line coming in from the demarc, it might be possible, and I wouldn't do that. However, since it's in the same house, you should just be able to connect the lines from their part of the house to yours through a splitter and use the same feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)