Timed recordings on Panasonic DMR E55

Nlen

Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Hi -

I just bought a Panasonic DMR E55 and hooked it up to my Dish receiver
(model 301) and my rather ancient RCA television, which has only an
audio/video cable (i.e. no S-video or component video connection).
As far as I can tell, when I want to make a timer recording, I have to
set up the time part in the Panasonic, but set the channel on the Dish
unit. That is, the Panasonic cannot set the channel by itself. Is this
correct?

Sounds right. Make sure you are feeding the satellite signal through the Recorder and then to the TV. I would also try some practice runs with shows you don't have to have recorded in order to become familiar with the unit.

Thanks for the advice, but his is disappointing news, because means that many of the impressive properties of the Panasonic won't work with Dish Network. For example, I cannot use VCRplus. I cannot watch one show while recording another. I cannot arrange for the Panasonic to automatically switch from one channel to another.

You could always use multiple outputs from your Dish receiver. For example: I have an HDMI output to my tv, S-Video output to DVD Recorder, Composite Video output to VCR. ***Be sure to output each to the tv as well***

You could also use an Over the Air Antenna (those old bunny ears can be useful after all) for the locals you want to record and watch something else on satellite. Be creative. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I would connect your 301 with the Panasonic DMR E55 with S-video and audio (L and R), then connect the Video out and audio out from the Panasonic DMR E55 to your RCA TV. You will need to have your DMR E55 on whenever you watch any program but this will give you the best quality of pic and sound. I wouldn't use the TV out from the 301 as the quality is no where close (you can experiment it). With receiver 301, your option is very limited.

Nothing you can do with the VCRplus, sorry. I have TVGuide on my Pioneer DVR but it only works with cable signal. Since I switched from Cable to Dish, I have to program my 322 receiver and my DVD recorder both, whenever I want something time recorded. It's a pain I know, but I don't want to pay the monthly fee for the DVR from Dish and with this set up, I can copy my favorite TV program on a DVD for keeping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts