Timer chops off last minute of some shows

Jim Koenig

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
central minnesota
It is common for some of my timers to stop recording just before the end of the show. I have edited these timers and added a minute to the stop recording time, but it doesn't seem to make a difference how much I adjust this or how many minutes I add--it still stops early. Do any of you have this same problem? Is there a fix? The "Big Bang Theory" is one but there are others. I don't use PTAT since there often are a couple of weeks between recording and viewing.

Are you recording 2 shows back to back from the same channel? With my old 722 the same thing would happen. Doesn't seem happen on the Hopper.

I will try the +2/+2 suggestion and see if that does the trick. I would expect that it should require two separate tuners on shows that are back to back, right? The overlap would require it I suspect. Up to this point, the extra time I added to the end of the timer did not cause the creation fo a separate timer. Thanks everyone.

With the 722, I thought the programming getting truncated was maybe caused by the next hour of programming grabbing the available tuners. Just guessing.

Just starting the Hopper, but PTAT could fix your issue for network programming: It appears within PTAT you can set a program you desire to "save series" and it will save the program to the DVR just as it you set up a seperate timer for it. Those I set that way show up in the regular timer list. Check back a few weeks later and there's all your Big Bang Theory with no last minute time truncated, with the added bonus of AutoHop available to skip over the commerials.

If the prior tuner is on the same channel or the alternative tuner(s) are in use, the current program will be truncated at the start of the new tuner. Setting the first time after to 5 min or more will prevent the second program from truncating the first. This means the second program will not be recorded--it gives and it takes away.

PTAT presents a second problem as it always starts early by 3 minutes, perhaps blocking other earlier recordings.

Save Series is not effective, that is, you cannot save the program to EHD, until your settable PTAT hold time has expired. Exactly when the show is moved from PTAT common stream to EHD-accessible is not clear, nor how it does that as it must break up the stream. You can test if it has been moved by clicking the program and selecting Edit. The size shown will be 0.0 until it has been freed by PTAT. WHile there consider setting Protect.

-Ken

Like said above, just because you wait a few weeks to watch the show, doesn't mean you can't use PTAT. If you select to save the series, it will stay on your DVR until you delete it.

No, actually. In PTAT, once the stream is edited and Autohop is accessible, each show will start and end as expected, no matter when they start or finish in real time. For example, Grey's Anatomy always ends 2-3 minutes late. When using the Save Series option in PTAT, you will get the entire show with no adjusting of timers necessary, plus the Autohop option.

Prior to the stream being edited and available (usually around 1 AM CST for me, 3 hours after PTAT concludes), you may have to skip 5-10 minutes of the prior show to find the correct starting point for your program, and you'll have to skip commercials, but the end point hasn't been an issue.

I've only had my Hopper for a few weeks, so if my info is not correct, someone please jump in and correct me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts