Timer is not working anymore

There is nothing wrong w/ the DVD recorder that I'm using. It turned on at the right time as it is set independently to turn on and record from M to F. That was never the problem.

The problem all along is the VIP 222 Is NOT Switching to the right channel, i.e., Channel 208 at 3 pm EST. Eventhough timer is set to M-F, Auto at channel 208.

In other words, if I were watching channel 200 the night before, the VIP 222 (UHF line 2) stays at Channel 200, at 3 pm EST, eventhough it should automatically jump to channel 208. Do you now understand the problem?

What happens if you put the receiver in solo mode? Will it switch to 208 when the timer fires?

Our problem was you didn't realize you did not make it clear an independent recorder was involved, that's why we wondered if you meant it was not recording (which is what your first post says - set to record with no mention of a separate device) or that it was not tuning to the channel. Clearer now.

Can you pick channel 208 and does the Dish receiver tune to it? As mentioned, does it need to be in solo mode? It shouldn't make a difference, but is channel 208 in whatever guide you are using?

Last edited:
Just an idea. I'm not familiar with the 222. Looking as the back panel on page 19 of the manual (http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/FileStream.ashx?ID=651). Since it is a duo tuner receiver, which tuner is the programmed to auto tune to 208. How are you connected to the dvd recorder? If it is composite are the connections on the back connected to the same tuner as the tuner that is to record channel 208?

what is solo mode? How do you set the receiver to solo mode?
The satellite can tune to 208 no problem, I watch it M-F. There is no problem w/ the signal, it's just not switching to that channel at 3 pm EST.

The output 2 of the VIP22 is connected to the input of my DVD recorder using the RCA red/white/yellow cable, I can record any TV program I want in the past years. The connection is correct. You have to understand, all other TV programs recorded just fine.

How do I find out what tuner is the programmed to auto tune to 208?

what is solo mode? How do you set the receiver to solo mode?

See pages 10-13 in the link I posted above. Single mode outputs the same signal (TV1 tuner) to both outputs and dual outputs TV2 tuner to TV2 outputs. You can change back and forth by pressing the Mode button on the front of your receiver. You can tell which mode it's in by look at the front panel lights. A single box with a light is single mode, if the light show 2 boxes off set your in dual.

It's possible the solo/dual setting got changed with the software download as is being mentioned. But, if you are saying other channels switch over and get recorded on the separate device, just not channel 208 at that time period, then it's not a setting that got changed. I re read your posts, and I am still confused a little. At one point you say it does not switch "at the right time" that is important, what do you mean? It will eventually switch? One thing I do understand, you did not change anything as far as connections, and it recorded to the separate device at the right time before, now it does not. Also, you deleted the timer and replaced it but it still does not work, how about deleting it and replace it with a little different timing, say 2 minutes or 3 before it should start if you are using 1 minute now. Will it let you? If not that is a clue.

One more question, what records on the separate device instead of channel 208? Is it always the same channel? I know you are assuming it is because of the software change, of course it could be, but it also could be a coincidence so don't ignore any possibility.

Last edited:
the OP, bring up your timers menu and look on the left of each timer. Is there a circle with either a 1, 2 or antenna icon in it. If so, what is in the circle for the 2 shows. Are they the same or different?

so switch to solo mode and see if the timer will switch on? Even if it does switch to channel 208, I don't know what good does that do. I can't use solo mode at other time, as I watch 1 channel and record another

so switch to solo mode and see if the timer will switch on? Even if it does switch to channel 208, I don't know what good does that do. I can't use solo mode at other time, as I watch 1 channel and record another

As I posted before, try connecting your dvdr to the TV1 output and see if it records the program. With 2 tuners, if you aren't connected to the one that switches, you won't get the recording.

Update: Today is the only day that I am home and can afford to switch to a different channel because it's a holiday, so there is nothing to tape at CNBC. By switching to Solo mode. The timer DOES switch on correctly. I leave the channel at CNN. When it's 30 sec. before the timer starts, I can see the recording count down, and the box auto switch to 208.

So why does this timer program NOT work during the Dual Mode? As it does work in the old days under Dual mode before the firmware is upgraded. It just stopped switching over when the firmware was upgraded a few months ago. Meaning I didn't have this problem before

As I posted before, try connecting your dvdr to the TV1 output and see if it records the program. With 2 tuners, if you aren't connected to the one that switches, you won't get the recording.

And as I have mentioned before, I have it at TV2 for years. It does switch automatically. And if you read the entire thread, even now, by randomly selecting 1 program (record once) on timer at TV2, it works, it switch.

By randomly selecting 1 program (record M-F) on timer at TV2, it also works, i.e., It does switch. I test it.

I just doesn't switch at that CNBC program Closing Bell from 2 pm EST to 3 pm EST for reason that I don't understand

It's possible the solo/dual setting got changed with the software download as is being mentioned. But, if you are saying other channels switch over and get recorded on the separate device, just not channel 208 at that time period, then it's not a setting that got changed. I re read your posts, and I am still confused a little. At one point you say it does not switch "at the right time" that is important, what do you mean?

I mean at 2 pm EST, TV2 does not switch the show at channel 208 "closing bell" at 2 pm EST. And it NEVER switch. It stays at whatever channel I was watching the night before.

It will eventually switch? One thing I do understand, you did not change anything as far as connections, and it recorded to the separate device at the right time before, now it does not. Also, you deleted the timer and replaced it but it still does not work, how about deleting it and replace it with a little different timing, say 2 minutes or 3 before it should start if you are using 1 minute now.

neat trick, I'll try that trick on the next holiday day that there is no CNBC at 2 pm EST, which will be next Mon. actually.

One more question, what records on the separate device instead of channel 208? Is it always the same channel? I know you are assuming it is because of the software change, of course it could be, but it also could be a coincidence so don't ignore any possibility.

I create 2 tests at 1 night, I simply randomly test Record Once, on TV2 timer, it works.
I then create another timer, M-F, TV2, it also works, it switch over at the right time.

Sorry for the late reply. I am really behind due to the holidays

the OP, bring up your timers menu and look on the left of each timer. Is there a circle with either a 1, 2 or antenna icon in it. If so, what is in the circle for the 2 shows. Are they the same or different?

there is a circle, with the no. 2 on it.

it simply says "Blue Circle with the no. 2" M-F | Closing Bell | Auto
"Blue Circle with the no. 2" M-F | Closing Bell with Mari... | Auto

(I tape 2 programs)