Tips on dropping service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lord_Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Richmond, VA
I am free from my contract with Dish now and I am looking at a FIOS bundle.

With all of the new fees / policies, is there anything I should be careful about when dropping service with DISH?

TIA

If you have no contract, you are free to drop service at no charge. You will be charged $15 for each leased receiver to be returned however.

Drop them through a an online chat session. At least then you will have documented proof of conversation with the CSR. Don't forget to have the thing emailed to yourself, it is an option. When you get your boxes that they charge for, to get 'their' equipment back send it all back asap. The CSR will tell you that you have a month to send it back. The email you will get from Dish Network will tell you ten days to get it back. They can't keep anything straight it seems.

BIG hassle for many to get service shut off. They will ask you why among other things as if they are offended. Then they will tell you about the $25 reconnect fee if you ever decide to come back. Sure seems like they do not want you back as a customer if you ever do drop the service with their attitude.

Yeah, they tell you about the $25 reconnect fee but it doesn't mean much. I left Dish for 2 years and then returned. I got a complete installation for free. That included a new dish, to go western arc, and receivers. Actually, I had to pay $100 to upgrade from a 622 to a 722. That was my choice.

Drop them through a an online chat session. At least then you will have documented proof of conversation with the CSR. Don't forget to have the thing emailed to yourself, it is an option. When you get your boxes that they charge for, to get 'their' equipment back send it all back asap. The CSR will tell you that you have a month to send it back. The email you will get from Dish Network will tell you ten days to get it back. They can't keep anything straight it seems.

So you can cancel through chat now? I remember in the past, they would make you call to cancel.

If you don't get your boxes in a week, call and keep calling them until you get the boxes. They will charge you for non-returned equipment.

When I get unreasonable requests for paying for anything - AKA my paying to ship back their equipment and they have one of my C/C #'s I just change my C/C #'s, let them sue me has worked great so far. Oh and by the way my FICO score is in the high 700's.

I still believe that you have to call in to cancel, that it is not allowed to be done on chat. They want to make it more difficult for you to cancel so that you will be more hesitant on doing so.

Yeah, they tell you about the $25 reconnect fee but it doesn't mean much. I left Dish for 2 years and then returned. I got a complete installation for free. That included a new dish, to go western arc, and receivers. Actually, I had to pay $100 to upgrade from a 622 to a 722. That was my choice.

Well....YMMV then. I canceled over 4 years ago, and when i called to set back up Charlie, they said sure but you will need to provide your own equipment.

Needless to say, I have been with Dave since then, and could not have cared as I have been treated for the most part with respect.

When I get unreasonable requests for paying for anything - AKA my paying to ship back their equipment and they have one of my C/C #'s I just change my C/C #'s, let them sue me has worked great so far. Oh and by the way my FICO score is in the high 700's.

Yea, when you go to get a loan for something and they pull your credit report and see your credit fico score dropped to the 600's because of a $15 chargeoff from DISH Network, you'll pay it.

Not paying them only works when your credit is already bad to begin with.

If you have multiple leased receivers, you might try dropping your service to 1 receiver, then drop service the next month, altogether. That MIGHT get you out of paying the $15 per receiver return fee - might not.

Anybody tried it?

If you have multiple leased receivers, you might try dropping your service to 1 receiver, then drop service the next month, altogether. That MIGHT get you out of paying the $15 per receiver return fee - might not.

Anybody tried it?

When you drop down to 1 receiver you have to return the deactivated ones, and they charge you $15/ea return fee.

I called to drop my service a little over a month ago. I guess it is like anything else. Depends on the CSR you get or something. I have never (in 13 years) threatened to leave in order to get them to give me some thing. I had made up my mind I was dropping dish and I had no bad feelings toward them. When the csr asked me why I was leaving I kept it simple and told her I could not afford to keep it. She told me that if I used the pre-paid labels they sent me it would cost $15 for each receiver and I had 30 days to return them. If I could not remove my lnb I just needed to tell them.... they did not want anyone going on their roof and risking injury in order to do that. They sent the boxes, confirmed I had cancelled, sent me an email telling me they would welcome me back if I ever changed my mind.

Yea, when you go to get a loan for something and they pull your credit report and see your credit fico score dropped to the 600's because of a $15 chargeoff from DISH Network, you'll pay it.

Not paying them only works when your credit is already bad to begin with.

Maybe that's why I pay for what I want - finished 8th grade and learned to run my own business for 41 years, gave it to my son. Myself and he owe NO body for nothing - both our houses paid for, rental also, Escalade, pickups, motor-home, cars, Ca. custom boat pontoon boat and money in the bank. So I really don't care what that would do to that FICO score. Oh and Sprint pays us for their cell tower on our property. so you see I CAN do that.....And I earned the right. Oh and my lifelong friend is a good attorney that might help also ?

E & D are headed to a world of hurt....

Neither appear to want the very low entry level customers, and have ended things like the welcome pack.

E attacked the high end subs with excess fees, so far D hasnt done that:)

Meanwhile bundling discounts many significant savings are attacking the sub base, where good alternatives like FIOS and cable are available.....

as others have said this may leave E & D trying to make a buck on mostly rural subs.

at some point big cable may decide their growth area can be rural areas, for broadband, tv and perhaps phone.

this is setting the stage for decling sales for satellite tv...

kinda like the iceman when refrigerators became affordable........

Anyone that has said you cannot cancel through chat has not done it recently. I did it over a month ago and there was no attempt to force me to call in to cancel instead. I simply went to my account online and used the chat option to cancel. For those that doubt it I have the emailed transcripts of the conversation as well. The only thing they attempted to do in order to keep me on was to tell me I could take a lower priced package. Something I didn't intend to do anyway as I've found a less expensive alternative to being price hiked to death. For anyone interested I'll be glad to post the content if you want the proof.

Reading the forums here some would lead you to believe that you'll be dying to come back and pay the exhortation fees that Dish has to offer but we are getting along just fine and that is even with children in the home. My wife even found some other options to watch new release tv shows that we occasionally miss for free. Just to clear up the naysayers everything we have chosen to do is also completely and totally leagal and provided one way or another by the content providers.

At present we use a Roku box, Netflix, OTA HD, DVD, content provided via the station provider online, and now TV Guide Online DVR. The picture is better, content is everything we watch and more, and best of not 'fee'd to death' or paying jacked up rates from a provider telling people he's 'fighting for us.' Our cord has been cut and as a result is saving us a ton of money a year. I'm tired of pay tv providers greed and others are as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts