tired of dish

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
well i'm getting a little tired of dish.been thinking about time warner cable.what are the advantages and dis.

thanks

TWC will give you everything you are missing from DISH please switch.

Exactly. Seriously dude, no one knows (or cares) what your local TWC offers. You don't even display your location. Why don't you do your own homework and make a decision for yourself. If you lived around here you'd have to be an absolute moron to drop DISH for TWC.

Exactly. Seriously dude, no one knows (or cares) what your local TWC offers. You don't even display your location. Why don't you do your own homework and make a decision for yourself. If you lived around here you'd have to be an absolute moron to drop DISH for TWC.

Posty,

In Western NY TW Cable's HD lineup SUCKS... Dish beats our Local TW franchise 20 (including 6 Local HD channels) to 39 for Dish (using my HDDVR to tune my 5 Local OTA HD channels, CW is only HD on cable because WHAM Is only carrying CW on a sub channel with not enough Bandwidth for CW-HD).

Dish has announced ANOTHER 7 new HD channels with 5 coming online August 15th and 2 coming online September 1st with more to come in Mid September (likely another 5-7 HD Channels coming then as well). Our Local TW franchise will not have anything like that many HD channels for quite some time.

DirecTV is trying to imply they will have hundreds of HD channels this year, but many pf promised channels are only signed contracts with NO Date for those channels to have an actual HD channel, also many of those promised channels are Alternate feeds for the OOM sports packages, ie Sunday Ticket, Center ICE, NBA League Pass, etc... I don't see how DirecTV can count those as channels as in most cases these "CHANNELS" will only be available to OOM subscribers as well as part time and only live during games for a few hours per week.

Both DirecTV and Dish Network are in a HD War, which is great for DBS subscribers, if you want LOTS of HD content then DBS is WHERE IT IS AT.

With all that said its HIGHLY unlikely your cable company will be able to keep up with either DirecTV or Dish Network for the next year or so.

If FIOS is available in your area then that is likely the best provider for HD as it will be FULL BANDWIDTH with NO downrezzing, 1920x1080 HD.

John

Posty,

In Western NY TW Cable's HD lineup SUCKS... Dish beats our Local TW franchise 20 (including 6 Local HD channels) to 39 for Dish (using my HDDVR to tune my 5 Local OTA HD channels, CW is only HD on cable because WHAM Is only carrying CW on a sub channel with not enough Bandwidth for CW-HD).

Dish has announced ANOTHER 7 new HD channels with 5 coming online August 15th and 2 coming online September 1st with more to come in Mid September (likely another 5-7 HD Channels coming then as well). Our Local TW franchise will not have anything like that many HD channels for quite some time.

DirecTV is trying to imply they will have hundreds of HD channels this year, but many pf promised channels are only signed contracts with NO Date for those channels to have an actual HD channel, also many of those promised channels are Alternate feeds for the OOM sports packages, ie Sunday Ticket, Center ICE, NBA League Pass, etc... I don't see how DirecTV can count those as channels as in most cases these "CHANNELS" will only be available to OOM subscribers as well as part time and only live during games for a few hours per week.

Both DirecTV and Dish Network are in a HD War, which is great for DBS subscribers, if you want LOTS of HD content then DBS is WHERE IT IS AT.

With all that said its HIGHLY unlikely your cable company will be able to keep up with either DirecTV or Dish Network for the next year or so.

If FIOS is available in your area then that is likely the best provider for HD as it will be FULL BANDWIDTH with NO downrezzing, 1920x1080 HD.

John

what a great post, dude..you hit the nail on the head!

what a great post, dude..you hit the nail on the head!

It should have been addressed to the OP because I couldn't agree more. However this is not the HD forum and a decision always involves localized factors which maybe we can't fully appreciate. Also there is lots of specialized programming which only certain providers carry. My neighbors carry Dish over local TWC because they want German channels that our local TWC doesn't offer. Nearby in Dayton TWC carries the German channels they would want but their only option here is Satellite. If they lived in Dayton either provider would satisfy their needs.

My post was calling that guy out. It's an unfair question to say which provider is better for me when we don't know anything about you. Maybe this guy doesn't even have HD. Maybe he likes a type of pron only offered on TWC.

All that said, Dish HD is really good in terms in quantity and seem to have a goal of restoring quality after the new birds go up. Dish SD looks good and offers a lot of variety. Also the 622/625 are great boxes.

Yeah cable is behind the times and while they are catching up I see future rate increase as well. Going to cable to me would be a major step back wards but this is just my 2 cents.

I live in a Cleveland, OH, suburb that recently switched from Adelphia to TWC.

A couple of weeks ago, fed up with everything TWC, I moved from to Dish - after doing a lot of homework (most of which has been already been detailed in previous posts) and I am not going back!

HD quality is superb, the 622 DVR is far superior to the Scientific Atlanta boxes (how superior? You won't believe it!) and the channel selection is outstanding (thank you, Dish, for Setanta!)

Stay where you are - I only wish I had done this sooner.

""Stay where you are - I only wish I had done this sooner."" Yeah thats what I hear from many of my friends that have left cable or Direct TV to come to Dish. :)

I live in cincinnati ohio.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Hilarious. Do some research. Nobody in southwest Ohio is happy with Time Warner. THEY SUCK! Dish is by far the best company in the area at the time, only thing they miss is the Cincy local HDs. Most people are able to pick them up without a big problem with an inexpensive antenna. I live in Dayton (which is now part of the Cincy local TWC region) and I never made a better decision than to kick them out of my house. Internet, phone, and cell phones are all AT&T. TV through Dish. Happiest I've been in 10 years of subscribing to all the services.

I live in Columbus, TWC DVR is terrible, They just made a transition to OCAP software (with their own little revisions to make it horrendous) on their 8300HD-DVR's. It is soooo bad..What is wrong with it?

1. A/V sync problems

2. Box crashes (15 minute reboot time w/OCAP )

3. HDCP problems over HDMI (will inform you your TV is not HDCP compliant & shutdown the video feed)

4. Dolby dropout during the middle of a show/resync. i.e watching a show in 7.1, loses digital audio data for a second, causing a 3-5 second gap while your receiver reacquires the signal.

5. You can't even see how much space you have used, or have left on the DVR (can you ssay gee...wouldn't that be nice?) unless you know how to put the reciever in diag mode & go through 15 pages of diag info

Granted I am a litlte peaved with Dish right now, but those are some of the reasons I abandoned Cable...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)