Tivo and SONY to combine efforts

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Tivo and SONY to combine efforts

Well, my first 'bit' of 'news' is something I picked up from a Tivo insider at the CES today.

Seems SONY and Tivo have extended their licencing agreement (see TivoToGo for PSP) with specific use in the PS3 gaming console.

An announcement is not forthcoming until E3 2008 but from what I heard SONY and Tivo will co-brand an add-on unit for approximately $100 that will bring Tivo functionality (DVR functionality) to your PS3. (The included photo is NOT a mock up of the Tivo add-on, there was nothing for me to see, but is the PlayTV add-on coming to the UK/EU later this year) If sales go well, a future revision of the PS3 platform may build this functionality into the console itself and allow Tivo to broaden its user base in the US and Canada. This is an exciting development for PS3 and SONY's attempts to claim your living room.

WOW. Would be even better than the playtv setup, probably.
...not if you have to pay for a TiVo subscription based on their current rate structure. I have no problem with the subscription fee on the first DVR, but they need to offer much better subscription rates for people having multiple DVRs in my opinion. More than 70% of the programming we watch is from the major network broadcasters, which is obtained using an OTA antenna. PlayTV and the upcoming EchoStar TR-50 will be welcomed addition. Likewise, this external PS3/TiVo box is an interesting possibility...if the purchase and subscription prices is right.

...not if you have to pay for a TiVo subscription based on their current rate structure. I have no problem with the subscription fee on the first DVR, but they need to offer much better subscription rates for people having multiple DVRs in my opinion. More than 70% of the programming we watch is from the major network broadcasters, which is obtained using an OTA antenna. PlayTV and the upcoming EchoStar TR-50 will be welcomed addition. Likewise, this external PS3/TiVo box is an interesting possibility...if the purchase and subscription prices is right.

You are correct. I always forget about their pricing. Main reason I lost interest in them.

I love their software, but its not worth the $$$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)