Tivo connected to an 811. Possible to record HD?

Bernie Lomax

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
I love my Tivo and I'm just getting all the options and controls ironed out. What I cannot do is record HD programming from OTA stations. Is it possible to make my Tivo recognize the HD channels? 004-1, 025-1, etc. ??

Unless you have HD-Tivo, you can only record SD signal on your regular Tivo. You can recorder the HD channel content in SD formart only.

hzhao said:
Unless you have HD-Tivo, you can only record SD signal on your regular Tivo. You can recorder the HD channel content in SD formart only.

That's correct, but I don't think that's what he was asking. I also have and 811 hooked up to a Tivo, I've been using the TV's tuner to pull in my OTA HD, so this was never an issue for me. But this weekend I plan to put up a new antenna and run it through the 811 tuner. Since the picture quality will be significantly better, i'd also like the tivo to recognize my OTA locals as opposed to the grainy ones I get from Dishnetwork. If anybody is doing this, please let us know how.

It seems to me what I set up my tivo, I had to tell it I was using DishNetwork, then it just downloaded Dishes' channels into its memory. I know after it did that, I had the opportunity to delete surperfluous channels, but I don't remember if it gives you the opportunity to ADD other channels, such as OTA locals. Anybody know?

Your tivo does not have HD inputs (Like component video or DVI) so you cannot record in HD. You would be able to feed the downrezzed HD channels from your 811 to your tivo but it will not record in HD.

I have my 811 hooked up to my Media Center PC and i regularly record HDNet on it, but again, it's only in SD.

People, what I'm asking, and what I think Bernie Lomax here is asking, is this:

How do you get Tivo to learn the OTA channels you receive through your 811?

upNdown said:
People, what I'm asking, and what I think Bernie Lomax here is asking, is this:

How do you get Tivo to learn the OTA channels you receive through your 811?

Not sure you can do this. I have an SD TiVO hooked up to a slave SD Dish receiver and an outdoor antenna. The TiVO lists all Dish channels and I select the ones I want to watch. It then finds analog OTA channels via the antenna and includes those in it's EPG. To my knowledge, the Digital OTA numbers you receive via the 811 and would want to record (e.g., channel 2-1, 4-1, etc.) on the TiVO will not be available because: 1) You are not given the option to select them under the Dish setup because it lists satellite channels only, and 2) The TiVO OTA receiver is analog-only and will not pick up the DT stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)