TiVo Explores New Over-The-Air Frontier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Frontier Communications has become the first MVPD to ink a deal to offer a co-branded version of the TiVo Roamio OTA, a new HD-DVR model from TiVo initially sold at retail that provides access to a mix of over-the-air broadcast TV and over-the-top content from sources such as Netflix and YouTube.

In a move that targets a group of so-called “cord-cutters” and consumers who have resisted subscribing to traditional pay-TV services, Frontier will pitch the Roamio OTA to its base of broadband-only customers starting in mid-2015.

multichannel.com

Nice! If you have a branded device along with a branded service, it makes good marketing sense to extend those together. As good as third-party brands may be -- and I'm very happy with Mediacom's Pace XG-1 TiVo box -- the perception is that the "real McCoy" is better.

In those areas that have broader OTA available, that seems to make sense. Here, unless you really want to spend big bucks on an outdoor antenna with rotor, only about 8 channels are available OTA. So for me, the OTA Tivo makes no sense. The Roamio Plus for cable TV certainly does though. I use mine for Mediacom cable and many streaming services, excellent is the best way to describe how it all works together.

I like, but how does this work with TIVO's current emphasis on putting better features into the cable only boxes? Makes me wonder what percentage of TIVO sales outside of the OEM ones is for the basic model?

Well Tivo has a Roamio with 4 tuners that can do either OTA or cable and it has all the features of the cable only I think. Quite a few discuss that unit in the Tivo community forums.

I have the 4 tuner Roamio Basic with lifetime which does OTA or Cable.

Tivo also puts out a 4 Tuner OTA only receiver, the Roamio OTA. Roamio OTA requires monthly sub only, no lifetime sub available, but it works just like the other Roamio line receivers.

I am aware of the current offerings. What I was trying to say was that features like TIVO stream or MOCA adapter are add ons for the basic, but included in the higher end models. You also can't get a larger HDD from TIVO, although it is easy to add one these days.

I forgot about those things because I don't use them, my bad. All of that said, I think that the one Frontier is going to use is the OTA only version, which is a very stripped version from what I've read.

I forgot about those things because I don't use them, my bad. All of that said, I think that the one Frontier is going to use is the OTA only version, which is a very stripped version from what I've read.
The only difference between the Tivo OTA and the Roamio Basic is the elimination of the cable card slot. (and the no lifetime on the OTA)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts