Tivo hearing today?

People, remember, paying them the $104m doesn't let them off scott-free. They still have to prove that their software no longer infringes (or TiVo has to prove it does infringe). The case is NOT over with this payment.

Maybe this will get the Dish folks (myself included) some new HD offerings to soften the blow to PR. I am sure folks are going to jump over this for fear of losing their DVRs. If Dish is going to ultimately lose and lose their DVRs, the least they could do is give me VOOM back.

If E* spent as much on technical support and customer service as it does for its high-priced legal team, they would be the premier provider of Pay TV. Instead, they keep their infamous (in the courts they work in) legal sharks billed hours high and their service to the customers low.

Come on Charlie, just pay the money and get on with the business.

People, remember, paying them the $104m doesn't let them off scott-free. They still have to prove that their software no longer infringes (or TiVo has to prove it does infringe). The case is NOT over with this payment.

Or from the judge finding that they have been in contempt of his order to DISH to have the DVRS turned off that was given in his ruling on the case. It may get interesting.

"We believe that the design-around does not infringe Tivo's patent and that Tivo's pending motion for contempt should be denied. We look forward to that ruling in the near future. "

Somehow that statement doesn't make me feel good about the future of their DVRs. :(
It shouldn't...if the Judge enforces the plain language of the court order. But who know???

If E* spent as much on technical support and customer service as it does for its high-priced legal team, they would be the premier provider of Pay TV. Instead, they keep their infamous (in the courts they work in) legal sharks billed hours high and their service to the customers low.

Come on Charlie, just pay the money and get on with the business.
Welcome to the world of corporate thinking.

My CEO thinks nothing of spending $5K on ANOTHER laptop for him to carry around for a week before he hates that one too but if I ask for a Barracuda Spam Firewall for $5K, that's ridiculous.

Not only does it not let them off scott free.
But also do not expect this payment to be made directly out of Dish's pockets.
Look forward to a larger than normal February price hike next year.
I hope I am wrong.

I love TIVO's press release which they have not-so-cleverly disguised as a 'news' article:

TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), the creator of and leader in television products and services for digital video recorders (DVR), offered the following statement today on the ruling by the United States Supreme Court to deny an appeal by EchoStar Communications Corporation...

I love TIVO's press release which they have not-so-cleverly disguised as a 'news' article:

TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), the creator of and leader in television products and services for digital video recorders (DVR), offered the following statement today on the ruling by the United States Supreme Court to deny an appeal by EchoStar Communications Corporation...

DISH did the same thing.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/081006/lam523.html?.v=21

Not only does it not let them off scott free.
But also do not expect this payment to be made directly out of Dish's pockets.
Look forward to a larger than normal February price hike next year.
I hope I am wrong.

It's a bit less than the cost of a satellite I think. :) Raising rates is going to be the least of E*'s problems. I suspect a fairly large loss of subscribers is coming up for this quarter. D* has added lots of HD locals and is on schedule for adding a bunch more before the end of the year (96 current and 25 more scheduled by year-end). There are several around me who switched when the HD locals became available. We aren't even on E*'s radar for HD locals and we're DMA 83. They're adding three other smaller IL DMAs by year-end as well: Peoria-Bloomington-Normal (116), Rockford (132) and Quad Cities (97). E* is in big trouble on that front. They'll probably also lose subs when the AT&T agreement expires in January. I just don't think that EA is going to help them very much in the short term.

But also do not expect this payment to be made directly out of Dish's pockets. Look forward to a larger than normal February price hike next year. I hope I am wrong.
Did you read the statement ? Dish has had the money in an escrow account for years and they're not making that up. Read their annual reports too as they have been reporting this $100m that's been set aside for this specific settlement just in case. SEC regulations and good accounting practices dictate that they report it or account for it this way.

Did you read the statement ? Dish has had the money in an escrow account for years and they're not making that up. Read their annual reports too as they have been reporting this $100m that's been set aside for this specific settlement just in case. SEC regulations and good accounting practices dictate that they report it or account for it this way.

Funny how the gloom and doomers don't read thoroughly.:rolleyes:

tivo must be saved, funny how their stock price is down more than five percent today after this "Huge" announcement. 100 mil just does not do much when you are losing subscribers left and right

In this case it is correct that they have the money in an escrow account, but I believe that was by order of the court. Neither the SEC nor accounting practices require that they actually set money aside, they would only require that the amount be accrued for when it became probable that they would be required to pay it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)